mamenes

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Live Club – Trezzo d'Adda, Milano (I) 28-5-2019 #35671
    mamenes
    Participant

Hi, after years of read-only creeping, I’ve finally registered. Not sure why here and why now, but here goes my first post.

I can’t say much about the overall sound, as I was standing almost at the front/center, but what I can say is that, from time to time, Bent stepped on some supercompressing, all-swallowing fuzz pedal that completely blotted out the rest of the band, Tomas included. It sure sounded glorious to be fair, but it was probably a bit too frequent for my taste.

Reine is amazing and will always be a welcome 4th member in my books, for those reasons The Other Anders mentioned.

The set was full of highs but there were also some lows (by MP standards of course, boy are we spoiled!). The second part of Ship Of Fools was very slow. I wasn’t the biggest fan of this song when I first heard it on The Tower, but after seeing it a few times live and hearing it on RW5, it totally won me over as a set highlight, especially the break parts with Taurus in the second half. Last nights version felt tired.

I didn’t really like the jam in Lacuna/Sunrise either: it felt like aimless noodling for the most part. It had little to do with the incredible, fat out crescendo on RW5 or the other times I saw it on The Tower tour. But that’s the beauty of improvisation: sometimes it’s magic, other times not so much. I’m not the biggest fan of The Crucible material but I really enjoyed Lux Aeterna (those choruses are massive live in concert!) and the noisy part of the title track.

The Tower was a hell of a bold start! I was hoping for a Hell pt7 digression, but not this time unfortunately. I was also hoping for Hogwash, which I’ve never seen live somehow… so it stings a bit to learn that it was replaced by You Lied.

Mountain ruled. Reine’s lead work really shines here! Oh and on 577 too.

On The Other Fool Bent sang: “Let’s get some weed and chill out to PFM”

I didn’t see the NO! Mag boxes at the merch stand, but I didn’t ask for them either as I was in a hurry.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994