14.10.2023 – NL, Zwolle, Hedon

Home Forums General 14.10.2023 – NL, Zwolle, Hedon

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Wulf
    Participant

Now It‘s Time To Skate
      Patterns
      Can’t Find My Way Home
      Lady May
      Feel

Sentinels
      On My Pillow
      Serpentine
      The Alchemyst
      On A Plate
      Hotel Daedalus
      At Empire’s End
      Arne H
      Cosmoctopus
      Gullible

Bartok Of The Universe
      The Promise
      Inside Looking Out

2:35 h

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Wulf.
      Tomcat
      Participant

A brilliant show in all Psychonaut’s regards – perfect Sound and views for an attentive audience like at best Bremen Schlachthof days. Stellar solos / jams and a beautifully composed setlist. It worked so well. Thank you motorpsycho, have a good flight in Belgium tonight … and see you again soon ❤️

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Tomcat.
        JERO
        Participant

absolutely agree with Tomcat above. There are songs sometimes you don’t care for too much on the record, which totally overturn you when performed live, this happened for me with ‘Lady May’. And, there are songs so close to your heart and soul that are suddenly there right in front of you, performed brilliantly and perfectly and you feel deep within that this is a great moment in your life, this happened to me with ‘On My Pillow’. And there are fueled and decibel-laden rockers that make you wish they’d never stop, like during Cosmoctopuss & Indide Looking Out. So….still in the afterglow, I will now find out if the Rockbottom single is any good to wash the dishes to, lol

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by JERO.
          fillmore
          Participant

Sitting in the train back from Zwolle in great shape and mood, feeling enriched by the experience of having witnessed a top-shelf Motorpsycho show in the company of friends.

Hedon is a state-of-the-art Dutch venue, the type that offered perfect sound and wide-screen vision for the ca. 250 super devoted fans who religiously devoured every moment with rapt attention and in awestruck silence in a super intimate and relaxed setting. In fact, the sound where we stood was so good as if we were sitting inside the amps’ cabinets which allowed us to appreciate every little delicate note of this very patient, meticulously played, well-balanced, almost perfect concert.

There was not one single outstanding moment, jam or surprise but every version played was inspired and spot-on. The band was playing as good as they always did with Ingvald being a perfect fit for the powertrio.

Favourite moments included a beautiful jam in “Lady May”, Snah’s solo in “Sentinels”, a dramatic slow-but-heavy “On my pillow” , 18 minutes of “Arne H” including deep space travels with Snah helming the mellotron and the psychotic “Cosmoctopus”.

The encore, a brutally rocking juxtaposition to the main set was okay for what it was, that’s how it works on this tour, but I would have preferred an epic number such as “Lacuna”, “Taifun”, “Plan #1” — or “Mountain” if it had to be havy rock — that would have made the concert even rounder and more wholesome.

I love trio Motorpsycho and Ingvald is great, a welcome throwback to Geb vibes after we’ve seen two technical precision machines in the drummer’s seat the last 15 years.

At the end of the day a wonderful concert experience well worth my 1.100 kilometer round trip just for this one single show.

jessi
            Participant

I totally agree to tomcat, JERO and fillmore. it has been so beautiful and precious, somehow even a bit relaxed.

the „lady may“ version was a surprise and it caught me. also „on my pillow“ and of course „the alchemyst“.

a real feelgood-evening. I am very satisfied. ☺️

Krist Rampage
              Participant

Yes, totally amazing gig!

shakti
                Participant

@Fillmore; sounds like this was a much better show than Trondheim in every regard? I am looking forward to seeing them with Ingvald, and also to see them as a trio. As much as I loved Tomas’ playing it will be interesting to see them with (allegedly) a slightly less technically proficient drummer. It’s good to see them tackle some of the demanding Tomas-era tracks like Cosmoctopus, I’d hate to see them drop those altogether. Some of them bear a very heavy Tomas imprint though, and I wonder if any other drummer will be able to do justice to Ship of Fools or N.O.X.

Excited to see these enthusiastic reports.

Krist Rampage
                  Participant

After last night I think Ingvald can handle anything. What an amazing drummer, my god. I really hope he becomes the new permanent drummer. Incredible drummer. He can rock hard but can also play very jazzy. Lady May and Sentinels for instance, wow. Also, he did some vocals. Most Incredible moment for me was the female vocal part in Gullible’s Travails. Also during Arne Hassle he added a nice extra vocal layer to the chorus. Awesome. And then he also plays some keys.

suntripper
                    Participant

Lurker – thanks to Bart Ridderikhof, who has posted a couple of other bits and pieces. Virtually no guitar to be heard, sadly, but it is always interesting to have these shows documented. Is it me or are some of those fills reminiscent of Kenneth?

The Other Anders
                      Participant

Test. My notes do not show up here.

The Other Anders
                        Participant

So, I am back in Zwolle tonight. I was here in 2012 as part of the crew of Siena Root when they played at Eureka. I have never been to Hedon, but I remember an appreciative crowd, a love for the music and a dedication to the genre that tells me Motorpsycho will go down very well here. They also played Zwolle and Hedon once before, in 2017 during the Tower tour with Tomas and Kristoffer Lo, a quick search on mpdb dot be tells me.

I am hearing tonight’s concert through the very good to excellent recording of Tomcat. It positions me somewhere by the mixing desk area. Sound is clear and well balanced.

The acoustic part tonight has only Patterns from the new record. The rest of it is classics old and new, among them a cover of Blind Faith’s Can’t Find My way Home. I love this song, and while I don’t think Motorpsycho are able to pay it full justice, I still appreciate their rattled version.

One of the things that impresses me with this tour is the changing between electric and acoustic versions of quite some songs. One of those is Lady May. Tonight it is served in a beatiful acoustic version only two nights after a swirling electric version in Tilburg.

Now It‘s Time To Skate
                          Patterns
                          Can’t Find My Way Home
                          Lady May
                          Feel

On my Pillow is another one of the songs played both ways. Tonight it is electric and places itself somewhere between the acoustic versions and the Timothy’s Monster version, of course without the desperate, almost screamed vocals. Those have been gone for quite some years (decades?) already. The drama and intensity is still intact though. “If you find me please remind me who I am!”.

The Alchemyst (a discourse on transmutation, pennies dropping & the luminiferous aether) is the first motorpsychodelic takeoff of the night as they find themselves and remind themselves who they can be.

The already mentioned Lady May together with the opener of the elctric set Sentinels, and a couple of songs later Hotel Daedalus, form a trifecta of jazz, a tapestry of reoccuring themes binding the first half of the concert together.

The Alchemyst was an early omen, and the jazz goes to space inside the continuous quartet of Emperor Arne’s Lurking Spacetrips and Travails. Outer orbit reached!

Sentinels
                          On My Pillow
                          Serpentine
                          The Alchemyst
                          On A Plate
                          Hotel Daedalus
                          At Empire’s End
                          Arne H
                          Cosmoctopus
                          Gullible

Back on Earth for encores, Bent asks if we are “ready for heavy metal”. First out of the gate is the tour premier Bartok, one of my 10 favourites from The Tower, and a song I would not expect anyone but Tomas to play. But Ingvald nails this one too, of course.

Bartok Of The Universe
                          The Promise
                          Inside Looking Out

I appreciate the “metal”, especially after such a spaced out main set, but I could also gladly have taken a trio of classics like Superstooge, Hogwash and Mountain, or one more trip to the sun-god’s palace in the east, had it been offered up.

All in all a very good concert, first jazzy then spacey, and then heavy rocking. How I wish I had been there together with you all. That, I am sure, would have made it great!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994