2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO

Home Forums General 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    toresan
    Participant

Ship of fools >

Taifun

Bartok

Cuckoo

Stg >

Lacuna

Dream home

Upstairs

Wheel

Plan #1

Manmower

The Tower

2:21

GBD
      Participant

Amazing!!! show!

shakti
        Participant

Ship

Taifun

Bartok

Cuckoo

STG

Lacuna

Dream Home

Up Down

Wheel

Plan #1

Manmower

Tower

2hrs 25

Did I miss any songs? The Wheel massive, all songs very well done, but overall average.

Punj Lizard
          Participant

Amazing setlist but not IMHO a great performance and affected greatly by it being way too loud.

EDIT: Based on others' comments I have to conclude that my initial assessment of the performance was probably unfair and that it was simply the volume that affected my appreciation of it.

toresan
            Participant

S.T.G. to the end had a lot of energy and great jams, but the sound in Union was unfortunately a bit too loud as mentioned already. Snah and Lars suffered from this the most. But despite the sound there is already quite the progression with this foursome when it comes to jamming and interesting interactions during the songs:

– the end jam of STG was pure bliss

– Lacuna transcended the Kolbotn-experience, great interactions

– dream home was massive

– wheel was very true to the record, but still one of the heaviest I've heard

– manmower and the tower were both playful and fun.

All in all very psychedelic, loud and fun, but I longed for the Kolbotn-sound many times.

That was as objective as I'm able to be right now, but now for the subjective part:

Wohoooo! Damn I had a lot of fun! Lots of spaced out great moments! I love these guys!

I really loved this concert. Vibes earplugs makes the loud sound perfect for my ears. Can be recommended. Why did I go to 40-50 Motorpsycho concerts without this kind of earplugs? Instead of destroyed head and ringing in the ears after concert I feel fine. Especially the Wheel was fantastic with earplugs.

Overall a spaced out concert. Dream Home was great. Still love this band after all this years. Looking forward to next concert already.

toresan
              Participant

Even with quality earplugs I struggled with the sound (though it was definitely a difference from the front to the back,and the sound improved somewhat during the show).

Nonetheless, a great show as already stated!

shakti
                Participant

I was up in the gallery on the left hand, and the sound was actually very good there. Not too loud either, I always use earplugs at Motorpsycho gigs but actually didn't use them this time. It didn't seem that loud up there.

When I say the gig was average that means it was still very good. Just didn't transcend to the next level. But the Tower songs were played very, very well. STG with Snah on the 12-string was interesting. Played faster than before, but the 12-string emphasized the folky(!) element of the song. Can't remember the last time I heard The Wheel live (Øya 2006?) so that was easily the highlight for me.

Lastly, one of my pet peeves; please, please don't make every song a jam song. It is not needed.

cjacob
                  Participant

Elephant9 blew me off the pitch tonight … They were very good … I was tired already after that concert .. Motorpsycho had very bad or too load sound where I stood. The highlight for me was Devil, Dream Home and Lars's Flute Solo .. Motorpsycho was a little disappointing for me.

The Other Anders
                    Participant

Yes, please do make every song a jam song.

cjacob: What is "Devil"? Is there a subtitle or a lyric to one of these songs I have forgotten?

Ratmaus
                      Participant

Try pronouncing Devil in Norwegian, Anders. :wink:

cjacob
                        Participant

The Wheel.

:D

The Other Anders
                          Participant

Hahaha :roll:

Punj Lizard
                            Participant

Further thought about the gig.

The sound for Elephant9 was perfect, and I was standing quite close for them. There was absolutely no need to turn it up so much when MP took the stage. It was so loud that at times I momentarily felt a loss of balance. But … I really should remember to take my earplugs to MP gigs and use them. I just avoid it because after years and years of going to gigs I am just not used to using them. I think maybe the performance was better then I felt simply because the sound did not allow me to hear properly.

I started the gig at the front left. My first chance to see Bent close up. That was incredible. After really getting my freak on during STG ( 😍🤪😳😲😀 ) I moved back to about 12th row. The sound was slightly better there. For the encore I headed up to the balcony, which was much easier on my ears.

Highlights for me were STG (yes, the outro was brilliant), Dream Home, The Wheel.

Next time I'll bring the earplugs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994