Trondheim 16.12.11

Home Forums General Trondheim 16.12.11

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Rolf
    Participant

And finally, a small note on the support band: they had a pretty cool thing going on, I'm not sure how to describe them with words, but I understand that MP like them! The only criticism is that I thought all their four songs were very similar, following the same formula, so for me it quickly became a bit boring.

And to end their set, they covered "Feel"! Nice version.

Great show!

Nice mix of new and old stuff. I got a blues feeling about the Iron Frock and some other stuff (unsure if I like this direction).

For me the sound was much better than last year.

Slightly less introvert snah for a change, yeah!

BTW: Kenneth is just marvelous! (Not exactly news)

577 is an u-boat?

Rolf
      Participant

Yeah, they were quite extrovert tonight, jumping and kicking and laughing and being very animated! Especially Bent, but also Snah! Lots of fun to watch!

U-boat? Before 577 I thought Bent said "Here's a song about a rowboat!" – but he might have said "U-boat"?! I don't know, Bent says many strange things when introducing songs… I have no idea where they originally got the title '577' from, but the official explanation is that 577 = 5+7+7 = 19, which is the last number/age in the lyrics.

Great King Rat
        Participant

Wow, I have to say I really like that setlist! Would have loved to see that concert. Many hits, yes, but there's nothing wrong with that for me. I've seen a good twenty something MP shows but I'm still waiting to see Wearing your smell and A shrug. I also would have enjoyed 's numbness and Flick a lot which I've seen maybe once before. So, is this the direction they're going live now? Or will a greatest hits show like this remain the exception?

Mark
          Participant

I'd settle for a greatest hits show anytime!

Bold move to open with Gullible (a magnificent version!!), and with that opening you could expect psychedelia heaven, but it was not to be. I wouldn't call the "hit parade" a negative thing. It was great to see the guys embrace the old material and play around with it. Altso lovely not to hear Year Zero, Kill Devil Hills etc, that they've played so often the last couple of years. The merging of Coventry Boy and Serpentine was a special highlight. Great night, kinda like a Veita Scene-gig anno 1997!

fillmore
            Participant

"Coventry Boy"? Was it played? It's neither on the band's setlist nor in Rolf's setlist…

"[…] kinda like a Veita Scene-gig anno 1997!" -> Haha, absolutely!

Yep. At the beginning of Serpentine, and after the chorus of the same song. More drony than the original. Mind you: this was when the audience's chattery was at it's loudest.

Another highlight occured before the guys went on stage, when the music of obscure norwegian jazz rock band Min Bul (with Terje Rypdal on guitar AND soprano sax!) was plasting over the speakers! http://youtu.be/i1ekCYgHZzU

Tomcat
              Participant

Good to see 577 back in the set, and I very much hope for Close Your Eyes to make it to Germany in April :-)

Holle
                Participant

Great setlist.

Obviously a lot of great hits

I can imagine with a lot of great fun.

supernaut
                  Participant

exactly! oh i'd have loved to witness this. a collection of great songs with just a handful of long jams, starting with the majestic gullible and then starmelt, like always and numbness and others! brillant. hope there's a decent recording of this. :)

TAF
                    Participant

Lovely setlist!

stanley: "Altso lovely not to hear Year Zero, Kill Devil Hills etc, that they've played so often the last couple of years."

Have to agree with you here, the setlists have grown a bit repetitive in the last year or two – and apparently the band thinks so, too! :P When you focus so much on jamming it's always good to shake the setlist up a bit to keep things fresh.

As for the u-boat reference, could this be it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Growler_(SSG-577)

Some live recordings from the show.

Walking On The Water

and

kak
                      Participant

Someone has posted another video, although the sound isn't all that:

http://youtu.be/PAxaNpEKbo0

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994