Bartok

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Bartok
    Participant

:smoke:

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #32012
      Bartok
      Participant

@mefisto – Hehe, I see your point. We're all fans after all, and they've always got flak for all their spec-editions, right from the beginning. But let them have fun and do their thing is my philosophy, I find all this pretty refreshing and (too!) rare. And why on earth would you (I meant "I") want to buy everything? Speaking for myself, I'm a proud non-owner of Barracuda 8) And A LOT of other stuff. But I agree, this box was a bit expensive, with the shipping and all. But wtf. It's the 25th anniversary of the great DB, a conceptual and contextual treatment, and this is how it was intended, live with it I guess.

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #32010
        Bartok
        Participant

Hear hear! A very good thing.

And I don't get this urge for people to always want cheaper options perfectly accommodated to their own tastes. Arrogant? A consequence of downloading-culture? The books were apparently what initiated this whole boxset, or at least how they intended it to be, this anniversary edition. And they are in pamphlets because of the Ken Kesey/Demon Box connection, pretty neat if you ask me, and a kinda weird thing to complain about. As for the people who don't speak norwegian: don't forget this is a norwegian band after all, it's like complaining that "En konsert for folk flest" was in norwegian. Ramslie is a norwegian author. I find it all pretty unreasonable. But who knows, maybe the pamphlets will be translated if there is a need, though I know from experience that these kind of things are both time-consuming and expensive.

Anyway. Life goes on, with or without the pick and choose customizable boxset of your dreams, Hans Boller et al. (how dare you :wink: )

BTW – Elon Musk should have played Un chien d'espace instead of Starman in his space-tesla, would have been epic.

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #31997
          Bartok
          Participant

! If you don't like it, don't buy it !

I totally agree, it's really that simple. Maybe I'm blessed not being a completist, and I won't be getting the box because DB is not my favourite record of the band, so why should I get it?

But if they treated their 94-98 production this way I would prob pay up, or at least get the books because if there is one thing I am interested in 20 years later it would be a literary/biographical treatment of the band during this period of time. The music I already know, and already love. But the nerd in me needs information!

As for the other "specials", En Konsert for folk flest, Begynnelser and the Unicorn: These are all my favourite Kenneth-era recordings, even beating the Tower, so they are of course all worth the price in my mind. Bring it on – more conceptual weirdness in nice Rune packaging! Though they seem to be flowing out every other year so I'm pretty happy. If not, it's also OK, the world will still keep spinning. And I will always have Guinevere on my mind. And maybe a future Trust Us boxset.

And I'm sure all the DB people out there will be very happy w this box. As for the completists – tough luck! :P

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #31989
            Bartok
            Participant

The books are about Motorpsycho, in the period before, during and after the recording of DB, with I suppose a lot of digressions and insights, judging from Ramslies great contribution in Supersonic Scientists. I'm sure they will be well worth reading, esp for us who enjoy those sorts of things. And the records speak for themselves. And the BOX looks great, with a lot of price-options so I don't see why this is a problem, look at what you will be getting! And I'm sure most people can find a way to play a Blue Ray. It's not like MP are out to hustle their fans, on the contrary, what a surprise, and what a gift. Also happy to read Bents thoughts on those concerts, and the magic of the Geb/Bent/Snah/Helge constellation, it really was a special time, and they were really in sync w the culture, and helped define it, whatever Bent might think;)

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #31946
              Bartok
              Participant

Wow. Maybe I'm missing something, but does anybody know what exactly is on the LPs? DB?

in reply to: California EP #30729
                Bartok
                Participant

@doglicksman: Not impressed. Grow up.

in reply to: California EP #30724
                  Bartok
                  Participant

@doglicksman Jeez, that’s pathetic. Get a life dude, you sound like Trump. Sad.

in reply to: 2017-11-08 Köln, Bürgerhaus Stollwerck #31222
                    Bartok
                    Participant

@Punji Thanks for the reports, I thoroughly enjoy your fresh input and commitment, I wish more people on your exiled island;) would open their minds to MP – it would be great w more shows over there, I remember seeing them in (I think) Camden around 2001/02, and I brought all my Brit friends who totally loved it, in what must have been a pub, the “stage” was on the floor, or maybe a feet high, and although it was a great show it was a bit …sad, w mostly Norwegians abroad. But they put on a great show. They should have filled theaters all around the country. It’s Britain! Anyway. Happy that you discovered them and hope you spread the word, the Köln show seems amazing.

@otherdemon Amen!

in reply to: Dime – Please help. #31120
                      Bartok
                      Participant

Sounds good! Where can I find motortrades and who do I ask?

in reply to: Hello! New member #30875
                        Bartok
                        Participant

Yes man, we were blown away at an early age and can’t totally recuperate, (un)fortunately! But I love The Tower and the mature MP, how can you not? But sure, growing up with a band is indeed special, some bonds never break, and shouldn’t. This thing happening now, new peak, new great drummer, great setlists etc etc, almost 30 years in is pretty wild. And Shakti, I feel you (both w concert wishes and 40, turned a couple of months ago, it’s fine!) and will send a prayer to MP-heaven for Rad.Freq. in Larvik (and in Stockholm where I hopefully will catch them if everything works out). And after all, how lucky were and are we? There’re still out there. Playing. Amazing.

in reply to: Hello! New member #30871
                          Bartok
                          Participant

@kippenhok U know where I might be able to find some of these? Esp Oslo 1996 which I guess was the spring show at Rockefeller? Great setlist and sound. Which of these is your favourite?

EDIT: Found the Oslo show, so great, now in a wormhole going through the old EPs YouTube vids etc, even maiden voyage, its been years, but oh my, how good they were. From day one! Politician, Queen Chinee, How was I to know, and that early Blueberry Daydream cut, amazing. Beats everything until DB. Even found a live version of Big Surprise from 98 which is pure indie-rock bliss. That whole era 94-98 casts such a heavy shadow I can’t see how any band would be able to survive it. Well, they have, sorta. But how I miss their melodies and punk psych rock abandon. The new stuff is great, but my heart will unfortunalety always be in the 90s w MP, it was kind of bizarre how much everything just clicked, how easily the songs came, how it just poured out of them, how good Geb was (I almost forgot), how the record sleeves looked, how they looked, how abs right everything was. All good bands have these intense period, but this level is quiet astounding, even for a great band. Ok, I’m 40, so I guess I’ll always be a 90s kid at heart.. All the emotions, insane. Ok, now I’ll give The Tower a spin, eh

in reply to: 2017-09-23 Konserthuset, Oslo #30803
                            Bartok
                            Participant

@Supernaut – it must be your connection, I downloaded the entire show today and it worked like a dream. Now seeding!

@Phoots – I had to email the dime people (see the FAQ) and they upgraded my account immediately so I could start downloading.

in reply to: 2017-09-23 Konserthuset, Oslo #30798
                              Bartok
                              Participant

@Blashyrkh Aw, alright, thanks.

in reply to: 2017-09-23 Konserthuset, Oslo #30796
                                Bartok
                                Participant

The Un Chien sample sounds great btw

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 126 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994