15.03.2012 – Byscenen, Trondheim (NOR)

Home Forums General 15.03.2012 – Byscenen, Trondheim (NOR)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

thank you very much Hovmod! going to listen to it tomorrow…

@Rolf
    : i'm curious about it.

Quote:
    the vocals never sound as bad when you hear them live, as when you listen to the recording.

Are you serious? I got depressed during the show because of this very issue.

There are a lot of great singers around – why not ask for help?

otherdemon
    Participant

Actually, at Sentrum Scene the vocals didn't sound as bad as the Byscenen bootleg. But I have a suspicion that the loudness of the gigs sorta hide the vocals in the wall of sound, making it more tolerable.

That said, their vocal weaknesses is too much on display nowadays… And to be honest, I'm not sure if they give a shit.

Vocals is kind of important in an opera :-)

otherdemon
      Participant
        Quote:
        Vocals is kind of important in an opera

Yeah. But they're not that important in the context of Motorpsycho.

TAF
        Participant

There are a lot of great voice coaches, as well – and I'm dead certain the lads would benefit from some proper voice training.

But yeah, I'm actually serious. Vocals veering slightly off-key doesn't really bother me as much live. Could be the sound quality in the venue drowns out the songs somewhat, and Motorpsycho often plays so loud that I can't always pinpoint it if the vocals are just a little bit sour. Also, I've usually had a beer or two at that point, which helps. :P

EDIT: Also, in a live performance you also have the light show, plus the stage personalities, and a lot of communication going on. When I listen to the recording afterwards I'm left with only the sound of it, which brings out any shortcomings in a much harsher light.

supernaut
          Participant

after 20 years of motorpsycho, i think the vocal issue could be finally put to rest. it's what it is, period. and don't forget, they sing while they are also focused on playing this monstrous stuff! and as a sidenote thought: the day they start to sing like mike patton or eddie vedder, their overall appeal would be gone.

supernaut
            Participant
              Quote:
              the vocals never sound as bad when you hear them live, as when you listen to the recording.

yep, usually true. hear any band's smartphone youtube live clips.

Quote:
              the day they start to sing like mike patton or eddie vedder, their overall appeal would be gone.

i'd expect it to be opposite! a lot of ppl i play mp for, or drag along to concerts comment on how they music great, but they can't really get past the vocals.

Quote:
              and don't forget, they sing while they are also focused on playing this monstrous stuff!

Can't see that as argument for not bringing dedicated voices to the show, or?

GBD
              Participant

Ok so i sort of started this debate yesterday. And then and there i ment it, judging what i'd heard of the recording on my sound system. But after giving it another go on my headphones last night, i must say that perhaps i was a little harsh on the boys. There are certainly sour moments (Mutiny was quite appalling for one). But Snah actually sings quite good throughout the concert, saving it from total vocal failure. So it seems like he's really trying. Bent on the other hand sound uninspired at times. Shape up Bent!

Also, perhaps it's true what's been said earlier….that they're aware of their limitations regarding vocals, and just don't give a sh*t about that, and just focus on rocking out instead. Kind of sad if it's so. But if i had to choose between great vocals and monsterous musical technical skills, it'll always be the skills. It's just a dream of mine to have both. Just once :)

…and to focus further on the positive things about this gig; It sounds great musically. I really like their live rendition of the Unicorn, and can't wait to see them in London.

Oh yeah….Thanks a million Hovmod! Really Great Boot!! :)

otherdemon
                Participant

GBD: The thing is that their limited vocals abilities becomes very apparent in this setting. Sure, sometimes their slightly sour, "off" vocals work to their advantage in creating a human & fragile charm. But when playing technically proficient progressive rock, their vocal weaknesses sticks out like sore thumbs.

However, everything isn't all bleak, vocal-wise. Snah's lead vocals on Oh, Proteus – A Prayer for example really gets me. Especially in the heavier section, where he tries an aggressive, almost Nick Cave-ish approach that really suits the song well. Don't really mind the occasionally missed notes here.

GBD
                  Participant

You're right. When the sour notes hit, they really hit on this recording. But I agree on the Snah Vocals. He does a pretty good job. Perhaps that's why he's given more and more of the vocal duties. But Bent also can sing great if he really wants to. My bet is that he (they) just need a few more shows to really get into the material.

TAF
                    Participant

As for Mutiny; I'd have a hard time singing it too, seeing as they've transposed it down AND switched around the chorus. Being used to the album version I can't really get to grips with the live version. :S

supernaut
                      Participant
                        Quote:
                        the day they start to sing like mike patton or eddie vedder, their overall appeal would be gone.

::::

i'd expect it to be opposite! a lot of ppl i play mp for, or drag along to concerts comment on how they music great, but they can't really get past the vocals.

that's of course my personal perception. i like their gonzo vocal lines and styles. a supersinger would flatten out lots of their charm for me within the concept of motorpsychedelism. take mike patton: i find him superb but i wouldn't want him to sing on timothy's monster. great singing doesn't come with perfect technique. but it has to fit with the music. imagine maynard keenan in motorpsycho. hm well…. i just wouldn't want that.

Quote:
                        and don't forget, they sing while they are also focused on playing this monstrous stuff!

::::

Can't see that as argument for not bringing dedicated voices to the show, or?

i don't know if you are a musician but playing this music and singing is a damn hard thing to do. also i would never assume that the guys are not dedicated to their singing. dedication most definitely doesn't rule out sour notes and vice versa. as perfect pitch doesn't equal dedication.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994