marc

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 278 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: YAY! – Album reviews #41453
    marc
    Participant

Plattentests.de

7/10

Break from shift work

The Norwegians from Motorpsycho have always been busy. Much to the delight of their loyal fans, they reliably present album after album and, despite all the quantity, don’t forget the quality. From 2019, the band even increased their productivity again, starting with “The Crucible” a stringent annual rhythm was struck. This definitely requires discipline from the inclined audience, because the full processing of their works does not succeed on the side. So now: “Yay!” as the successor to the fine predecessor “Ancient astronauts”, which tended towards the overflowing format. The album contained only four songs, which nevertheless made it to almost an impressive three-quarters of an hour. “Yay!” goes a different way: Motorpsycho shook themselves up and threw off a lot. What has remained: its great class. “Cold & bored” and “Sentinels” at the start present the band resolutely in an acoustic guise, which isn’t bad news despite all the reduction. Of course, Motorpsycho basically live from the shift work, when the songs unfold more and more powerfully and sometimes almost end up in chaos before everything is brought together again. But even this reserved, completely simple (and certainly not simple-minded) expression of her work has its undeniable appeal. “Patterns” as the first big highlight on “Yay!” but then also shows directly that Bent Sæther, who wrote all the songs, doesn’t like to exaggerate with the reticence. Later on, it gets very intimate when Sæther takes a look at the Corona period in “Real again (Norway shrugs and stays at home)” on the basis of a guitar that is only used hesitantly: “Now we’re hanging out in different rooms / All pretending to cherish meetings on Zoom / Supposed to strengthen all our ties / But your faces all seem demoralized / I can see the light growing dim in your eyes.” The heaviness of the content and the musical lightness are brought into perfect harmony here. Sæther and his comrades-in-arms continue to creatively live out the joy of variety. “Hotel Daedalus”, for example, comes very close to the typical Motorpsycho sound in the second part of the album and can be described as almost overflowing in comparison to the rest of the work, not only because of its length of almost eight minutes.

“Yay!” is by the way the first album after the Norwegians announced the departure of drummer Tomas Järmyr. However, he is still involved here, as are Reine Fiske and Lars Fredrik Swahn from time to time. At the very end, in the final “The rapture”, Motorpsycho sum up the album: “Days are getting longer, summer’s almost here / I thank my guardian angels we survived another year / When summer rolls around again / I’m gonna lay my head back in the grass / And count my blessings one by one, and hope it won’t be my last.” Summers come, summers go – and Motorpsycho just keep doing what they do best: reliably great art.

in reply to: YAY! – Album reviews #41449
      marc
      Participant

Horribly written, but hey….9/10! :)

MOTORPSYCHO – Yay!

in reply to: I wonder.. #41395
        marc
        Participant

That is going to be a wild tour! :D
          So apparently temporary drummers is the new drill

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by marc.
          in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2023 #41387
          marc
          Participant

Translation of said promising announcement:

Hello Norway! 🇳🇴
            In the autumn we will bring the legends @reinisen and @olafmosesolsen with us and come around and play for you!

Since #Yay! stayed as it was (it’s just to be happy!), there will probably be a bit more acoustic guitar and far more singing than there has been for a while on this round. Of course, we intend to rock your shoes too, but we’re really looking forward to showing off the slightly more concrete side of the Motorpsychodelic universe again. Yin AND yang! ☯️

#snah is – as you have probably caught on to – in hard training, and is constantly observed running around the local environment with a mysterious red suitcase. Which, regardless of its meaning, bodes well for the form! 😮‍💨#differentstrokesfordifferentfolks

This will be fun!

in reply to: I wonder.. #41384
            marc
            Participant

Cool,curious about how the drummer might affect potential setlists / choice of songs.

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41347
              marc
              Participant

Vegard, what is the story behind that picture? I dont know it.

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41328
                marc
                Participant

arne and gunter 1850 :-D

Snah is transforming into Holger Czukay :-)

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41295
                  marc
                  Participant

Speaking of rehearsal with old members…

hearing that tune, I totally see Geb playing guitar/banjo sitting on a bar stool wearing shorts and slippers! :mp: (let me daydream a bit plz)

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41294
                    marc
                    Participant

Newt easer, this is going to be what Bent promised:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Crvb7uIMnAk/

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41290
                      marc
                      Participant

Brilliant! :mp:

“busy rehearsing new and old members.”

Wonder what that means.

Just realised i’ll marry my girl on the day of release….so i get to say YAY! twice that day :-)

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by marc.
                        in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41266
                        marc
                        Participant

Maintenance of that other website is really something else 😅 Over two years no new entry….no word about YAY!

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41243
                          marc
                          Participant

Haha, brilliant. Great to see them having fun. Fantastic picture, even better whig 😅

Not a huge Floyd Fan, but Have a Cigar would work really well with some traktorbass/taurus-action

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41235
                            marc
                            Participant

Just listened to the teaser again….as much as i love the occasional (melodic) solo and enjoy far-out excursions….strumming-Snah really ist the best Snah! :mp:

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41233
                              marc
                              Participant

MP being produced/edited/reworked by Düngen….what can go wrong. Over the years, the band certainly managed to steadily hone its craftsmanship and keep music a challenge to themselves and the listener. However, one basic ingredient increasingly moved to the back of the shelf and was sometimes completely forgotten about: some lightness and ease. After having read the text, I am thrilled we finally might see a return of that part of the MP universe :stg:

in reply to: Bizarre Festival 2002 #41160
                                marc
                                Participant

Wow, the day after this show they played at Highfield Festival in Germany…it was my very first MP Concert. Great to see footage, thx!!! Slightly different setlist at the concert i attended:

Pills, Powders + Passion Plays
                                  Landslide
                                  Thème de Yoyo
                                  Überwagner or a Billion Bubbles in My Mind
                                  Go to California
                                  Serpentine
                                  The Other Fool
                                  Superstooge
                                  Tristano
                                  Black to Comm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 278 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994