Grimr

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Black hole – no canvas #21724

OK. People don't have to like everything their favourite bands do. Nearly all my favourite artists have done something I'm not too keen on, but you've gotta respect them trying to do new things and not sticking to a formula. MP are no Status Quo! (No disrespect to Quo fans intended).

But what I love about MP is their innate sense of musicality. They are what I would call true 'musos'. They understand music in all its forms and can incorporate many of them into the things they do with success. They can make great sounding music which is varied, eclectic, but which is unmistakenly them, regardless of the styles or genres they are drawing from. That takes some doing, and its what I like most about them. There are many artists who would love to be able to produce music of the quality and variety that MP have over the years. I love Timothy's, Blissard, Trust Us et al, but Phanerothyme is one of my favourite MP albums ('Painting the Night Unreal' gets me every time!)

As for Unicorn…Genius? Not quite. It's a word when too easily used devalues things which truly are genius. But a great piece of music? I think so. And a worthy addition to the MP canon. It's very well written, very well performed, and it's definitely MP. It takes me on a great journey, and when I want to listen to Demon Box or LLM I can still slap them on my hi-fi and enjoy them as much as ever. Even if I didn't care so much for Unicorn, I wouldn't suddenly cast MP aside in disgust. I would love my favorite albums, and wait for the next MP offering, because if one thing's certain it will be different again!

And as for Unicorn performed live…well, live performance is a great leveller. I guess there won't be any orchestras or horn sections, and Staale is gonna have a hell of a lot to do, so this will be MP bare knuckled and in full flight. The London gig can't come soon enough.

in reply to: Black hole – no canvas #21704

BTW – For anyone who hasn't heard the album yet, they're Bent's lyrics from 'Through the Veil' :wink:

in reply to: Black hole – no canvas #21703

"I can never go back, I can never go back there…"

"I could never go back, I could never go back there…"

This is where they are now, and I for one, am enjoying the trip… 8)

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21281

Bent really is a great bass player. So underated. Just listen to his playing in 'The Hollow Lands'.

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21275

None of the songs have a standard verse/chorus/middle 8/verse/chorus structure. They are various musical sections which follow on from, and often contrast from each other. That's probably why nothing is too catchy or memorable on first listen.

A really strong finish with 'Mutiny' and 'Into the Mystic'. I feel like I've been swimming across a river. Some calm bits, some eddies and rapids, but overall I've been rather swept away. Think I'll have to jump in and swim it again.

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21274

@supernaut

yeah. It is like an overall soundtrack, as opposed to a bunch of catchy rock songs.

Definitely to be listened to as a whole, rather than dipping in and out of.

(Just finished 'Sharks' – great track!)

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21272

Part way through part two. Not so sure about 'La Lethe'. Bit over long and serves no real purpose as an audio exercise – perhaps would work as the soundtrack to something visual. The tenor solo is nice.

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21271

Just listened to the first half. Favorite track so far? 'Into the Gyre'. The first three minutes or so are just gorgeous, the middle section reminds me a bit of classic era Rush, then there's the frantic Snah guitar workout. Great stuff.

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21268

And my tickets for the London show have landed too!! This is a good day! :cheers:

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21267

The Unicorn has landed!! :D

in reply to: Avatar picture #20303

Hurrah! Thanks, GBD. Now I can inflict my ugly visage upon everyone!

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21158

Thanks for the translation, Supernaut. Spot on.

Bombastisch = bombastic. :wink:

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21149

I have listened to the snippets and have to say I am underwhelmed.

Can't wait for the album (pre-ordered from Stickman), and got my tickets booked for London, and I'm sure all will be well. But shouldn't have listened to the snippets!

:?

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21088

Anyone know when this can be pre-ordered?

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO – SPRING 2012 #20857

They've got to do something in the UK this year!!! Please?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994