Larvik, Sanden Scene 30/09/2017

Home Forums General Larvik, Sanden Scene 30/09/2017

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shakti
    Participant

From memory…2hrs 40 mins

Intrepid

Manmower

Dream Home

Superstooge

Cloudwalker

August

Cuckoo

Up/down

The Tower

Heartattack Mac

Lacuna

Flick of the wrist

Ship of Fools

You Lied

Spin

Into the Sun

Bartok

Fool's Gold

shakti
      Participant

And a few quick comments:

– good gig, but never hit the absolute peaks IMHO. Might have had something to do with me – had to drive and stay sober.

– quiet crowd, which was both good and bad…Bent commented on it several times

– nice setlist, but momentum absolutely killed by a weak Lacuna/Sunrise (still a nice theme in search of a song, and a poor excuse for a jam) and the perennially overrated Flick of the Wrist (Motorpsycho are masters of the one chord drone, but leave the two chord jams to Neil Young). That was 15 minutes of my life I won't be getting back.

– Tomas is brilliant. Jazzier than Kenneth, but also heavier when he wants to. Brings a new touch to familiar material.

– High points:

1) intrepid Explorer a brilliant opener

2) August was best version I've heard, Tomas absolutely killin' it!

3) The Tower much better than on album

4) Ship of Fools just perfect. What a song!

5) Bartok just insane. You can just tell that they love to play it and know that it is an absolute killer.

– things to criticize: Lacuna/FLick as mentioned above…blaah…Spin is nice on album, still doesn't work live.

BTW; V.S. and Fool's GOld both written as encores, but on the same line, so I think they intended to choose one.

Punj Lizard
        Participant

@Shakti -That's so funny what you say about Flick of the Wrist. I was listening to it yesterday and thinking – this is great, just a like a killer Neil Young and Crazy Horse jam. :D

Spacebandit
          Participant

Yes, dear fellow Psychonauts…early time for some real fine psyched music…just got

through the marvellous ViKING recording. No flaws audible for me…everything's played

with precision and "guts". For us here in Tyskland: "Meine Fresse, da kommt was auf uns zu!"

I#m not argueing about "Flick of the wrist", it's in my Top10 MP songs. Also like "Lacuna"

very much, a moment to breathe. The encore of "Fool's gold" was pure magic. A very nice

switch from the HBM encore. If complaining on highest level is allowed here:

I'm not into those heavy tunes to end the set. Instead of jumping into "Bartok" they

could've spaced out more on "Into the sun" which is – by 7:32 min. – way too short.

That was really weird in Beelen. I could go without "August" happy, but it's their choice

to play, if they love the song, all ok with me. Superstooge is always great to hear, as I

also really like the "You lied->Spin3x" sequence. Latter they already did with a "Hogwash"

ending…Cryptical development?

No, from my heart…I'm very satisfied with what I got to listen. And I keep my fingers

crossed for a HH/PA/HB WHEEL on the start of "Southern Europe" tour. At least maybe a lazy

"HANGOVER TOWN WHEEL"?

Something's up on DIME in a few moments…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994