Fribourg 9.11.

Home Forums General Fribourg 9.11.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    supernaut
    Participant

just got my ride there. it’s good to have friends with cars. yay, 3 shows on this tour. personal record. report to follow.

supernaut
      Participant

Bedroom Eyes

Taifun

She left on the Sunship

In the Family

The Ocean in her Eye

The Ozzylot

Inside Looking Out

Whole Lotta Diana

Sungravy

Watersound

Ãœberwagner

Kill Some Day

Song for a Bro’

Manmower

Hogwash

You Lied

====

Band got the flu, but you wouldn’t have noticed. Only 5 songs played from Berlin’s set, good for me. But only 2 from COTF. Hmmmm…. Written list featured Vortex Surfer instead of Hogwash & You Lied.

The gig was more “out there” than that one, though a bit too much on the noodling side for my taste. But if they do this, then I wish Bent would’ve played/improvised wilder, he was more of a classic bassist, leaving Snah in the spotlight. But he sang almost all leads and delivered a great weird bass during Manmower when it all turned quite freejazz. Usually the highlights for me are their delicately crafted songs, more than the jamming. This time it was Taifun, Watersound, Ocean… oh is there a pattern? And Diana. This one is just massive. Great sound, great venue. Taifun’s Taurus hit like the end of the world. Wonderful. Some stage confusion when Snah got the wrong guitar for You Lied from his tech, funny. In the Family was never my fave song, but tonight I really enjoyed it. Hogwash was shorter and much less spacey as the ’02 Paradiso/Haircuts version which I watched before we left home. Guess that version can’t be topped.

that’s it for now. and then we take Winterthur.

fillmore
        Participant

Thanks Supernaut!

Great report, thanks; sounded like a rockin’ night despite the superflu!

supernaut
          Participant

I met them once when they did a show despite a bad group flu. This doesn’t seem to bother them. Geb had a big cup of Vitamin C drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. He was pale, probably stoned but still blissful after a rocking show. Viking blood or something. :lol:

They’re superhuman or something…most bands would have cancelled the show with such issues…they don’t let their fans down

thx for the report

Nice report supernaut!

I must add: the sound (at least where I stood most of the time) was perfect and at some parts I really enjoyed Snah`s noodling, especially in 577 and Hogwash (the jamming highlights!)

The new impro-middle-part in Manmower sounded like King Crimson (starless and bible black) to me, the whole first encores were really jazzed up and proggy or so…

For me the setlist was just perfect, because it really was a mixture of all styles they represent and are able to play and it contained some of my favorites (Kill some day, Taifun, Ueberwagner – love the new version). and I was really happy they played SUNGRAVY, again the audience was not so quiet at this point…

What I did not like so much: the new version of Ocean in her Eye (the singing was horrible and the effect on snahs guitar annoyed me in this song, I like the album-version much better) Apart from that: great show!

supernaut
            Participant

yes Manmower became quite krimsonite. always a good thing.

I don’t mind Snah’s noodling, because he shifts it to amazing places. I just think it’s a bit of a wasted opportunity, if Bent and Kenneth step back while Snah’s noodling for minutes. Ensemble freakouts in Sonic Krimson style and interwoven band impros and dynamics like the mighty K9 suite and that ’02 Hogwash is what I’d prefer. But maybe Snah simply wasn’t suffering from flu as much as the others.

the audience. it was a mixture of french and bern swiss. chatty brand by nature.

Anonymous

It was an up and down show me, certain parts I really liked (Manmower was a killer), other parts were a bit harder for me to get into (Ocean in her Eye didn’t do much unfortunately).

And yes, I agree with supernaut’s opinion on the noodling side of things. Interesting that you guys liked the sound quality, because I thought it wasn’t that good, especially compared to Brussels or even Cologne. I was searching for better places in the venue to get a bit less of Snah’s Amps. They were way beyond 11 if you ask me ;-) Still I’m impressed by them. You noticed the flu going on, besides some lines in 577 Snah hardly sang a line due to the flu, so it was all up to Bent on the vocals but still all delivered beautifully.

Have fun in Winterthur, I can’t make it, so these three shows are it for me this fall. And next May there will be another tour, so things are looking good in the MP camp.

:MPD:

Be
                Participant

First gig without Cornucopia. U lied as last song seems strange. Vortex Surfer would have been the appropriate ending, I guess!

supernaut
                  Participant

I found it quite suitable. Big rock show ending.

About the sound, well I was in Berlin which I didn’t find as bad as others, but in Fribourg it wasn’t as loud and therefore more enjoyable. Or maybe not less loud but crispier and more transparent. Though it could have beared a bit more bass. The Moog was more thunderous and clearer than in Berlin. Moog and strobes 52.gif

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994