The Other Anders

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 11 posts - 271 through 281 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    The Other Anders
    Participant

Hi OtherFool, whoever you are.

Did you see my notes from the Molde concert?

http://folk.uio.no/ahustvei/mp/molde_190702.html

(Sorry, I never made artwork for my recordings)

in reply to: Copenhagen, Loppen 16.11.09 #15309
      The Other Anders
      Participant

Hi M / prof_stoned!

I didn’t realise until now that it was you! Nice to hear from you.

Are going to any of the upcoming shows?

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12103
        The Other Anders
        Participant

I decided to drop the expensive Tønsberg gig after the disappointing Drammen gig. That is why you see no report from me, sorry.

Looking forward to the HMF tour more than ever!

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12095
          The Other Anders
          Participant

Judged by the first concert, this tour should not have been sold as Motorpsycho and Supersilent, it should have been sold as Supersilent with special guests/friends.

I did not expect Motorpsycho songs, although I had hoped they would use the opportunity to visit and experiment with a couple of themes or parts from the MP catalogue. If not that, I had at least hoped for a 50/50 sharing between the freeform stuff and something more structured.

But what we got last night was a Supersilent concert. It could have been any band up there on stage with them, I do not think we would have noticed any difference. Kenneth spent two hours “jazzing”, playing with his tam-tams, and hitting the edge of his drums with the wrong end of the stick in the same erratic way all night through. Not very impressive at all. Maybe he has got an education in jazz drumming, and maybe that is my problem, but he is an excellent metal and rock drummer. He is not a jazz drumer in my ears. What I heard yesterday was a two hour job application for the drummer slot in Supersilent.

What I missed yesterday was someone taking responsibility. A theme, a rythm, a pattern, structure, anything, to take us out of this endless intro, this endless promising build up, that eventuelly ended up in nothing but unreleased suspense. Everytime. I missed progression, dynamics and ideas. Someone who dared take a step forward and do something.

Thinking of it, I have seen interviews with Bent explaining how it will be a challenge for them to play free form, being used to structure. But I have seen no interviews with Helge Steen explaining how it will be a challenge for Supersilent to play structured being used to free form.

And therein lays my problem, I think.

(Another problem is ticket prices. Drammen was 28 euros, tonight Tønsberg is 35.)

in reply to: Øyafestivalen #16477
            The Other Anders
            Participant

Taken into account the current band, and the musical state they are in, having them play Timothy’s Monster feels kind of like many opportunities lost.

I always saw Timothy’s Monster as a collection of good songs, rather than an epic masterpiece tending towards a concept album, which is how I see Demon Box and Angels And Daemons At Play, and to a certain extent Trust Us.

This is a great opportunity lost to finally perform Mountain live again, and to revisit the old metal songs together with an out-of-this-world metal drummer. Both vocalists being in the best form of their lives, I think Bent would totally have pulled off Sheer Profundity and Feedtime. Snah could also sing them, he proved that already when Loaded was in the setlist in 2004.

This was also a great opportunity to perform ALL of Angels And Daemons, and finally tag Have Spacesuit, Will Travel to the end of Un Chien, where it has been missing all these years.

Trust Us has already been revisited a lot by the new lineup, so it was maybe the least essential of my three choices. But through the last three years together with Kenneth we have also seen some of the strongest performances of Trust Us songs such as Superstooge, Psychonaut, 577 and Vortex Surfer, and the bands new musical direction seems to own a lot to this part of their musical past.

All three records have a huge chunck of the progressive, heavy and jam elements which fits so well with the Motorpsycho of today, and which I do not see so much in the majority of the songs on Timothy’s Monster.

I am afraid that the first hour of the concert is gonna be a nice stroll down memory lane with many good, little, five minutes songs, rather than a wild ride of awesome jams and rejuvenited masterpieces.

Being the old, travelling geezer I am, it is of course the songs not performed in a long time which are attached to the biggest excitement: Leave It Like That, A Shrug & A Fistful, Beautiful Sister and Wearing Yr Smell.

That said, Grindstone is for sure going to be the most exciting song to me at Øya, together with The Wheel. Luckilly, these songs have got all of the elements above: They are progressive and heavy, and the band can jam it out if they choose to. In fact, when the concert finally reaches sides four and five of the LP I will probably think I am in heaven anyway.

in reply to: 2 spare tickets for Heidelberg #16465
              The Other Anders
              Participant

Hi Thomas, I’d like the other one, please:-) Anders

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO TOUR – MAY 2010 #14494
                The Other Anders
                Participant

Red Mosquito: That is a good idea. I feel exactly the same way. I would love to be able to join just for the MP content of the festival this year (don’t know yet if I can, so no plans made yet), but as long as there is a MP tour going on, I would not blow my whole money and time load down there. Then I’d probably go back there another year and stay the whole festival when MP is not touring. Will you write Dunajam with your question?

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO TOUR – MAY 2010 #14493
                  The Other Anders
                  Participant

That said, Berlin seems to fall outside of the Ryan Air network, all I find is Lufthansa costing several houndreds of euros. Hm… And yes, Fillmore, 600 euro for the ticket is a lot, even when it includes accomodation and food. That is what I would use for a complete Roskilde, ticket and all. Or an Øya Festival.

Blueberry daydreaming… (NP: Motorpsycho @ Centralstation, Darmstadt 25.04.2000)

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO TOUR – MAY 2010 #14490
                    The Other Anders
                    Participant

Ryan Air have several routes to Alghero on Sardinia. I can for instance fly directly from Billund, Denmark on June 2nd, back June 6th, for less than 100 euro. There is of course several direct routes from Italy (Pisa, Milan, Girona, Rome), as well as from Nice, Barcelona, Madrid, London, etc, etc. Many possibilities. Does not seem to be much effort at all. http://www.aeroportodialghero.it/home_en.asp

Ryan Air from Düsseldorf til Alghero and back every Monday and Friday…

Out June 4th, back June 7th costs 71.48 + administration fee right now at Ryan Air.

You live not far from Düsseldorf, Red Mosquito, if you are who I think you are? (What’s up with all the secret names in here? I like to know who I am talking to. We don’t walk around with paper bags covering our heads when we meet in public, do we?)

Anyway, I do not know the date(s) MP will play Dunajam, but it seems june 4th-6th is a good guess the way the tour schedule looks right now.

(Holy crap, that was many typos in one posting. Edited twice.)

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO TOUR – MAY 2010 #14484
                      The Other Anders
                      Participant
                        in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO TOUR – MAY 2010 #14439
                        The Other Anders
                        Participant

10.06.2010 is Aalborg, not Copenhagen. There are several venues called “Studenterhuset” in Denmark, and the ticket link does not say which one, except “Jylland” which is Danish for “Jutland” (mainland DK). Aalborg is in the north of mainland Denmark, ca 5 hours by train from Copenhagen.

The website of Studenterhuset in Aalborg confirmes the date: http://www.studenterhuset.dk/

It is a great venue with a capacity of 460 people.

Viewing 11 posts - 271 through 281 (of 281 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994