2019-10-17 DE Berlin, Festsaal Kreuzberg

Home Forums General 2019-10-17 DE Berlin, Festsaal Kreuzberg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fillmore
    Participant

Year 0

Mockingbird

Cuckoo

The C

On My Pillow

Mad Sun

Spreesonate

No Evil >

Hey, Jane

Starhammer

Bonny Lee

P-Tzar

Spin >

Hogwash >

Halleluwah >

Spin >

Hogwash

Tower

Lux

2h50min

No Evil > Hey Jane is a classic from the past!

fillmore
      Participant

Somewhat uneven show suffering from slightly blurred sound but with thrilling moments of brilliant well-developped improv and a long funky jam.

Coming from Leipzig the night before where we enjoyed an outstanding sound Festsaal provided a bit of a let down in the sound department. "Year Zero" kicks things off reliably intense before we get the two bird songs "Mockingbird" and "Cuckoo" back to back, the latter with a little jam tagged onto its tail-end. "Mad Sun" features an electric guitar tonight — as opposed to an all acoustic arrangement the previous night — and it works a lot better that way. The second jam in "Pacific Sonata" is the first distinct highlight of this concert, the band diving head first into a rthythmic, mindbending, almost tekknoid piece of insane intensity and perfection. They would continue to showcase their jamming chops with a brilliant version of "Starhammer" which totally slayed the brilliant version played the night before with a high octane chaotic jam part which features several distinct movements. These days it seems as if every version of "Starhammer" is the best they have performed yet. The Berlin "Starhammer" is a perfect example of how great they have become at improvising. They manage to pack these pockets of improv in their sets with fully developped extremely versatile ideas. More of this magic happens later in the "The Tower", also an exciting version. The long "Spinwash" seguefest delivers the funk in spades, it goes deep, dark, far out and spacey, with a well-rounded and long version of "Halleluwah".

Ercarnar
        Participant

Looks like they have fun playing Starhammer as long as I'm not there 😂 I hope some of these performances (any song) will find their place on a new Roadworks, I'm only reading enthusuastic rewiews

Great King Rat
          Participant
            Quote:
            Spin >

Hogwash >

Halleluwah >

Spin >

Hogwash

8O Is this correct?

fillmore
            Participant

a blog review with photos

Radio interview with Bent taped before the show (possibly only available until Thursday 24.10.)

grindove
              Participant

Three of my all time favorite Mp songs: "Year zero", "Mad sun" (fantastic in any version!) and "Hey, Jane". Other highlights: all three "Crucible" tracks, second half of "Sonata", "No evil", "Bonny Lee" (I've finally realised how good it is) and "The tower".

Low points: "Mockingbird", first half of "Sonata" and the "SpinHogHalle" ending the main set. That has nothing to do with how they were performed, it's just stuff I'm not a huge fan of :| And I prefer no covers – I just want 100% Mp, haha!

Over all rather great, even if not among the best Mp shows I've seen. Awesome playing, good communication etc. Reine is still my favorite bonus member (adds the right things and correct vibes for me) and Tomas continues to impress!

Unfortunately I'm no ThorEgil with the camera, so my pix from the show might not be very exciting, but here's a link anyway:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grindove/albums/72157711427432547

Hei mefisto :-)

Side note: I caught a crowdsurfer (the only one of the evening, or were there more of those?) with my face, slightly damaging my glasses and nose, but no big deal – I'm fine!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994