Motorpsycho – Behind The Sun (new album 2014)

Home Forums General Motorpsycho – Behind The Sun (new album 2014)

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    stereosofa
    Participant
      Quote:
      two songs side by side on A side

two songs?

Krist Rampage
      Participant
        Quote:
        Great album and super cool with the two songs side by side on A side

I don't understand this….

ThorEgil
        Participant

Four goats from Sweden :cheers:

I notice that this review is the third most read article in the culture section of Arbetarbladet.se today. Maybe Motorpsycho will have to tour Sweden now.

ThorEgil
          Participant
            Quote:
            two songs side by side on A side

Still waiting for my preorder (sigh) – but have they pulled out that old trick from 3 songs for Rut again?

otherdemon
            Participant

Great album, and I would dare to say the best one with Kapstad so far. This album has songs that both impress and move me. I have enjoyed most of the Rune-releases, but Behind The Sun just triumphs them all thanks to accomplished songwriting and fine-tuned arrangements.

It isn't perfect though (On A Plate, while being a decent cock-rocker, doesn't fit on the album at all + the chaotic & messy Hell Part 7 is a poor way to end the album). But zero complaints about the other tracks! Cloudwalker, Ghost, Hell Part 4-6 & Entropy are future classics which I look forward to hearing live. The Promise is possibly the catchiest track they've recorded with Kenneth, and Bent's intense vocal on that one gives me goosebumps! Kvæstor is Whip That Ghost part 2 amped up to 11 as far as energy amd complexity goes (and superior qualitywise, IMO). The Magic & The Wonder is also great and uptempo, and shows that they still can write emotionally resonant 4-minute songs if they want to.

The Rockefeller-gig is just 5 days away… :D EDIT: Also looking forward to motorpsycho.no launching tomorrow.

is somewhere on the net the hidden (etching ) track… i'm so curiouse and i've just the cd version :(

marc
              Participant

my 2 cents:

Great versatile record, which IMO could easily do without ghost and hell pt. 7. Ghost has the potential for a great song and you can almost hear the build-ups and intense harmonics – but unfortunately they simply don't happen. hell pt. 7 is not focused and there doesn't seem to be a proper idea behind the song. Especially with Kvaestor occupying the "noisy jamrocker"-slot in a superb way, it is quite a dissapointment.

The production is fantastic. Probably the best of the kenneth-releases. When "eggplant" started automatically on my laptop after BTS, it was apparent how lame it sounds in comparison :-).

As already mentioned by some of you, I also like that they rediscovered "emotional" (there, i said it) songwriting, e.g. hell4-6 and entropy. I welcome that they apparently jumped off the bluestrain to some extent.

Finally, I second that The Promise has some of Bent's best singing in qite a while.

Great record! I like The Promise, Hell 4-6, and Entropy so far the most, but the rest also grows on me. "The Magic & The Wonder" reminds me somehow of "The Ace" from BH/BC, anynone noticed this as well? Also "Cloudwalker" sounds like a faster Version of "Gullibles Travails" from HMF… By the way, Hell 1-7 is also nice to hear. Would make a good EP!

Rolf
                Participant

Disclaimer: I've only heard the complete album 2 times so far, and as always my first impression was mostly "meh." – but I'm sure that in a week or so I'll pronounce this the greatest record ever. That's almost always my reaction to a new MP album. It takes time to "get it".

But I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that "Ghost" is the best track on the album! At least it's the first track I immediately liked. Wonderfully beautiful – I love it! I bet it will grow to monstrous proportions live! The mellotron and strings reminds me a little bit of "The Golden Core".

I really like "Cloudwalker" and "Entropy", but liked them even more live.

"On a plate" and "The Promise" seem somewhat boring. Really good rockers, but… meh? (but I'm sure that will change!)

"Kvæstor" is fun and some of the guitar playing is a little bit like Grateful Dead on highspeed.

I haven't quite made up my mind about Hell parts 4-6, but so far I like them a lot. Much beauty here. Part 7 is an obvious return to parts 1-3, but as someone else here said, it's rather chaotic. Not sure yet on this one as well. (But I love the title "Victim of Rock"!)

"The magic & the wonder" – not sure yet. A bit boring? It's not doing much for me yet, at least.

The sound and production is great.

Well, time for one more "Ghost" before bed!

Fiske Boll
                  Participant

I have to agree with Rolf, "Ghost" is one of the highlights on the album for me.

On the minus side:

"Cloudwalker" and "On A Plate." Just not good enough.

On the plus side:

"Kvæstor." Fun stuff. "Entropy" and "The Magic And The Wonder" – seems to be growing on me – not quite sure yet, but MP songs that grows often ends up being among the very best.

"Hell pt 7" – Somebody mentioned before that the live version on the webpage has better sound, and I have to agree. Especially the breakdown part – "take the sex and drugs, but let me keep my rock'n'roll" thing – I think this section is very cool, be nice to hear it live.

On the big plus side.

"Ghost"

"The promise" Took me by surprise. Just really dig it.

"Hell pt 4-6". Worth the record alone. Best thing I've heard in years. I somehow got this warm fuzzy feeling inside the big tummy when "Swiss Cheese Mountain" rolls around. It reminds me a bit of the wheel. Please stretch this one out live.

just my 2 cents

Krist Rampage
                    Participant

About side A: there are indeed two pieces of music on there, cut in parallel grooves. Very very cool.

toresan
                      Participant
                        Quote:
                        Great album and super cool with the two songs side by side on A side

There are indeed two tracks on side A so they have used this trick for the second time. Nice!

otherdemon
                        Participant
                          Quote:
                          About side A: there are indeed two pieces of music on there, cut in parallel grooves. Very very cool.

Cool! I've only heard the ambient instrumental that sounds a bit like Nathan Daniel's Tune From Hawaii. What's the other one like? Something similar?

Un.Chien.d.Espace
                          Participant

the other one sounds like a choir to me…

supernaut
                            Participant
                              Quote:
                              There are indeed two tracks on side A so they have used this trick for the second time.

they did that before? when?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 288 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994