London 24.11.10

Home Forums General London 24.11.10

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Wow.

It was an energy- bomb. Feels like it all ended at full speed uphill. We never came to the top of the mountain this concert was. Brutally so. The sound level was too high, though, from the beginning. Almost painful at the 2-3 first songs. Got better after a while, maybe because I got used to the volume.

Bent and Kenneth confirmed after the concert that they wanted to continue, but was not allowed to by The Borderline. The venue has a suiting name.

My friend said: It was not a concert. It was a performance.

Being to over 40 concerts since 1995, this was top-ten. The 96-99 gigs still on top in my memory, but if they are allowed to complete the ride next time, my guess is that Folken will be up there.

Seriously considering a Stavanger trip now.

Happy man listening to the paranoid squirrel- recording for 2nd time in row. Loneliness- take is beautiful.

Un.Chien.d.Espace
    Participant

a little gift for you…

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SW3ZYSB2

;-)

Un.Chien.d.Espace
      Participant

correction: date was of course the 24th…

otherdemon
        Participant

Thx a lot for the vid. Only downer was that it froze at around 9:30, even though it was 15 mins long :(

Un.Chien.d.Espace
          Participant

that doesn't occur in the original file…try and dl it again…

8O

Un.Chien.d.Espace ->

Thanks for the video. This is cool to have in the memory box!

"Leslie's Vest" I believe refers to Leslie West of Mountain fame who wore. for many years, a God awful vest. Of course he also played some mind numbing guitar and may be instrumental in MP's usage of ear shattering volume. Their (Mountain that is) AMAZING record "Nantucket Sleighride" has the admonition "This record should be played LOUD[/b] for maximum sonority"

Seattle Psychonaut (can't wait to hear it)

Tomcat
            Participant

Any idea how many people attended the show, btw.?

It was a sold out show and the venue holds 275 people.

supernaut
              Participant

all I know about Mountain is a live show in 84 or 85. they supported the reunited and therefore long awaited Deep Purple. I felt they played forever and half of it was one annoying guitar solo, and I mean SOLO, Leslie was alone on stage noodling and noodling and noodling… so I never ever bothered to listen to them since.

So I'm peeping into Natucket Sleighride now, sounds nice enough….

Tomcat
                Participant

Cool, sold out in London!

boomer former helm
                  Participant

the 2 new songs are both great. getting in the mood right now. "i can never go back" is simply great…

fillmore
                    Participant

Just a minor correction which could be confirmed by listening to the recording: They actually did not go back into "X3" after Hallucifuge.

Year Zero

New Song 1

Whole Lotta Diana ->

New song 2

All is Loneliness ->

Starhammer ->

The Wheel ->

Starhammer ->

Hogwash ->

Halleluwah ->

Hogwash ->

X3 ->

Hallucifuge

After having listened to he recording I must say this concert is damned perfect. It being only 90 minutes is actually part of its appeal: The band just flies through the jams and segues with an instinctive sureness that is simply amazing. Of course I like them to stretch out but this condensed to-the-point essence of the motormagic is great as well! And damn, are the segues smooth or what? I was tracking the lossless version of the reording earlier today and it was just impossible to find the track-split when "The wheel" goes back into "Starhammer" — it's perfectly woven together made into one song although it's two of them! I am also in awe about Snah's noise in this show. It's so spaced out, noisy and out there! The transition between "Starhammer" and "Hogwash" is a good example. Wow!

kjesso
                      Participant

Re Mountain:

In a program on Norwegian radio back in the mid-90s, Norwegian radio legend Harald Are Lund talked about the music that had influenced Motorpsycho. He mentioned the band Mountain, and said that the MP song "Mountain" was inspired by a song by Mountain. He played that song, and you could hear his point. The two songs were not identical, far from it, but there were some similarities.

A few years later, on an impulse in a record shop, I bought a Mountain collection, Over The Top. I managed to get through the 34 songs a couple of times, but couldn't figure out if any of these songs had influenced "Mountain". I haven't listened to it since, my main recollection is that even if the music was ok, the vocals were just horrible. Almost painful.

Wanting to get the bottom of said riddle, I e-mailed Harald Are Lund, to find out more. He replied that he remembered the program, and that there indeed was one Mountain song that had inspired "Mountain", but he couldn't recall what the song was called. So there you are – a mystery unsolved.

TraktorBass
                        Participant

@kjesso: I only have Mountains album Twin Peaks here, but could it be 'Never in my life'? There is also a track named 'Theme for an imaginary western' on the album..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994