MP Poll 2012: THE RESULTS!

Home Forums General MP Poll 2012: THE RESULTS!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Alright, the tour has begun, so it's time to close the Poll.

Thanks to all the people who participated, I've had my good fun reading your comments, and I'm happy for the kudos!

Gotta say that I had to "cut" some votes. For example, I didn't consider the EPs voted in "Album" sections, and when I recieved more votes than allowed (ex: 11 songs instead of 10), I cut the last title in the list. Sorry for this brutality but hey, even a list for geeks have an ethic!

First list is the list of the 25 participants. A very good number, I think it's quite representative of the g35ers round here!

Sorry if I mistyped any name, no norvegian keyboards here! :)

Rune Carstens

Aksel Haug

harry

Jacob solberg

Great King Rat

Chris Belardi

supernaut

Rolf Klausen

jtr

sjur577

Vedius

chris de graaf

Marty

BronYAur

Jeoren

Elvin

otherdemon

boomer former helm

TvdR

Ivan

stereosofa

daniel odda

Michel Helmecke

wulf

Mefisto

In the next hours, I'll add posts with all the results, starting from the bottom of the list of questions, like at the Academy Awards!

Hyena
    Participant

Frick! My answers are only half done and in my drafts-folder! Oh well, I'm excited about the results. Great initiative!

TAF
      Participant

Heh, same here Hyena. Oh well, there's always next time. :P

BEST "ANYTHING ELSE" PERFORMANCE

43 "performances" have received votes in this section, but only 12 received more than 1 vote. Note that the same song may have been voted for different reasons. This happened for example to the Golden Core, voted for the Mellotrone, the Xylofone and Anneli's vocals: I considered them as 3 different performances! Also, the performer may have been voted without specifying a particular song, as you will see…

2 VOTES went to 9 performances:

Baard live 2000/2002 (no song specified!)

Flutes on INTO THE GYRE

Sax on LA LETHE

Matt Burt on PLAN # 1

Horns on TAIFUN

Everything on THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN

Violins on THE GOLDEN CORE

Horns Intro on THROUGH THE VEIL

Moog Taurus on WATERSOUND

So far, massive presence of the latest album!

2 songs got 3 VOTES:

Orchestra on THE OTHER FOOL

Jaga Jazzists on PILLS, POWDERS AND PASSIONPLAYS – Fishtank version, of course!

Surprised for the Other Fool, very satisfied for PPPP!

AND THE WINNER IS…

DEATHPROD'S NOISE ON DEMON BOX! (6 votes)

25% of the voters voted Deathprod, no surprise I'd say… Let's see if the oldstyle MP will still prevail in the whole poll!

I'll list the 31 performances at 1 votes later… if you will ask me kindly! :)

BEST BASS PERFORMANCE

The Bent's favourite Poll, of course… (?)

MP fans like the Bass more than anything else: only one voter didn't give his list, making this category the most voted among "instruments" categories.

39 songs voted, but only 13 made it to 2 votes or more. Let's see who are they:

2 VOTES:

Gullible's Travails

Kill Some Day

Pills, Powders and Passionplays

Sinful, Wind-Borne

3 VOTES:

Demon Box

Radiator Freak

Starhammer

Tristano

4th position, 4 Votes: SUPERSTOOGE

3rd position, 5 Votes: THE HOLLOW LANDS (!!!)

2nd position, 6 Votes: THE WHEEL

AND THE WINNER IS…….

WALKING ON THE WATER with 8 votes!

Very surprised to see the Hollow Lands on the podium, it's surrounded by three very classic bass riffs. Coincidence: they're all on Roadwork 1!

BEST VOCAL LINE

Many people misunderstood the question, or to better say, my bad English made some mess: my intention was to vote the favourite vocal PERFORMANCES intended for the whole songs. Many of you gave me just a favourite "line", as in "verse"… Well, I just put the different kind of answers together: if you told me "You're just like me", I wrote "Plan # 1", and so on!

41 different songs voted, 12 with more than one vote. Let's see if we prefer Bent or Snah! Here we go:

2 VOTES:

30/30

All is Loneliness

Mad Sun

Oh Proteus – a Prayer

Radiator Freak

The Bomb-Proof Roll & Beyond

3 VOTES:

Landslide

Taifun

4th place, 4 votes: PLAN # 1

3rd place, 5 votes: SERPENTINE

2nd place, 6 votes: THE GOLDEN CORE

AND THE WINNER IS……

VORTEX SURFER with 9 votes!

Well, I thought it would have been a duel between TGC and VS, I'm quite surprised for the low quantity of votes taken by Snah, even though there are a lot of snah's song with 1 vote… And of all those songs I wouldn't have expected Serpentine with so many votes!

Best vote is the one to "Motorhead Mama"!

