Still live with eggplant

Home Forums General Still live with eggplant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 139 total)
  • Author

Just received a pre-copy of the eggplant.

Hell (part 1-3) (9:47)

A catchy bastard somewhere between HMF and TDDU. Very stoner rock like. For sure this track will grow live and probably turn into a long jam.

Killer riff and excellent forward driving bass through the whole song. In hear you hear an example of how tight the band has become and how much they enjoy playing together. And yes! Thin Lizzy!!! The solo part after five minutes features a classical double guitar rock solo alla Thin Lizzy.

The last part fades out with nice bass lines and guitar drones.

August (4:52)

Prog rock pop tune reminds of the early Camel and Caravan. Very sunny-happy track with excellent guitar solo through the middle part to the end..

But man what a solo. Fast tight playing and incredibly feeling.

Barleycorn (Let It Come/Let It Be) (7:18)

Mellow acoustic start with beautiful vocal parts. Atmospherically it would have fit nicely on the Unicorn.

The riff sounds almost like Led Zeppelin to me. Snah sings quite beautifully. The refrain has a C.S.N feeling to it.

Ratcatcher (17:10)

Great guitar opener from R. Fiske, I believe. After two minutes the song falls into a, by now, classical MP vocal line and chorus.

The song gives a lot of space to both guitarists and a long psychedelic jam, before returning to the theme and gliding in a beautiful soft guitar rendition of the melody.

The Afterglow (5:57)

Once again Bent seduces with his dreamy broken voice and acoustic guitar. Accompanied by beautiful bass and guitar the song reaches climax when the whole band joins. What follows could be a Lynyrd Skynyrd song and Snah tops it with a very warm and sunny solo.

Total: 46 mins

To be honest the record offers no surprises. Almost like I know the record by heart after the first encounter.If you've experienced MP live during the last years you'll feel very familiar with all the material. That's of course no weakness, but maybe I expected a more experimental and jazzier record with this line up.

Having seen R. Fiske live with Svenska Kaputt, I was hoping for more of a personal fingerprint. Don't get me wrong, Fiske plays very subtle and provides beautiful nuances to the classical MP trio sound.

Somehow I'll not count this one as a 'regular' Motorpsycho Album, since to me this is more of a summary of the bands touring and writing process.

I wish the band a beautiful tour and hope that they will take a break for recreation.

supernaut
    Participant

spoilers! grrrrr.gif

surftex
      Participant

"The Afterglow" on CD at april-issue of german "visions"-magazine.

Phoots Flower
        Participant

spoiler

mbid-c1fb71d9-4165-490f-8076-3e18bc9f8184-3676216011.jpg

1 Hell, part 1-3

performer:

Kenneth Kapstad, Hans Magnus Ryan, Bent Sæther

producer:

Bent Sæther

recording of:

Hell, part 1-3

writer:

9:47

2 August

performer:

Reine Fiske, Kenneth Kapstad, Hans Magnus Ryan, Bent Sæther

producer:

Bent Sæther

cover recording of:

August

composer:

Arthur Lee

lyricist:

Arthur Lee

4:52

3 Barleycorn (Let It Come/Let It Be)

performer:

Reine Fiske, Thomas Henriksen, Kenneth Kapstad, Hans Magnus Ryan, Bent Sæther

producer:

Bent Sæther

recording of:

Barleycorn (Let It Come/Let It Be)

composer:

Bent Sæther

lyricist:

Bent Sæther

7:18

4 Ratcatcher

performer:

producer:

Bent Sæther

recording of:

Ratcatcher

writer:

17:10

5 The Afterglow

performer:

producer:

Bent Sæther

recording of:

The Afterglow

writer:

Hans Magnus Ryan, Bent Sæther

supernaut
          Participant
            Quote:
            producer:

Bent Sæther

interesting. a new era?

Phoots Flower
            Participant

for the next listening session: http://drinkify.org/motorpsycho%2B

ThorEgil
              Participant

New interview before the release, very serious as always adressa.no

Elvin
                Participant
                  Be
                  Participant

plattentests.de also has a (german) review – I am afraid that this will be the next MP record, I don't like. :-(

Krist Rampage
                    Participant

What makes you think that Be? I think thee output is quite consistent, with no weak albums the last years. Nothing to worry about, looking forward to this! Glad i pre-ordered.

GBD
                      Participant

I think it's gonna be great! Already liking August alot after listening to that podcast a number of times :MPD:

otherdemon
                        Participant

The most interesting part of the Adressa article is this one:

Etter sigende skulle dette bli Motorpsychos mest direkte plate på lenge.

– Det trodde vi også. Vi gikk i studio med rundt 20 låtkandidater, de fleste av dem korte og konsise. Bare tre-fire av dem var på over fire minutter. Selvsagt har alle de låtene havna på plata, ler Bent.

(…..)

– Det er umulig å si at de låtene som er kommet med er kvalitativt bedre, men det var de som føltes mest ferdig. Vi fant en fin dramaturgi i dem, supplerer Bent.

Translated:

Apparently, this was going to be MP's most direct album in a long time.

– We thought so, too. We had approx. 20 song candidates that we brought into the studio. Only 3-4 of them were over 4 mins long. Obviously, all of them made the album, Bent laughs.

– It's impossible to say if the songs that made the album are better quality-wise. But those were the ones that felt most finished. We found a nice dramaturgy in them, Bent adds.

For all the italians reading this forum: on the italian musical magazine "Il mucchio selvaggio" of this month there is a great interview with Bent and a great review of the new album!

Image of the first page of the interview

really like the afterglow from the visions cd. promising.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 139 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994