Devotional

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 143 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 05.03.11 Rockefeller, Oslo, space cadet glow! #19289
    Devotional
    Participant

Here's "Close Your Eyes". It seems to be OK, so I've made it public. Feel free to pass it around, and let me know if you have any other requests!

in reply to: 05.03.11 Rockefeller, Oslo, space cadet glow! #19288
      Devotional
      Participant

Thanks otherdemon and Un.Chien.d.Espace! "Nothing to Say" was the only track the audience around me sang. It sounds like a bad night at the pub, I know, but at least there was some kind of participation there.

Check back tomorrow for "Close Your Eyes". :)

in reply to: 05.03.11 Rockefeller, Oslo, space cadet glow! #19284
        Devotional
        Participant

Been struggling all day with the sound that disappears for the last two minutes when I upload it to YouTube. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I found one poster with a similar problem, but he had no answers. The codec is AAC (faac) 320 kbps. Maybe I should try a lower bitrate? That would suck, though, because everything is transcoded at YouTube. Any ideas?

I'll keep on working with it, and in the meantime you can watch it (and listen to the first 12 minutes). Give it the 720p HD treatment, and please let me know what you think!

PS: It looks a bit better in the native YouTube player with proper 16:9 widescreen than the 4:3 on this site. Just click the video to go there.

Please don't post the link anywhere until I've fixed the problem.

in reply to: 05.03.11 Rockefeller, Oslo, space cadet glow! #19277
          Devotional
          Participant

Hm. I tried to upload it, but for some strange reason there was no sound during the last 2 minutes or so. This is not the case in the original file. I'll try to re-upload!

in reply to: 05.03.11 Rockefeller, Oslo, space cadet glow! #19276
            Devotional
            Participant

Regarding the complete video – I certainly didn't aim to make a great concert video of the band, as I simply don't have the equipment to do so (my camera has many limitations – including mono sound and no zoom), but having seen through the whole thing, I've come to the conclusion that I might have been a bit hard on myself. I've treasured much worse quality videos than this before, and it is what it is; a good, but shaky little document from the gallery, with only a single head in the way of a completely clear view.

The sound could also have been worse for a mobile cam, and is even arguably more balanced than the sound captured downstairs by Wouter and andreutzac (probably has more to do with the P.A. than our microphones). Their two videos are much steadier than mine, though. Great work there, guys! Maybe kaizer shot some film as well? His stuff is always good, and I saw him down the front.

I've decided to upload my version of "Mountain" / "Nothing To Say" to YouTube later today, and there are two reasons for that:

1. That is the worst part of the gig in terms of shakiness by quite a large margin, and if you can live with that without getting seasick, the chances are big that you will enjoy the rest of the show.

2. It's already uploaded in stellar video quality by Wouter, so you guys can compare video and audio, and decide for me if it's worth the effort (going to take me quite a few hours to do the whole thing).

So check it out if you like. If the response is good, I'll upload the whole gig, and if the response is great, I might make a DVD out of it and offer it through Motortrades. The reason why I don't do that right away is because I have my doubts that there will be any interest at all, but as you said, fillmore, if no other complete recordings turn up, then at least it's something.

I'll let you guys know when it's up!

in reply to: 05.03.11 Rockefeller, Oslo, space cadet glow! #19265
              Devotional
              Participant

You pretty much said it there, HeartattackMac. I too have mixed feelings, but I think that mostly comes from the set-list feeling a bit "incomplete" to me. And apart from some slight moshing in the front, the response was the most reserved I've seen and heard from an Oslo-crowd, but there were still plenty of stupid beer-throwing idiots on the gallery. That being said – at least there were very few quiet moments during this gig, so nothing was spoiled by talking.

I think that the band was mostly fine. The new songs sounded promising, and had plenty of brilliant moments, but I have to say that the absolute low-point for me was Pills. It sounded way tired, and the jam went absolutely nowhere. At one point Bent and Snah looked at each other with that "How do we get out of this?"-look. If they'd swapped that with "Timothy's Monster" or "Heartattack Mac" from the same record, the gig might have taken on a new dimension. "Greener" was actually better tonight than in 2009, although the audience didn't sing this time around.

Bent and Kenneth seemed to be in a really "light" mood, playing tighter than ever, and going everywhere rhythmically with ease, while Snah seemed to be in a "deeper" and "slower" place. And while he wasn't constantly "on fire", I think it's a long stretch to call him "uninspired". His tone was amazing, and he explored some really interesting and unusual stuff to my ears, at least. For instance during "Starhammer", he played a pattern that resembled the flute in the opening of "Ruckzuck" by Kraftwerk. I also love those noisy Neil Young meets Kevin Shields-moments there were plenty of tonight.

The "Kill Devil Hills -> Hallucifuge -> The Alchemyst"-section was really powerful, with Bent only showing any signs of reservation through his vocals. His playing was flawless. And I agree that "Close Your Eyes" might have been the highlight. It was psych heaven at times, and Snah was simply spot on. Kenneth's drumming was also economic and great here. He has really blossomed in the MP-shirt.

I filmed the whole gig in HD, but the results are unspectacular. The sound is sub-par mono, and I was so into the music that the camera is shaky to the point of being surprisingly unwatchable at times from the bits I've checked out. Guess I could have sacrificed a lot more for the video, but I didn't want to let it take me away from the experience. I doubt there will be much interest in this gig anyway, but if there is, I can always put some stuff up on YouTube. Just let me know!

in reply to: Spring tour 2011? #18525
                Devotional
                Participant

Where is the setlist from Tønsberg, people? The only reports I've found so far is a Facebook-post that said "magic", and a blog that said "too many annoying air-guitarists". :-/

in reply to: Stavanger concert #18651
                  Devotional
                  Participant

WOW! That's a fantastic setlist, and what a massive and welcome surprise "Lighthouse Girl" is!

in reply to: Øyafestivalen #16517
                    Devotional
                    Participant

There is definitely a rights-question involved here. It costs a fortune to license stuff from NRK (which was why they didn’t do it for Hair Cuts), which means that this might be a good thing, as the band still record pretty much every show they do themselves.

in reply to: Timothy’s Moster 4CD-Box (2010 Re-Release) #17826
                      Devotional
                      Participant

Still haven’t heard anything about pre-order. Looking so much forward to this!

in reply to: Arena, Wien, 01.06.10 #17375
                        Devotional
                        Participant

Thanks! Setlist corrected and complete!

in reply to: Arena, Wien, 01.06.10 #17373
                          Devotional
                          Participant

Thanks nooneimportant! So that means:

Year Zero

Manmower (w/ super space midpart)

The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond (Arne H)

The Alchemyst

Greener

Mountain

Whole Lotta Diana

Starhammer

All Is Loneliness

Come On In

S.T.G.

I.C.U. (Boinganoid)

The Visitant

Sunchild

X-3

Gullible’s Travails

in reply to: Bremen, 26.05.2010 #17129
                            Devotional
                            Participant

“Timothy’s Monster”?!?! OMFG! Probably my favourite off AADAP, and that has been played only THREE times before in history! Here’s hoping for a recording!

in reply to: MOUNTAIN #17045
                              Devotional
                              Participant

Fantastic!

Ever since I first heard “Starhammer”, I’ve felt that it would be the perfect track to segue into “Mountain” from. Maybe that will happen during this tour, after all?

in reply to: Øyafestivalen #16495
                                Devotional
                                Participant

Air, Iggy and the Stooges, M.I.A., The Gaslight Anthem, Raekwon, Serena Maneesh, Shining and State Electric are all playing wednesday.

Source: http://www.musikknyheter.no/news/6608

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 143 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994