Olavshallen, Trondheim, 19.11.2012

Home Forums General Olavshallen, Trondheim, 19.11.2012

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rolf
    Participant

So, the final "big band unicorn" has been played. And yes, it was awesome! And yes, I can't help but compare it to the Opera shows! I personally think the sound was much better in the Opera, but I still very much enjoyed it tonight as well. Solid performance. In my spot at the Opera everything sound-wise was crystal clear, but in Olavshallen it was noticably more "muddy".

Musically it was, of course, pretty much the same. In my opinion, Snah's solos were more inspired and interesting at the Opera. Ståle Storløkken did some amazing stuff on all shows, imho. Overall, they delivered as expected on both nights.

Fashion critique: Costumes are the same as the previous tour. All the orchestra guys wore sailor suits. Bent's head looks like a big ball of hair most of the time. Snah has glasses now. KÃ¥re Vestrheim had some kind of wizard hat.

One cool thing about tonight's show was that the guys in the Trondheim Jazzorkester seemed to improvise a bit more than in the opera, which added some interesting elements here and there. I can imagine Bent saying something like, "Hey guys, feel free to knock yourselves out now and then!" before the show.

So yeah: It was incredibly good. Powerful, big and intense, as the unicorn shall be. Somewhat disappointing sound, when compared to the Opera. One friend of mine complained about too much bass in his spot, another said he barely heard the bass, so…?

I don't really have much more to say.

Summary: it was awesome, but slightly less awesome than at the Opera. Great mood in general, and a long, standing applause after the end. (No encore.) The psychos and their affiliates seemed to be very pleased with the result. I say release a DVD/bluray of the Opera concert(s)!

Personal highlights: Sharks (>Mutiny>Into The Mystic), La Lethe, Oh Proteus – A Prayer.

supernaut
      Participant
        Quote:
        KÃ¥re Vestrheim had some kind of wizard hat

yes, funny and shame he was quite hidden behind Stale's set up at the opera. So was he more visible this time?

To me, the sound was actually better than at the opera. Possibly because I was sitting in the balcony instead of row 5. I thought the sound was more dynamic, and the band not quite so loud. You could actually hear the orchestra and horns in the louder parts.

To me it seemed they had some technical difficulties, Bent went back to have his bass looked at several times. And the soli were better at the opera, both Snah's and Ola Kvernberg's. All in all I enjoyed both the opera and the Olavshallen shows immensely.

Quote:

yes, funny and shame he was quite hidden behind Stale's set up at the opera. So was he more visible this time?

KÃ¥re "Gandalf" Vestrheim was just barely visible from row 4 at least:

8202748851_f89f6a2922_z.jpg

DSC_0849 by nilsludvig, on Flickr

8202748527_d279c28b35_z.jpg

8203876062_9fd41c6409_z.jpg

22 years ago I visited Trondheim with my brother. After that, he went his way and I did mine. I saw MP a couple of times in a couple of countries and a couple of settings. I was one of the 25 (max.)paying visitors in Tampere in 2011. And I saw them this year in Koln. In Olavshallen my brother was with me. United. And we were hosted by a great family who we met by Couchsurfing. We got lamb, dear, whale and go fine wine. Everything For Free. Damn, it was a great show. MP in hometown Trondheim. Blasting! They should play in Nederweert Holland next year!

Rune
        Participant
          Quote:
          They should play in Nederweert Holland next year!

Helemaal mee eens!! :D

Nederweert Rock City!

Zo is het Rune. Of anders op Bospop in Weert. Maar ik wil na al het reizen nu wel een keer met de fiets of te voet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994