The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Home Forums General The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    JERO
    Participant

They're the Sherrifs of Hong Gong :lol:

@TheOtherAnders LOL your comment is much more impressive than the song!

But no problem, because the rest of the album is a BOMB!

marc
      Participant

Apparently, they were having lots of fun in the studio, judging by that ridiculous gong and the extensive cowbell action :D

Definitely a solid song and they further refined that whole hard/prog rock thing. It is a catchy groovy riff, but there was plenty of similar Sabbath-riffing recently. So, refinement? Definitely! Progress? Well…

I certainly love me some Snah solo – that unique quality of pushing the climax of a song even further and squeezing maximum intensity out of it. The first solo though is pretty sloppy and lacking that character, in my opinion. Three minutes into the song it is getting much more interesting. As mentioned before, the dueling guitar solo is really great and it is cool how they don't care and let the song go nuts and take its turns.

So, one song left to discover. Excited how this one will turn out, esp. the Horntveth contribution.

Marc: "So, refinement? Definitely! Progress? Well…"

This sums up my low enthusiasm for the song.

Amd the reason why I love the HBM + HBM2 stuff, which was a marvellous variation from their trails

shakti
        Participant

Just gave it a very brief listen via crappy computer speaker, so not much to judge by, but…

I like it just fine, but as others have mentioned, this Sabbathy thing is something they have done a *lot* starting with Heavy Metal Fruit. A certain way the song melody weaves around the riffing which is starting to sound a little formulaic. That said, I think Anders is onto something – even if this is derivative, they still do it better than anyone else. And as the song goes on, there's enough interesting stuff going on to make it worthwhile, even if the song/melody itself isn't particularly impressive or innovative. Gotta love the gong though.

I'm anxious to hear the rest of the album, but judging by this track alone I don't think it'll match The Tower. That was a marvellous album because they let loose and just did it all…this track sounds more self-consciously "proggy" and Motorpsychy. They are at their best when they are not aiming to do one particular thing.

Hearing that they are already writing new stuff is very exciting though.

pfnuesel
          Participant

Very confused by the guitar solo.

Punj Lizard
            Participant

I love the gong. There, I said it. It adds a massive dramatic element that just gets me all excited. Yes, it's a little bit OTT, but I don't care. Anyway, I love the first and middle sections, the sub-Sabs riffing and the twin guitars (although I tend agree with Marc regarding the first solo), but what's most interesting to me about the song is the route it takes in the second half. I couldn't, at first blush, for the life of me figure out really what's going on. It seemed to be a bit directionless. But when I listened to it, two things from Supernaut's intentionally vague review came to mind: "bold" and "Death Defying". A few more listens and it's growing on me.

@ Shakti – I agree regarding Anders being on to something. And the point extends, IMHO, to anything else Motorpsycho does that seems to sound like another band/song – whether it's Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath: they do it best because it always sounds like Motorpsycho and it always sounds brilliant – and personally I never think, "Oh dear, they're trying to sound like [enter name of band here]". What I think is, "Fucking hell, how brilliant is this?" I could name countless prog bands that sound like Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP and so on and so on, but I could name very few indeed that actually break out beyond that copycat mould to sound innovative, original, compelling. And because Motorpsycho can do that across so many genres and drawing on so many influences (just listen to Tristano!! Or Mammonumamikona!!), they are unquestionably one of a kind. No band I've ever heard even comes close in that regard.

supernaut
              Participant

It's quite fun to read your reactions to Psychotzar and speculations about the rest of the album while I've heard that whole album already. Sometimes a song only really shines within the context of the whole album. Like I was a bit underwhelmed with ASFE at first but listening to it in The Tower's sequencing it rocked awesomely.

So Psychotzar… yup there is the Sab thing happening. But that's cool because it's not the usual stonerband vagueish Sweet Leaf ripoff, it's rather a show of understanding of how Sabbath worked and the knowledge of their lesser known songs and stylings. The dual stereo guitar solo is nothing short of brilliant. And then throwing some King Crimson in at around the 6:40 mark but then immediately making it their own thing. Love it.

All I'm saying is: Don't worry. It's a brilliant album. And the two other songs do go other places than the opening one.

Punj Lizard
                Participant

@ supernaut – I wish you could see the big smile on my face. :D

supernaut
                  Participant

Listening to Lux Aeterna right now. This is clearly a band having a blast in the studio, playing and producing and living their musicians' and band's lives. There is an obvious f yr expectations attitude going on, which is funny considering their devoted fanbase, which again allows them to do just that. A genuine give and take magic between band and fans.

I'd love to hear an Andrew Scheps aftermath interview. I guess he's quite happy with the outcome, too.

supernaut
                    Participant

@punji

it'll be a lot bigger in a few weeks time. :D

supernaut
                      Participant

what I'd like right now is something of an in depth making of documentary, the band and scheps in the studio. damn that would be brilliant.

Punj Lizard
                        Participant

@supernaut – how much do you think Scheps influenced the production? As I understand it, it was a co-production effort with Deathprod, which I imagine would have been a bigger deal for Scheps than for Deathprod given the former's expressed love of Demon Box and the sonic landscape of that album. Like you I'd love to hear what he has to say about working with the band on this album, especially as he's essentially an "outsider" despite his work on Boxful of Demons and Roadwork 5.

Please believe me: Psychotzar is the less interesting song of the album.

I'll make my SPOILER and then I'll go to hell:

Best Snah's studio solo inside

Don't mind the gong, but am I the only one who are getting a bit tired of that mellotron?

I would like MP to record as the real power-trio they are for once, just bass, guitar and drums!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 232 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994