Kongsberg Jazzfestival July 09 2011

Home Forums General Kongsberg Jazzfestival July 09 2011

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    otherdemon
    Participant

Setlist:

Arne (over 30 mins long! according to this review)

Diana

Starhammer

Hallucifuge

All is loneliness

Nothing to mount

Hush

Accordring to the reviewer it's one of the best concerts by Motorpsycho in Norway ever. Now THAT'S quite a statement to make.

kjesso
      Participant

Yes, quite a statement to make, especially when he gives the concert 5 out of 6. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I seem to recall some MP-shows that should be rated at least twice as high.

TAF
        Participant

1233645751843.jpg

cjacob
          Participant

Great gig….

This is from the Kongsberg jazz site..

http://www.kongsberg-jazzfestival.no/nyheter/motorpsycho-er-klare-for-tubaloon/

Great news in it..

Gig at the Opera in the Easter…

http://www.operaen.no/

And the Monolithic gig was insane…

Greetings..

supernaut
            Participant

well that Kongsberg pic surely is the best MP pic ever.

Tomcat
              Participant

:-)

Sad to say I don't agree with the review. First of the setlist: They opened with Bombproof roll… (Arne???) Indeed 30 minutes but unfortunately for me the jam was going nowhere. (I don't enjoy a jam just because it is a jam). And this, I felt was the case with much of the concert. A lot of jamming (cool!!!) but it got me bored very quickly as it all sounded the same. Also the setlist someone posted said "Nothing to mount". Can't remember hearing anything of Mountain (I had been looking forward to hearing it). And while I'm complaining: I don't really see what Stian brought to the table. Yes he looked very enthusiatic and into the music, but I really couldn't tell if/or what he was playing. He certainly didn't convince me that MP need a 2nd guitarist. On a positive note: things were very enjoyable from "all is loneliness" and onwards. Was really fun to hear "Nothing to say" live again. All in all: For me this was a 3 out of 6. But then again it's hard to follow the 6 out of 6 concert they did at Øya last year). BTW: Primus were excellent!!!!

fillmore
                Participant

What about "Mountain"? Anyone else can confirm it was omitted? A recording of this show would be very nice… :-)

manbitecat
                  Participant

I agree with Steve K here. The begining was cool but it got a bit boring after a while with the same jam over and over. From Loneliness it was exellent i'd give the show 4/6. I could not here anything from Mountain so i guess it must have been a very small part if there was anything at all. And yes, Primus was awesome.

Hej! Just back from a fantastic Kongsberg Jazz Festival. Already last years appearance at Molde Jazz and the ongoing collaboration with musicians from Supersilent, Jagga Jazzist, Puma etc. indicates a much wider interest in exploring NEW territory than many Motorpsycho fans are open for. I was totally thrilled when Stian Westerhus entered stage with Motorpsycho and for me that was the surprising moment of the festival and made the rather short gig a unique "one of a kind"? concert. And yes in order to enjoy such a surprising momentum one has to listen and let go of all expectations. Stian provided such an intense rhythmic structure and electric sound carpet for Snah to jam on. You could see how much Snah enjoyed that freedom and surprisingly he gave much solo space to Stian who filled in with his unique electric-terrifying guitar style. Stian also contributed vocal parts during All is loneliness and the lead vocals for Hush. One could compare Stians part with Deathprods electronics and I hope they will continue to work and even record together.

Nothing to say was clearly the highlight of the concert with excellent jamming and a very hard guitar part in the middle of the song. I like many of the covers which MP played during their concert history, but Hush!????! Maybe a attempt to warm up the crowd after the heavy rain during the second part of the show. By the way, norwegian crowd! Please don`t give em any beer no more. Like so many times during MP shows in Norway the crowd was very talk active and in a beer drinking party mood, which is realy distrubing when one tries to listen; specially during the jaming parts.

No mountain but I think I heard the bass-line of it in the beginning of Nothing to say.

What else to report? Kenneth took place at the left side of the stage which clearly helped to create a very tight rhythm section with Bent. I would actualy like to see him play more in the centre again.

Primus was great and I enjoyed to see them again after such a long time. But the Festival Highlight clearly was Monolithic. Jesus fucking christ what an energy. Stian and Kenneth sounded like a five piece grind core band with an abnormal tight sound. It was a pleasure to see Kenneth drumming and singing (screaming) at the same time. Their sound is pretty unique and at no time I was afraid that a riff, drum sound or song line would have been better placed in a Motorpsycho context. I hope a recording of both shows will pop up!

supernaut
                    Participant

while searching for some Primus material (haven't listened to them for 10 years maybe), I found "Les Claypool's Frog Brigade" doing Pink Floyd's Animal album!?! Now that's brilliant. Always respect broad minded musicians. There's obviously more to Les than crazy-a-slappin-a-about. :)

TraktorBass
                      Participant

"Arne" is indeed The Bomb-Proof Roll and Beyond (for Arnie Hassle), setlist is correct.

I would have loved to be there. Seems Stian has been playing "alot" with them lately, I hope this trend continues, it's always exciting and refreshing to hear Motorpsycho with 'guest artists'.

otherdemon
                        Participant

Some visual evidence :lol: . 15 minutes of Arnie Hassle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIcJa5zwQB4

Hi all,

I really enjoyed the gig. Magnificent stuff! The band was in a great mood and played almost non stop for 90 minutes. I had planned to record this gig, but unfortunately I forgot my recording equipment at home :oops: . From Bombproof to All is Loneliness it felt like one looong (very cool) jam session. The boys were in a great mood, smiling all the time and really enjoying them selves. Snah and Stian shared playing solos througout the gig. Stian was a great addition to the band IMO. Brought on some really nice "background sounds" and played cool solos that complemented Snahs guitarwork excellently. Here are some comments to the setlist:

Bombproof

Insanely great. Just the way I like it. Totally disagree with SteveK. This is one of my favourite MP live songs for the time being. It contains a lot of psychedelic elements and builds up really nicely. The intro to this specific performance of the song was MAGIC! A beautiful soundscape. The boys had altered a bit on the riff, playing to or three extra notes. Quite cool IMO.

Diana

What more can you ask for? Diana following Bombproof – a fantastic combo. Played with great intensity and the solos following the rythmic break were great.

Starhammer

Segued from Diana. Starhammer was also played at soundcheck.

Hallucifuge

Segued form Starhammer. Very intens and tight. Some very cool jams in this one. If i remeber correctly, Stian used a violin bow quite a lot here. Cool stuff!

All is loneliness

Very nice and quite like the RW4 version, but with some additional Westerhus solos of course…and four voices singing….

Nothing to mount

Very nice. Crowd pleaser with audience participation (the usual "singing of the chorus"). Very cool jamming. No "Mountain" that I could identify.

Hush

Vocals by Stian. Quite cool, but boring. Not what I had hoped for for a set ending song…

cheers

Gustav

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994