11.06.2014 Copehagen, Pumpehuset

Home Forums General 11.06.2014 Copehagen, Pumpehuset

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    The Other Anders
    Participant

There was a time 10-15 years ago when I would see whole MP tours and report back to this forum in painstaking detail. Then life happened, priorities changed, sacrifices were made, and over the last many years I have gradually gone back to being a "normal" fan who only sees one show per tour, and sometimes has to miss out completely if they don't play somewhere near my backyard. Fate had it though, that they would finally return to Copenhagen, the very last show of the tour, and five years since last time in the city where they played their first show ever outside of Norway back in 1991. I was not there back then, I didn't even live in Copenhagen back then, but I do now, and last night I was there. Here is my honest thoughts on the proceedings:

Well, first of all I was very happy to be able to see a show on this tour, so I was pretty much ready for anything. I had hoped for other songs, but wouldn't have missed what we got for the World. I didn't take notes (I was only there to suck it all in), and the setlists were gone by the time I went up to catch one, so I can only remember parts of it. Second of all: Fillmore had prepared me! I instantly recognized the new level he talked about. They have entered a level now where they open up their sound through technical brilliance and tightness, while at the same time they make it look easier than ever. It get's closer and closer to the Opeth experience. 10-15 years ago, when Øystein talked so much about Opeth (he used to travel to see them too), I didn't understand how he could dig these two – to my ears – very different bands. Now I do. Setlistwise, they started with the acoustic set, I entered the hall to the tones of Come On In, as they aparently started a few minutes earlier than announced. There was Sideway Spiral, Kill Some Day, Babylon, before Up/Down made a seamless transition from the acoustic set to the electric set. Probably the best Up/Down I have heard, anyway I was mighty impressed by the jam and the crescendo, as well as the diminuendo before the song ended just as fragile as it started. I had hoped for Loneliness, but Up/down probably did the same job, unless they have totally rearranged Lonelines, which is why I was hoping to hear it. Electric set continued with a few heavier songs, probably from the last record, I haven't listened enough to it yet to recognize the songs. On A Plate was a huge and positive surprise. It's up there with Nothing To Say, Mountain, et al. Somewhere in the middle of the set we got the Hell suite. All seven parts, a rollercoaster ride in prog, jazz, space, and ROCK. Like a mini Unicorn, with all the dead meat cut away. A new classic up there with Un Chien and LLM. I had hoped for Un Chien, but instead we got, in random order, Whip That Ghost (last song before Hell), there was the new version of Serpentine. Best version yet, but they still haven't cracked the verses. The chorus and the rest of it works like a dream. There was Sail On, solid and impressive because of the tighness and flow, but I would have preferred so may other songs to this one. Luckilly we got Starhammer towards the end of the main set. A thunderous version with a far out middle section. A highlight of the show. More songs where played, probably from the last record, I can't remember melodies or titles right now, can't even remember which song ended the main set. Encores where two acoustic ones; Feel and… eh… damn, can't remember. I actually thought we were cut short when they came back and started the encores with Feel. I thought to myself that this would of course make for a perfect end to the tour, bearing in mind that they have ended many nights before with a second encore of just one acoustic song. So my surprise and a happiness was big when they played not only one, but two acoustic songs, only for Kenneth to take place behind the drums once again and launch into Fool's gold. The extended version, as Tomcat has named it. The kind if version that lurks around in the corners before it builds up and explodes in one last, final testemony that we have experienced 2,5 hours together of both magic and wonder. The audience was sparse, yet dedicated. I guess only the diehards were there, as Iron Maiden was also in town this night. But the ca 150 people there were attentive, quiet during songs, broad smiles all aroud, and wild applause between the songs. A rare and life affirming experience in Wonderful Copenhagen.

Tomcat
      Participant

Man I am looking forward to meeting you again – thank you for the honest report, glad they came to Copenhagen so you could see them on this tour.

fillmore
        Participant

Thanks for the report, Anders :-)

mefisto
          Participant

A great report, Anders!

Having trouble with memory, or just getting old like me? :P

Seems like both Opeth/Motorpsycho are indeed turning into prog monsters, but MP are still interesting, Opeth seem to have wandered off into a more boring forest on their way…

Let's meet again next tour!

Ø

Last night was the first time I saw Motorpsycho and I don't think I've landed quite yet… Glad I took the day off from work today.

What a fucking band :)

supernaut
            Participant

somehow I envy everybody who sees them for the first time.

(of course if i was a noobie I'd envy everyone who's seen them a hundred times since the olde days)

Been waiting a long time for it :)

Anyone got the setlist by the way?

Thanks Anders! Great report! I do indeed all your detailed concert reports from years back.

It was indeed a great show..or I´d rather say epic. Having been a psychonaut since 2001 I've only been able to catch the band 4 times now. Twice in Copenhagen, at Bizarre festival and in Gothenburg. This time around was just as good as always. The sound was good as well…even though Reine was a bit hard to hear in the mix, especially in the beginning of the set…anyways fantastic concert, great jams, great everything.

The strange thing for me was that there wasn't many people around? but like the other anders pointed out probably many die hard fans. The way they entered the stage was fun…silent as ever..unnoticed by the majority of the crowd. There weren't many people up in the front and I was checking out Snahs pedal board, when I looked up he was suddenly standing there…

Thanks mp for a great night!

The Other Anders
              Participant

Tomcat: Thanks, looking forward to meeting you again too. Mefisto: Just getting old, I guess. Or at least in a different state of mind. Yes, hope we meet again next tour!

Oakej: Funny anecdote! Do we know each other?

the other anders: don't think so….you never know…

jtr
                Participant

sounds like a great concert! i would have loved to see them too this tour, but alas, it wasn't to be. the last time i've seen them was in 2008 in vienna (i'm austrian, but vienna is still 4 hours away from here), and this tour the closest they played was northern italy or switzerland.

but anders, i remember you from copenhagen 2006 and some other dates after that too. i remember us both having the same green mp sportsjackets that were being sold on that tour.

ah, good times. copenhagen is a pretty neat city, hope to be there again someday. and also , of course, see mp again. from all i read here, they are better than ever and still getting better even.

And the official report is here! http://motorpsycho.no/2014/06/european-tour-finale/

grindove
                  Participant

Amazing show! Despite the amount of, for me, non-favorite songs, this gig was fantastic! If only looking at the setlist, I'd say "disappointment", but I enjoyed every second of the concert.

Some pix (and a movie :oops: ) here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994