Johnny_Heartfield

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 546 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: new album “Neigh!!” #43049
    Johnny_Heartfield
    Participant

Bent’s clearing words (see “missive from the mothership” thread) have convinced me to order “Neigh” right now, never mind the shipping costs, as it seems to be an exclusive/one-off vinyl release for an album planned origianlly as digially available only. I trust they will find ways to make future “regular” albums available in central Europe a little cheaper via local distribution and am already looking forward to the next aural adventure.
      (And somebody must have viewed my “Un chien de Kubrick” clip I made available here a few years earlier ;-) )

in reply to: A missive from The Mothership #43048
      Johnny_Heartfield
      Participant

“Psychonauts aren’t s’posed to be dumb. Go listen to Coldplay or something).” Haha! Great! (Even if i might dig my own hole here…)

in reply to: new album “Neigh!!” #43032
        Johnny_Heartfield
        Participant

I’m torn between solidarity with the band and the rather heavy price – 26 € is tolerable for a special vinyl edition, but another 11 € for postage – just over the border from Netherlands? In the end I will definitively buy the thing, but probably only after a while if there’s a cheaper black vinyl edition – or at the next concert’s merch stall.

in reply to: Erfurt / Bandhaus über Erfurt Festival/ 29.06.2024 #43026
          Johnny_Heartfield
          Participant

My first MP gig at daylight – and an exremely enjoyable one. Short in MP terms, but joyful, energetic – just a lot of fun this time. First time they managed to transport the “back to roots” vibe they started with “Yay” on tour.
            While Bent obviously paid tribute tot he heat at the end of the gig (head getting redder and redder), Ingvald laughed his head off during “All my life”. And please – someone keep Bent far away from that bass pedal next time ;-)

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2024 #42963
            Johnny_Heartfield
            Participant

Bad Taste Alert: As I have just learned, there is a Peter Maffay (!!) concert just below Petersberg citadel in Erfurt on the 29th. Though more likely to coincide with the Kadavar gig, MP should better reserve their acoustic tracks for the beginning of their gig.
              As for prime time: Let’s see, which acoustic rotten corpse wins the day loudnesswise ;-)

in reply to: Union scene, Drammen 14.10.22 #42930
              Johnny_Heartfield
              Participant

Certainly the band magick is full on on the trilogy. If it is due to Tomas’ growing decision to leave that KoO has a little less of that it is really regrettable that he was leaving.

Johnny_Heartfield
                Participant

Excellent idea! Unfavourably I’m still in Erfurt on Sunday, otherwise I would have joined you for Valkenburg!
                  Have a good gig!

in reply to: Union scene, Drammen 14.10.22 #42925
                  Johnny_Heartfield
                  Participant

Don’t judge Ingvald too early! He played a little cautious at the start of last year’s tour, but that’s only understandable, given that he had only a few days with the band to prepare after returning from another tour with Kanaan. But when I look at those recent Full Earth clips on youtube I’m very impressed and think he’s a full grown drummer in his own right and doesn’t have to fear comparisons with any other collegue.

in reply to: Union scene, Drammen 14.10.22 #42923
                    Johnny_Heartfield
                    Participant

With N.O.X. I’m not so certain – is it more electronics or real drumming in the climax piece? Probably both interchanging – but for me Tomas’ greatest moment on album is on the “Crucible” Title track, which he gives a Who-like start and drive throughout. And of course the latest RW live album…

in reply to: Union scene, Drammen 14.10.22 #42921
                      Johnny_Heartfield
                      Participant

@ hogw: Though I do mostly agree, 577 is NOT simple at all. Let me tell you this as a bass player – the rhythmic complexity doesn’t necessarily surface, but it both drives and fascinates at the same time!

in reply to: Union scene, Drammen 14.10.22 #42896
                        Johnny_Heartfield
                        Participant

Yep – Ingvald filled the gap brilliantly. So I don’t see any potential loss in gig quality. A regular drummer in the rehearsal room might however lack for developing new stunning material – we’ll see…

in reply to: 09.06.2024 – NO, Trondheim – Verkstedhallen #42876
                          Johnny_Heartfield
                          Participant

Great fun is probably the best we can expect this summer. No majestic tunes & jams this time. But fun.
                            I listened to some of MP’s single a-sides today and was quite surprised – already almost forgotten how good they are, especially Slow Phaseout. And Quick Fix of course.

in reply to: new album “Neigh!!” #42854
                            Johnny_Heartfield
                            Participant

Isn’t the Kneipp treatment famous for treading in shallow water? Not a good omen for Blissard 2.0! But neigh – it’s the horse cure, not the human treatment here – so hopefully MP will forcefully gallop into a glorious future (or a final sunrise, but let’s not hope that) ;-)

in reply to: New Music #42834
                              Johnny_Heartfield
                              Participant

@ suntripper: Loved the clip as well – and was duely quite disappointed by the gig last night. Absolutely NO spontaneitiy, NO improvisation – and it was announced as a JAZZ gig! Rather a fully composed post rock affair.
                                If you take real live music of Motorpsycho et al. and so many other bands from Norway it was probably like comparing Mike Oldfield’s “Tubular Bells” to a mid 70s Hawkwind or Gong concert. A little bit like late 80s Tangerine Dream with added Grateful Dead “Drums/Space” elements from the late 80s/early 90s. Not bad, but rather sterile.
                                And the bass player didn’t play a Rickenbacker, but a Fender (precision? jazz?) bass…

The clip you posted is really something different!

in reply to: New Music #42830
                                Johnny_Heartfield
                                Participant

Something completely different and not entirely new, except for me:

I’m gonna watch them tonight in Cologne. A Friend who can’t make it gave me the ticket. Sounds promising!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 546 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994