shakti

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 162 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: What song is better on record than live? #34689
    shakti
    Participant

Yes, yes, yes! I have been begging for a return of the Radiator Freak for 20 years. I got to hear it in 1998 and it was great, even if it was difficult to reproduce live. Lots of audience noise during the quiet bits. But a quartet version would be cool.

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #33866
      shakti
      Participant

Anyone know what the venue in Genova is like? Would that be a good destination for a single gig (don't think we can squeeze in more than one).

in reply to: What song is better on record than live? #34686
        shakti
        Participant

Interesting to see a lot of people agree with me that Manmower is better without the jamming. I think they have done some beautiful live versions, particularly the very low key '98 ones. But I am not a fan of the drawn-out noodley ones they have done lately.

Bartok has also been singled out. It is so immensely powerful in its studio Version, so even if I the one they did in Drammen recently was very good, they don't seem to nail that Sabbath-y heavy swing live.

Plan #1 has always been killer live, even if it usually stays very true to the formula. I think the power of that one is increased live.

Interestingly, while STG is one of their best live songs overall (the über-skronky '98 versions are off the chart great!), the impact of the main riff when it appears after the intro is never as great as on record. Probably to do with dynamics and how the PA and amps just can't deliver the punch in the same way in a live setting.

The same problem is apparent with The Golden Core. It can be a transporting experience live, but usually there is annyoing audience interference, and a lack of additional oomph and punch for the final cathartic crescendo.

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #33858
          shakti
          Participant

Trying to convince some friends that we make our annual city trip to somewhere coinciding with Motorpsycho's tour program this year. It's about time I saw a gig or two on the continent! Italy would be my preferred destination, but it depends on some logistical factors.

On another note; is there any info yet on what the "Motorpsycho & Friends" show at Øya is about. Could it be….Trust Us album gig?

in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33556
            shakti
            Participant

But I do agree about your assessment of the Drammen gig. I didn't get it into the mood, but mostly out of the circumstances (up on the gallery, no alcohol, and the most annoying drunkard 5 feet away talking loudly during most of the show). Musically it was fine, and Cuckoo was indeed great.

in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33555
              shakti
              Participant

I am the lowly, filthy individual who doesn't enjoy a jammed-out Manmower. I just think some of these jams they get into these days are extremely predictable and un-Motorpsycho-like. No motor, no psycho, just a lot of jazzy noodle. And this comes from a jazz lover.

But it also depends on the mood and the moment, so I fully accept that they jam it out in search of something. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss. In the case of Manmower, however, I think the original song is so beautifully crafted, the pacing is just right and it slays me emotionally every single time, even 20+ years later. Any jamming on this one just dilutes the impact, at least to my ears.

in reply to: Motorpsycho and… (tbc) #34121
                shakti
                Participant

Had some good times seeing AMT in the very early 2000s. The Motorpsycho Connection is there…sort of… AMT is much looser and don't seem to do much in the songwriting Department. That has always been Motorpsycho forte over any other similar bands – the ability to structure the material a bit more and write really, really good songs.

AMT always struck me as being closer in spirit to early 70s kraut and space bands. Their name reveals one very obvious connection/inspiration.

in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33549
                  shakti
                  Participant

I'll agree Lacuna was pretty good in Drammen – at least there was *something* happening during the middle section. I love the theme/song, but the mid section frequently drags on with not much happening. Taifun was beautiful but does not, IMHO need the extra part tacked on at the end. Bartok was strong with some wild soloing from Snah, Cuckoo similarly strong. Dream Home was also a very good version with nice parts from Lars H. The highlight was easily The Wheel which was great and very, very heavy. Manmower is another one of those stunning songs which do not benefit from the extended jamming. At least it was relatively brief in Drammen.

in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33540
                    shakti
                    Participant

I was up in the gallery on the left hand, and the sound was actually very good there. Not too loud either, I always use earplugs at Motorpsycho gigs but actually didn't use them this time. It didn't seem that loud up there.

When I say the gig was average that means it was still very good. Just didn't transcend to the next level. But the Tower songs were played very, very well. STG with Snah on the 12-string was interesting. Played faster than before, but the 12-string emphasized the folky(!) element of the song. Can't remember the last time I heard The Wheel live (Øya 2006?) so that was easily the highlight for me.

Lastly, one of my pet peeves; please, please don't make every song a jam song. It is not needed.

in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33535
                      shakti
                      Participant

Ship

Taifun

Bartok

Cuckoo

STG

Lacuna

Dream Home

Up Down

Wheel

Plan #1

Manmower

Tower

2hrs 25

Did I miss any songs? The Wheel massive, all songs very well done, but overall average.

in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33519
                        shakti
                        Participant

It's a little strange that the few Norwegian gigs next week aren't listed at the official site. I hope they will debut some new material!

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33476
                          shakti
                          Participant

I think many are in agreement with you, Hans. I too sometimes miss that 80s/90s indie or metal influence in their songwriting. Last heard around BH/BC I think. And I would tend to agree that the progress from album to album isn't really that noticeable anymore, but again, that's something that will eventually happen to anyone. I wouldn't agree that their whole range isn't on display anymore though, it's just not so obviously eclectic all the time. More like their influences have congealed into its own sound.

That said, since 2008/9 it *has* been heavy on stoner-ish psych-prog excursions, and their weaker (IMO) albums are the ones where that style is most prominently on display. Typically those are also the albums with the weakest songs (again IMO). Which was why I was so happy with The Tower; great songs, and virtually all of their sonic universe utilized to full extent. Coupled with that sense of urgency and "need" to write (as you convey very well with your references to "pained" Bent in This Is Motorpsycho) it became IMO by far the best Motorpsycho album in almost 20 years.

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2018 #32351
                            shakti
                            Participant

Not foolish at all, and I have been wondering the same thing. It's been a while since we heard anything new.

OTOH, it's not always a success hearing new material live. If the sound is so-so, then sometimes new material doesn't work out well. I have experienced the opposite though – at Slottsfjell 2009 they played a lot of stuff from CHild of the Future which was not yet out, but the sound was great and the showed absolutely rocked!

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33471
                              shakti
                              Participant

I'll be in Drammen too, would be nice to hook up! I will probably be driving so no beer though…:-/

Great songs post-Geb:

– BH/BC is full of great songs

– She Left on the Sunship has some killer riffing but is let down by the jammy ending

– The Alchemyst is beatiful

– The Magic and the Wonder (and to a slightly lesser extent Entropy)

– I like the main themes of Lacuna/Sunrise, but again the jamming dilutes the impact. IMHO.

And finally, The Tower is chock-full. I love The Maypole too – lyrics perhaps a bit contrived but working nonetheless, and musically I think it is a homerun even if lightweight compared with the rest of the record.

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33451
                                shakti
                                Participant

Bartok nailed it; URGENCY! It's the (somewhat) missing ingredient since the late 90s, which has only occasionally been detectable since then, but returned with a vengeance on The Tower. Horntvedt or not, I am very excited about the upcoming record.

I think it is almost impossible for any band to maintain the same level of excellence and urgency throughout a long career. We move on as individuals and the band moves on as an entity, going through phases where different things are important. Motorpsycho from their inception and through 1998 was riding the crest of a wave, reaching unmatched heights. It was impossible to keep that level of urgency, even though one could argue that they have maintainted their level of excellence to an admirable extent. But again, with The Tower, they tapped into some of that same bank of inspiration, and it came out sounding urgent and important.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 162 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994