The best musical discovery of 2017!

Home Forums General The best musical discovery of 2017!

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Brilliant post!! I think we're following similar psychonautic trajectories. I saw my first two MP gigs this year (London and K̦ln), just two months after first listening to them. I love what you said about the two older guys. They must be a little older than me, but I see myself in them. Now I can't wait to see MP again. Meanwhile I continue to populate my music collection with more MP music РI bought Blissard last week and although it's not what I would generally listen to, the fact that it's MP has drawn me in and it's really growing on me.

As for MP being superior to KC, that's a toughie. I don't easily rank bands anymore, but I do have my favourites and I now rate MP in a bracket with my all-time favourites – Yes, KC, Genesis, Floyd, Zeppelin, Hawkwind, Gong, Rush, Neil Young, Motorpsycho …

Hello!

Since seeing the band live on "The Tower" tour my record collection include 13 albums and 10 EPs. To me the music of Motorpsycho is exactly what I've been looking for! It's a brilliant mix of indie-pop/rock/jazz/progressive rock/stoner/old-school heavy metal etc…so far there is no song that I don't like…

Some cool memories from the show at Debaser, Stockholm, Sweden:

1. I was the first in line to enter the venue – second was some close relative of the new brilliant drummer!

2. The two older guys standing behind me that like me never had seen the band live before and like me watched the show in utter disbelief "Are you guys from Outer Space?" – "You are our New Gods" was some of the things they said during the show! They had seen Led Zeppelin live in 1972….great guys!

3. During some songs I had my arms up in the air and I got eye contact with some other guy that later came up to me and said "It was so great to see you standing in front of the stage long before the show started – I have seen about 20 shows and this was one of the very best I've seen" – Another great guy I'm sure I'll meet at shows during the next tour!

4. The moment after this when I still had my arms up in the air I noticed a guy standing to the left side of the stage and I got a similar happy reaction from him. During one of the last songs he was standing right next to me and I realized that it was Reine Fiske – the very best guitarist in Sweden if you ask me….friends of mine that have talked with him have said that he can be very eccentric and almost rude so I'm happy about the response I got from him…

5. The old bass player of Meshuggah asking to take a picture of Ryan's setlist that I got…I didn't recognize him at all…I could've said thank you for the gig back in 1998…but I've almost met many of my musical heroes

Some other guy also took a picture of the setlist and he said that Motorpsycho is superior to King Crimson…to each his own but I don't agree with him…but Motorpsycho show was for sure top 5-10 in my life…

Thank you for an amazing evening!

Hello!

Thank you very much Lizard!

They were in their early 60's I believe – great people – very fun to talk too!

Regarding Blissard I had some difficulty with that album as well but I love it now! In the beginning it sounded somewhat like a copycat Sonic Youth but now I regard it as the best album that Sonic Youth never wrote! Manmower was so amazing to experience live!

Great list of bands! YES is number one for me along with Crimson, Magma, Zappa – so many bands really….music and literature are my biggest passions in life….it never ends…

It was amazing to see YES with orchestra and I've seen them 4 times I believe….I was at a fan gathering twice and Jon Anderson and his wife Jane were sitting at a table in the middle of the room. I was so nervous that my legs were shaking and suddenly Jon turns around and waves to me and says "Hey, Get over here – sit down beside me and ask me ANYTHING you want!" – I had my copy of Tales on CD with me and he started to explain the lyrics…I was completely lost within seconds of course….

Nowadays if I meet a band I love I usually only say "Thanks for the amazing show and for sharing your amazing music with the world!" – But as I said – I have almost met many musicians I love…

Rush I've loved for more than 20 years but I never saw them live which is very sad – I had a ticket once but I was stupid and sold it…Neil will never play live again I'm sure. I did meet a neighbor of Geddy Lee at a Chelsea Wolfe show once…

I love Floyd up until the Wall, Genesis up until Trick of the Tail and I only have Mountain Grill on CD by Hawkwind but that one is amazing! Gong I love very much especially You – I've told the owner of my local record store that I'd pay him a full salary to be him back in 2001 when he saw Gong live….I did see the latest incarnation of Gong at Roadburn this year and it was very good – many goosebumps and I wept during Master Builder…Neil Young is great but I only have "Tonight's the night" on CD….

Sorry for the rambling post…I hope I can buy Child of the Future, Here be Monsters and Eggplant before 2017 is over!

Mark
    Participant

Blissard will grow on you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994