The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Home Forums General The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    supernaut
    Participant

@punij

No idea. I'm assuming after 30 years the band knows exactly what it wants and how it's done. BUT I also think Scheps is a total match and working with a perfectly matching engineer/producer/dude does influence the work very muchly, as in being together on the ride with the same goal.

So for this and considering his professional CV, I'd like to hear his views on the experience.

@neil tesor:

I understand where you're getting at but hm…. are you sure the real MP is the power trio? Isn't their trio outfit the rarest of them all? On most records and tours they had guests and collaborateurs. But maybe I get you wrong, you just want a pure no nonsense bass guitar drums record with or without guest muscicians. Gut feeling says this probably won't ever happen (anymore): too much gear lying around, too many ideas, too much thirst for exploring sonic landscapes.

otherdemon
      Participant

@NeilTesor: There can never be enough mellotron, IMHO :lol:

Punj Lizard
        Participant

@supernaut – What makes you think they're "a total match"? These are not trick questions, I'm trying to figure out what all the fuss is about him. I don't know anything about the guy or his work except that he seems to be a well-known producer who's worked with some big, big names, but the band he really personally wanted to work with is Motorpsycho.

Kid A
          Participant

@punj: don´t know what supernaut meant, but I´d agree, cause they are all people who really understand music. I mean, in the way you wrote earlier, why you love MP.They understand how it works, what Black Sabbath is about, what Prog is about, what MUSIC is about. When you listen to Scheps´ works, you hear the same devotion and love fpr what he´s doing. So, perfect match.

@psychonaut: "Sometimes a song only really shines within the context of the whole album".

Yep. And that´s exactly the reason I won´t listen to it before the album is out.

supernaut
            Participant

I think so not because of his previous work, because honestly I wasn't aware of him until a couple of years ago. I stumbled upon him while looking for some production/mixing software to use for myself and there his name kept popping up. So I watched lots of his practical tips and also some "producer philosophy" speeches he made at workshops and such. And I immediately liked his approach and him as a person. Then heard he's onto working with Motorpsycho and I thought "Yes! Perfect match!"

Punj Lizard
              Participant

@Kid A and @supernaut – Interesting. Yes, I hear what you're both saying. When his involvement with Roadwork 5 was announced I became curious and watched a few YouTube vids of him talking about his work and so on and also found him to be a thoughtful and articulate person with a clear and nuanced understanding of what it means to work with music and musicians. The fact that he loves Motorpsycho is of course great. Thanks for your thoughts.

@supernaut Yeah, I know it probably won't happen, but I've always thought of MP as a trio, and I like them best live as a trio too!

Bartok
                Participant

Psychotzar sounds great! Wasn’t sure in the first couple of listenings, been a long time since I tapped into MP now, my mind somewhere else, but wow, heavy stuff, the sound and riffing takes me back to the early days. That last climbing riff, omg. Read Bents memo, he seems uncharacteristically humble, but this sounds very good in my ears. Also can’t wait to hear the “definitive” version of Lux, and the other song, and Lars’s contribution. Expecting a nice heavy shortish affair. And the news of new material, great, as MP is known for working in triplets I guess we’ll get the last chapter of the Tower triology, should be good. I hope it entails some acoustic moments as well, not California based, but straight outta Snåsa. We’ll see, but it all seems very healthy in the psychoverse, and I’m very happy.

And, love the gong! The cowbell or whatever it is, not so much. Or the processed vocals or whatever it is that makes them sound so… filtered. Can’t have it all!

Punj Lizard
                  Participant

I listened to the whole of Sabotage this morning, headphones on, volume dialled up to 11. It's like they took bits of Psychotzar and built a whole album around it. :lol: :lol:

@Punj Lizard: Sabotage is such an awesome album, maybe my favourite Black Sabbath!

shakti
                    Participant

Sabotage is the bomb.

I just gave Psychotzar another listen on a proper system. I like it much more now. Definitely something interesting going on even in this very Sabbathy mode. It is very much like a continuation of Bartok and Cuckoo. Sounds promising if the album total offers more variety too.

Punj Lizard
                      Participant

@Neil Tesor – It may be mine too. I've had that feeling for a long time, though I've never really been able to explain why. It's just, as Shakti says, the bomb.

Johnny_Heartfield
                        Participant

My favourite is still Vol. 3 – shortly followed by the first Sabbath album and in fact Sabotage. As MP are obviously intensifying their MotorSabbath leanings, we should probably start another Sabbath thread?

Personally I'm quite happy MotorYes is over for the moment, although I miss MotorFloyd a little…

supernaut
                          Participant

fave Sabbath album with my fave song: Vol 4

obviously

But I love all OzzySabbath albums except for Technical Ecstasy, except for "It's Allright". That one is a forgotten AOR classic.

shakti
                            Participant

Overall favourite Sabbath album: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabbath completely over-the-top great but album not-quite-making it to the absolute top: Sabotage

Album with the absolute best track: Volume 4 (Wheels of Confusion).

Sabotage has the band probably at their peak – the riffs are simpler than ever yet heavier than ever. Their collective power was so staggering by then that it's almost like they can't control it….the music controls *them*. It's strange – it's probably the album I like the best for those reasons, but as an *album*, of songs, arrangements and Production, I think SBS edges it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 232 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994