Motorpsycho in the Opera 11.Nov.2012

Home Forums General Motorpsycho in the Opera 11.Nov.2012

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    ThorEgil
    Participant

Another raving review "A unicorn is coming home" – from Ballade

v1

Hi everybody!

Back home from an epic weekend in Oslo with two great friends and Psychonauts from Casale :cheers:

The weather was wet but The capital offers a lot of nice museums and pubs! Nothing to add about what's already written here about the shows, we saw both and I must admit that every of the about 30 musuicians on stage has done its best to give us this masterpiece, I would like to thank (takk!)all of them

We met at least two other italian MP fans travelling alone

v1

ops… what more can I say about the show, we just missed the Gold encore :mrgreen: , but that will be for next time!

We met Kenneth at Mono on friday, just to recall him that he signed my car in april and he said "sure! in Bloom!", then I'm very proud I've met the owner of the unique shirt BENTISLOUD, hi Rune! And after the evening show we met also Lars Hornveth (thought first he was Mathias Eick, but he didn't got angry for that :D, he told he's working to mix a live album with Jaga concerts played with Britten Sinfonia, sounds also very interesting!

cheers to everybody we met and will meet in future, I love being part of the MP family! :STG:

v1

I found also this first video a few minutes ago, SHARKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nEbVzh-RN8

ThorEgil
            Participant

Found this interview, done between shows, in todays Adressa – paper edition

20121112_200220.jpg

20121112_200152.jpg

What an amazing evening. Already the 600km long journey through heavy rain was an overture to the opera to come. The magnificent opera is a architecture dream and the interior and design is breath taking. First concert seated in the middle of row 8 gave a perfect view on the orchestra and light show. The sound was a bit high and lacking bass but overall it was a good sound concerning the 30 people involved. Few timing problems were obvious and soloing was not so remarkable.

The unicorn was complete and an encore would have felt wrong after such a performance.

I did not expect any improvement for the second show, but boy, they proved me wrong! Seated directly behind the mixing board I was about to witness a truely hifidelic moment in Motorpsycho history. During that performance the band melted together with the brass and string ensemble into one big Motorpsycho symphony orchestra. Snah played fantastic soli and Bent and Kenneth were a rhythm section to dream off. Ståle kept the arrangements tight and constantly flowing. Ole Kvarnbergs violin performance was breath taking. The overall achievement of playing the unicorn twice in front of a sold out opera audience can't get rated high enough. So good, so complete. I bow to you, in deep respect and gratitude. Have not listened to my Yes and Caravan symphonic albums for a while. But maybe it's time to get them out of the dungeons again.

And by the way, singing was superb especially during the second show. A sailor story performed by three rusty sailor voices. Sail on Psychonauts, it's the authenticity, dedication and joy what creates the love for this band and not the right vocal pitch, and even that got better over the years.

A huge show, great playing of string and brass section, super solo violin, Bent and always motivated Kenneth being the groove monster, extraordinary light show etc… but: The singing was definately not good! It was hard to find any note they really hit and there was just no power behind it. Apart from everything else, which was just great (huge La Lethe!) I left with the thought that you cannot play in an opera house and sing as poorly as this…

ijustpop
              Participant

TheOne FormerlyKnownAsDaniel: Which show did you see?

Thing is though. I can't recall Bent's vocals being as high in the mix as this before.

Easy to hear all his flaws.

He sang pretty good to me (for Bent). But sure, neither Ståle, Snah or Bent are great singers and in the opera with strings it's just more obvious.

Great show!

Haven't seen that many Motorpsycho-shows lately (Once since 08 I think, 30+ between 98 and 08) and I really enjoyed it, although I didn't really know the material. I think I've listened to the Unicorn once (moving house, the hifi have been in boxes), but I'll definitely listen more to it.

And I loved being able to sit down. I've wanted to sit down while seeing Motorpsycho live for 15 years!

I saw the early show. All of them pretty high in the mix and they were excited of course. But you watch it and think:"Really go for it guys!!" When Snah or Stale sang Bent halfway "supported" them singing double a few inches from his mic. That made it even more sloppy for me…

otherdemon
                Participant

Yet another ugly vid (La Lethe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO_RwQc4Dj4

ThorEgil
                  Participant

Yet another review Dagsavisen

(The reviewer forgot to mention the Opera concert by Ulver – available on DVD and absolutely stunning – wish I was there).

supernaut
                    Participant

'twas a cold, damp and wet day. My head ached, my feet were wet (new shoes leaking, oh well), I knew it's grim up north but gaaah! So I was nipping my capuccino at the train station's bar with a view over to the opera. 1 hour to go before the first show. Then the sky tore up, the sun glared its last cheerio in gold and red, a fat rainbow over the business scrapers and the opera's front windows glittered in the wet but bright air. Something magical seemed to be brooding somewhere. So hurried over to the opera, up to the roof in the last rays of an Oslo sun (the first of those since I got there). Then down to the lobby, in to the hall. Maybe it was just me but no I don't think so: Everybody was in a higly anticipated state. Way more than usual. The air was electrified. Giddyness all abound. And then…

…what a performance! I found the sound brilliant in 3rd row. Thankfully it was LOUD! Considering its an opera. But there was some serious PA hanging. Singing and playing as stated above flawless. Highly impressive. Outlandish. The lead violin player wasn't all too bad either. And the chap behind Stale with the pointy hat and the gong was the "comic relief".

The lights were amazing. How brilliant is the idea of having an invisible screen in front of the band? So there's imagery in front of and behind the band? Btw if you google (I won't post a non MP clip here) for Led Zeppelin's 2007 live performance of the song "For your life" you get a probable source of inspiration for the images as seen on Devotionals 2nd pic above in this thread. But that's not to diminish my impression and admiration. It just so happens that that performance is the other one I so dearly wanted to see and that Zep song with the visuals is my most fave there. So it was so cool to have witnessed similar stuff over here. :)

and Kenneth is a god.

supernaut
                      Participant

oh also been at the late show, too. Sideways 1st balcony. Still great sound and sights up there. Thankfully I did allow me to go to both shows. One would have been way too short.

supernaut
                        Participant
                          Quote:
                          "Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn."

someone help me out here. is that a general saying that i never heard or did someone from the MP circle made it up for this album? because recently i saw this on a flag hanging from a Zurich balcony and i wondered what it was about…

supernaut
                          Participant

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994