BEST GUITAR SOLO

Snah's time now. I considered this one a very tough one, and I was right: the winner has only one vote more than four other songs in second position! So a very strict victory for… well, let's see.

40 songs voted, 12 with more than one vote:

2 VOTES:

Drug Thing

Greener

Vortex Surfer

Wearing yr Smell

Year Zero

3 VOTES:

Gullible's Travails

Sinful, Wind-Borne

2nd place ex-aequo for 4 songs with 4 VOTES:

Before the Flood

Flick of the Wrist

Into the Gyre

Wishing Well (Roadwork IV version!)

Heh, the Roaswork version of Wishing Well has stunned many people, and so did the weird fripp-metallic solo un Into the Gyre…

AND THE WINNER IS…….

577 with 5 votes!

577 and Flick were my "bets" for this poll, the most classic Snah's solos in the discography. Surprised by Before the Flood, a song that, I understand now, is much more loved than I thought. Uhm, I think I voted it among the worst songs, ehm….

BEST DRUMMING

I'm surprised of the results here. As a drummer I was very curious to see who would have been the winner… and of course I was curious for the duality between Gebhardt and Kenneth. In the end, we had a lot of dispersion of votes, at least up to the second place!

36 songs voted, 17 with at least two votes.

2 VOTES:

Gullible's Travail

Hogwash (Roadwork III)

Kill Devil Hills / The Alchemyst (Roadwork IV)

Nothing to Say

Sinful, Wind-Borne

Sonic Teenage Guinevere

Through the Veil

Timothy's Monster

Walking on the Water

Whole Lotta Diana

2nd place, with 3 votes:

Feedtime

Hey Jane

Mutiny!

Whip that Ghost

The Golden Core

The Hollow Lands

AND THE WINNER IS……..

SUITE: LITTLE LUCID MOMENTS

…..with 12 VOTES!!!

Well, half of the voters DID vote LLM! Amazing result, considering you had only 3 options!

I suppose that for most of you (and me also!), that song was the first impact with Kenneth's drumming… and what an impact!

Still, I'm impressed by the "unanimity" of the vote… a vote with which, honestly, I don't agree!

WHO IS THE BEST DRUMMER?

Gebhardt or Kenneth? Hehe, probably the hardest question in the poll. No one wanted to answer, but in the end (almost) everyone did!

And this is the finale result:

BENT SAETHER – 1 VOTE! (hehe)

HAAKON GEBHARDT – 8 VOTES

KENNETH KAPSTADT – 15 VOTES

Yup, Kenneth won this one!

Many of those who voted Kenneth specified that they referred to the sole "technical level", but not necessarily to the affection for one's drumming. As a drummer, I can surely agree: Kenneth is far superior technically (and I think Geb would be the first to recognize it!) but not necessarily better in Motorpsycho's economy.

For example, I voted Geb, because I'm quite sure I'd recognize his personal drumming in any situation, while I'm not sure about Kenneth, less original though more powerful and fast.

That's it for the single-instrument polls.

Give me some time for the next part, the WORST poll!

harry
        Participant

Yes, love this stuff. Great reading material. Thanks a lot Bron Y Aur.

As for the best drumming part: I'm a drummer, did not vote for LLM. But I can't disagree really. It is a fantastic song and the drumming is superior I guess..

Keep em coming!

WORST SONG

OK, I'm a bit disappointed by you here!

A lot of people just said "I can't vote this one", "there's no worst song" and so on… or just voted the "Siddarthino" and "Dolphyn" stuff… c'mon guys! It was OBVIOUSLY the funniest part of the poll, and I'm not the Bent's secret agent! Lost the opportunity to make this poll more interesting just because you didn't want to type "The Slow Phaseout", but you can't love Mountain AND Carousel!

More than the "I like" polls, the "I dislike" poll should have given an idea of which "phase" of Motorpsycho is more (or less) appreciated by their fans…

Oh, well, I should have put the answers to this one mandatory to participate… :)

Anyway, many people voted instead, and I really appreciated comments like "this is really AWFUL!"…

In the end, we had 56 songs voted, but only 13 with more than one vote.

2 VOTES:

Close Your Eyes (Album version, not live!)

Coventry Boy

L.T.E.C.

Mr. Butterclut Goes to the Fair

Of Beacons & Beams (heh, not a serious vote this one!)

The Mirror and the Lie

Whole Lotta Diana

3 VOTES:

B.S.

What If

4th place with 4 votes: WALKIN' WITH J

3rd place with 5 votes: NEVER LET YOU OUT

2nd place with 6 votes: NEVERLAND

AND THE WINNER (OR THE LOSER?) IS:

COMPOSITE HEAD with 8 votes!

