The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Home Forums General The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

@otherdemon. Sounds like flute though, not sax, which is what I thought you'd speculated earlier. Either way … I like it!

Punj Lizard
      Participant

Five hours since I posted the link and no other comments on those samples. I expected a whole bunch of posts lol

Kid A
        Participant

No spoilers for me :wink: I like the feeling of experiencing completely new sounds when I put a new record on the turntable

JERO
          Participant

Of course I'm curious about The Crucible like we all are, but I don't like the contemporary culture of song-snippets, sound-bites and titbits. It just shows there isn't the attention span anymore for a whole piece of music in the 21st century shizoid man of our time; like these 20 seconds?-buy the album. Hey, this is not your hitsingle teenybopperband here. And a piece of music by MP asks and deserves my full attention and time to make it into that special experience of the wonder we call music. So I'll wait, agree with Kid A here.

Punj Lizard
            Participant

@ Jero – :lol: I think this is only the second time I've ever listened to such samples and in the previous instance (about four or five years ago) it was for the latest album by my favourite band of yore, Yes. In essence I completely agree with your philosophy with regard to "the contemporary culture" you describe. And altough I could certainly put forward an argument for listening to snippets of certain bands as being like tasting a fine wine at a vineyard before taking a bottle home and opening it in a controlled environment conducive to appreciating its full glory, that would be bullshit. Because the fact of the matter is that I'm afraid that less than eighteen months into this infatuation I'm still rather like the proverbial kid in a candy store. All rational thinking and patience has been ushered aside in the glaring light of the wonder of not just music in general, but the music (and existence) of this specific band.

JERO
              Participant

Sure, Punj, we are fans, and fan is short for fanatic :D

We are sitting on the curb in front of the same candy store, it opens in februari!

And by the way, I'm not only looking forward to a great new album (or ep , haha) but also hope for a Trust Us box (like they did with the first 4 classic albums) coming in 2019! Now that would be quite the bag of liquorice allsorts to chew on!!!Cheers!

Punj Lizard
                Participant

@JERO – I'm right there with you on the Trust Us matter. :cheers:

Kid A
                  Participant

Yea, the Trust Us Box. I´m almost as excited for this one as for the new album/EP, if that´s possible. And, related to another thread, wouldn´t it be the perfect opportunity for adding Rad.Freq to the 2019 live selists :mrgreen:

boomer former helm
                    Participant

@Kid A – that would be huge

nicoot
                      Participant

It seems the Stickman website is a bit broken…

rtv
                        Participant

@ nicoot Who expect that?

nicoot
                          Participant

Weird, I'm in but the new album doesn't appear anywhere on the website…

kjellepelle
                            Participant

pre-order started at Rune Grammofon

The Crucible pre-order

Quote:
                              Comes as a 180g black vinyl edition and limited 180g silver vinyl edition.

Both vinyl editions include a CD and come in a special 4 panel fold-out sleeve.

Please note: The silver vinyl edition is limited to one copy per customer.

Vinyl cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

The Crucible starts where The Tower ended, but it soon takes on its own hue, and it is clear that it cannot be called a ‘sequel' as such: this is very much a step further out than anywhere the band ventured on The Tower. While it is broader lyrically speaking, it is even sharper focused musically and, if possible, even more idiosyncratic and insular than ever: unarguably a Motorpsycho album. There aren’t many traditional song structures or pop format platitudes on display, and there is indeed hardly any respect paid to any trad rock song conventions on the whole album, but that’s not really what one listens to Motorpsycho for anyway, is it? From the most Neanderthal of rock riffs to the most rhythmically oblique polytonal solo sections they’ve ever recorded, this album musically seems to sum up the extremes of the band’s current interests and concerns.

The Crucible was recorded at Monnow Valley Studios in Wales in August 2018 by Hans Magnus Ryan (guitars, vocals), Bent Sæther (bass, vocals, sundry) and Tomas Järmyr (drums), with co-producers Andrew Scheps and Deathprod. To these ears, and to the band’s satisfaction, this co-production ploy worked out wonderfully, and has resulted in a beautifully crafted record, smaller in size but at least equal in ambition to its celebrated predecessor. It is somehow both more focused, and denser in content, but also compositionally more ambitious than The Tower. One would perhaps think that this necessarily results in a diminished sonic assault, but the album still packs a wallop like a good rock record should. And – ‘for once’ some waggish tongues would say – does not outstay its welcome.

Released 15.02.19

Punj Lizard
                              Participant

I can't get into the Stickman site at all, just getting "problem loading page" and "internal server error" messages over and over. This has been going on since about 11.58. Oh well. I will persevere.

kjellepelle
                                Participant

Sounds lik the server couldnt handel the pressure :MPD: :STG:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 232 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994