Anders

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 05/05/2016 Wiesbaden, Schlachthof #29417

Danke schön, Arend! Thanks to you I ended up at a Motorpsycho concert tonight. I even swept by the Motorpsycho Shop and preordered HBM2, nice and comfy. No need to drag the vinyl around during the show.

And what a show this is! One long space trip. I am there. In orbit with Motorpsycho again. Thanks!

in reply to: Trondheim 18.11.2009 #15538

Hovmod: I guess we talked in Bielefeld? The Zoom (and any microphone for that sake) needs clear air between itself and the sound source. Placing it too low in the back of the room will give the same sound as if you bow down behind someones back during the show.

in reply to: Copenhagen, Loppen 16.11.09 #15304

I posted the setlist last night, but apparently my postings to this forum disappear. Now I have created a new login. I hope I stay visible from now on.

The main set started out mostly with what I call “the football songs”, meaning the songs with little or no jamming or improvisation. However, the Motors started out very energetic (equally to the Hamburg show), and nailed No Evil and especially Mr. Victim once again. Ozzy has turned out to be the least interesting live song from the new album, but seems to make the people happy every time. Riding The Tiger contained the first little jam of the night. Snah freaked out pretty impressivly on the guitar, and drove his solo into a frenzy and prolonged it more than I have heard before, something that boded well for the rest of the night.

Another funky renedition of the “new” All Is Loneliness followed, again with some pretty wild stuff from a Snah seemingly on a bit of an (positive) overdrive, while Bent and Kenneth kept the steady beat going. A very noisy climax, before they took it down on Bent’s signal and returned to the acapella ending. The audience was dancing wild during this beautiful moment, and it seemed like we were looking at succes, already.

But to me the intensity dropped a bit as we entered the part of the show which made it only good, and not great. Ocean In her Eye was a big mess. I do not know what happened, but all of a sudden they sang out of tune (especially Snah), they played out of rythm, they hit the wrong chords, and the sound was awful. It was painful to witness. Sinful and Like Always followed in good, tight versions and sound, but I would have taken many other jam songs above these if I could choose. I was starting to fear a pop/rock show with only short songs. Luckilly I was proven wrong.

After beautiful reneditions of the acoustic Bedroom Eyes and Sungravy we finally heard the quiet, jazzy intro to Cornucopia, and the party could really get going. Wild stuff followed, again with Snah in the main role. He played some mean guitar, to say the least, but neither Cornucopia, nor Diana, grew into the really big jamfests they have been earlier this tour, and that is the second reason why I only rate the gig good, and not great: None of these two were more than 10 minutes long.

The band changed the pace of the show once again and started Wishing Well. Which was beautiful, and massive. The singing was top notch, no sign of the reported vocal problems of Deventer. Snah built up to a massive guitar climax, and it was nice to once again see the funky dancing and the smiling faces all around, just like earlier during AIL.

Bent let his final bass tone float, and they fluently went into The Alchemyst while Snah changed guitar. Hypnotic as it is, it did the job, got people into trance and left them screaming for more. But I have seen both wilder and longer versions before.

Hogwash and 577 were the first encores. Hogwash (10 mins) contained a song which I thought I recognised as a song by the band Mountain. But even my most creative searching on the net cannot bring me the title. The text was someting about “Louisiana”, and “coming around the mountain”, or “down the mountain”. 577 was “endless” (12 minutes), very intense, and loud. Totally over the top loud.

After the first encores, they returned a very last time. And even though Bent asked for silence, I am sorry to say that The Golden Core was partially ruined by some very drunken Norwegians(?) in the front row, screaming on the top of their lounges during the quiet parts. But the loud second half of the song reached the same insane level of volume as 577, and in the end everyone went home deaf and happy.

People around me seemed to like the concert very much. Smiling and raving people all around. I got a bit of a problem explaining myself when I only gave the show a simple “good”, but I was too tired anyway to try to explain my friends why it wasn’t a great show in my book. It can be so personal too, so dependent on your state of mind that night, and your energy level, but most of all, what part of the bands music you like the most. Does it really matter what I think, if you love the “hits”?

I cannot get it psychedelic enough. I think it is nice to hear some of the non jamming songs once and again, but I certainly do not think it is a good idea to play a full hour of those before you start to stretch out a bit. But that is me. I know some people think I am a twit and a nerd when measuring MP shows by the length of the songs, but to me it only goes to explain what is a great show in my world: In Haarlem they used 41 minutes on the segue Manmower>Loneliness>Cornucopia. Manmower alone was 9 minutes, and took the shape of a new K9! After that they went into Loneliness, and funked away for another 13 minutes, before the space intro of Satan grew out of the dying acapella, and took us to places we never had been before for another 19 minutes. And that was inside a show which started with Sunship(!), and included both Taifun and 577. In the main set. Plus a 12 min Diana. Plus In The Family, plus Greener….

So that is why Copenhagen was good, but not great. To me.

But man, I am glad so many people showed up on a monday! (300+? Loppen can only hold 400). And I am glad they got such a good show, and I am glad that the band told the promoter that they would like to come back to Copenhagen for the spring tour:-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994