07-08-2021 Ringnes, Skotbu

Home Forums General 07-08-2021 Ringnes, Skotbu

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Releasing a DVD is of very limited value this days, however creating something well done and uploading to YouTube make very much sense.

The sound track can released on Tidal and Spotify.

For example take a look at this nice concert movie done by Norwegian band Orions Belte.

YouTube:

Spotify:

I really hope Motorpsycho could do something like this.

Kid A
    Participant

@Johnny: don’t be to harsh. Streaming is ok, when you use it right. I buy vinyl, a lot, but when I’m outside, I switch to streaming. DVDs are sth different, because you don’t get more value out of it. Movies look the same on streaming or on disc. You can’t compare this to vinyl. And the commercial aspects are not unimportant! Don’t forget, that the band has to live off all of this! I asked Geb back in the days, why they stopped releasing the HGH records on vinyl and he told me, they’d really love to, but simply couldn’t afford it. Today he even doesn’t release CDs anymore and release only as streams. It’s a good way for musicians that aren’t mainstream, to release music with much lesser costs.

supernaut
      Participant

Doesn‘t spotify pay the artists next to nothing?

cloudhawker
        Participant

Yup. Next to nothing is pretty much exactly what it is. I checked this out once, and exactly how much the artist get per stream even by the same streaming provider varies depending on location, royalty rates, currency and other variables. Some typical per-stream figures for different streaming platforms: Napster $0,019 / Tidal $0,01283 / Apple Music $0,00783 / Spotify $0,00437 / Youtube $0,00069, meaning you will have to play a song about 240 times on Spotify in order for the band to get 1 USD (or about 80 times using Tidal), if my maths is up to scratch. I confesss I use Spotify nevertheless, it is just too useful checking out new stuff, playing when I’m on the move, and for making playlists.

On the other hand, I also have bought every single MP record at least once (and generally buying too much music according to my missus) so I actually end up paying them more: when I buy the record and then again a little bit every time I play a MP playlist or an album on Spotify. My bold conclusion is therefore as long as you also buy the music physically Spotify is beneficial for all parties. If you only use streaming services not so.

supernaut
          Participant

Sure, if buying AND streaming, then it's somewhat ok. Only Somewhat because then the streaming services aren't still not pressed to change anything.

For on the move I save stuff I bought digitally or on CDs back in the day onto my phone, itunes actually.

Satan's streaming, spreads his wings. :P

cloudhawker
            Participant

Lol. I am afraid it is like this "data thing" in 1990 that would "go away soon". The only thing that would make the streaming platforms change practices is if the major artists forced them to. There is no way consumers in significant numbers would unite to force changes through. For 99.9% of music streamers worldwide it works just fine: All the music in the world conveniently at your fingertips for very little money.

(sorry for going off topic)

Johnny_Heartfield
              Participant

I hate streaming from a philosophical and an ecological standpoint*. Of course I'm grossly exaggerating – but I don't want to live in a world where tools or gadgets are digitally communicating around me or even behind my back – they might even conspire against me ;-). Of course I'm old-fashioned – but the digital madness is going to get us all these days.

So streaming as a last resort only, pleeze!

* Of course producing another plastic disc & package only makes sense ecologically if you don't throw it away next year, but keep it all your life and bury it in your casket under your dead body in the end – which most of us Psychonauts will do, I suppose ;-)

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994