Well, the top 6 songs of this poll come from the pop-trilogy, and I'm not surprised at all. I'm quite surprised by the "winner", which surely is not a great song, but it actually polarized g35ers attention… considering that it didn't break our balls live (it was never performed!) as did instead Neverland, Walkin' w/j or Never Let You Out…

Well, now THEY know!

WORST ALBUM

More participation here than on the worst song. The results are quite predictable though.

1 vote to Little Lucid Moments and (!!!!) BLISSARD (!!!!) Who's the guy??? :)

This vote to Blissard is the only one to one of the 5 albums between Demon Box and Trust Us, and I'm surprised enough to see Blissard here…

2 votes to 8 soothing Songs for Rut and the latest two albums, Heavy Metal Fruit and Death Defying Unicorn.

Six albums remain:

4 votes to Phanerothyme! The pop-album less hated!

5 votes to Let them Eat Cake and Black Holes / Blank Canvas (BH/BC surprises me, I think it's a very good album!)

Second place ex-aequo with 10 (TEN!) votes:

Roadwork II (uh, predictable!)

It's a Love Cult (heh, I was afraid I was the only one!)

AND THE WINNER (or loser???) IS:

LOBOTOMIZER with a bunch of 14 votes!

No surprises here, maybe I should have not allowed Roadworks, but on the other hand I'm surprised that nobody votes Roadwork IV: if I remember well it received some sever criticism here on the forum, or am I wrong?

The interesting data is the lot of votes taken by IALC. C'mon people, that album SUCKS!

WANTED LIVE SONG

Not a very canonic poll this one, just a bunch of "wishes" for the tours to come… This Unicorn tour doesn't seem to be the good one for peculiar setlist choices (I still hope they stop this rock-opera madness before they come to Europe, but I suppose this will be their show for the whole spring…).

Anyway, let's see your desires! 15 songs out of 49 have recieved more than one vote:

2 VOTES:

Before the Flood (again???)

Dr. Hoffman's Bicycle

Feedtime

Flick of the Wrist

Lighthouse Girl

Mutiny!

Painting the Night Unreal

President Block

Timothy's Monster

3 VOTES:

Stalemate

The Ocean in Her Eye (someone specified: "in a PROPER version!")

2nd place ex-aequo with 4 votes:

Demon Box

Heartattack Mac

Radiator Freak

AND THE WINNER IS….

THE GOLDEN CORE with 5 votes!

Uh… can't agree with this one, because Golden Core is performed every now and then… I expected more rarities on the top of the podium, to be honest I'm surprised that Demon Box didn't win!

And I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one to wait for Radiator Freak!!!

BEST LIVE SONG

Motorpsycho have four roadworks out, but g35ers have seen a lot of concerts and have a lot of bootlegs of hundreds of concerts 1990-2011 (probably, there is some 2012 recording around yet :) )

So, we all know how different are MP in studio and live. And this makes this question interesting.

36 songs were voted, only 17 received at least 2 votes. Here we go:

2 VOTES:

Demon Box

Gullible's Travail

Hey Jane

Mountain

Plan #1

Sideway Spiral III

Sonic Teenage Guinevere

The Alchemyst

Walking on the Water

Watersound

3 VOTES:

Taifun

The Golden Core (uh! and it's the most desired!)

Vortex Surfer

4th place, 4 votes:

3rd place, 6 votes:

THE WHEEL

2nd place, 7 votes:

HOGWASH

AND THE WINNER, WITH 10 VOTES, IS:

A K9 SUITE!

Yep, the impressive 30 minutes-and-more monster won this poll by far. Not a big surprise, I'm more surprised by Hogwash and by Taifun being the top choice among songs not published live. Of course, everybody remembers the POWER of that moog-taurus in the live version if you've been lucky enough to witness it!

Still, I'm apparently the only one to consider the studio CHIEN better than the live version! That's only because I consider UN CHIEN the best song recorded in the last 30 years…

BEST LYRICS

Quite a sleepy poll this one, many of you admitted that they aren't really IN the lyrics.

So there has been a lot of vote dispersion, and 4 votes have been enough to win!

35 songs voted, 17 with more than one vote:

2 VOTES for 12 songs!

Before the Flood

Demon Box

Feel

Fools Gold

Heartattack Mac

Mad Sun

Now It's Time to Skate

Suite: Little Lucid Moments

Taifun

The Golden Core

Un Chien d'Espace

3 VOTES (ex-aequo 2nd place)

Kill Some Day

The Alchemyst

Wearing yr Smell

Wishing Well

AND THE WINNER IS…..

VORTEX SURFER (with only 4 votes!)

So, Vortex Surfer wins in 2 categories, lyrics and vocals… and the main category has to come!

As said, this poll isn't very indicative, due to the low votes for the winner. But heh, this is your choice anyway!

Now, we're going to examine the three polls regarding MP's releases themselves! Interesting results on the horizon!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994