2018-11-11 Forum, Bielefeld

Home Forums General 2018-11-11 Forum, Bielefeld

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Punj Lizard
    Participant
      Quote:
      How funny life could be? For me the answer is: Bielefeld Forum 11/11/2018.

One of those few moments in life when you are completely "in there" for music and more.

Oh well…ok…might be from the Stack recorded…but y'know – just the usual poor quality.

Ha ha ha. I've been refreshing Dime all day …

Johnny_Heartfield
      Participant

Ha! While I was replacing LUX AETERNA in Kubrik's epic movie by the equally epic Chien de Cologne, MP just called one of their new songs Lux Aeterna (or is it just a lyric quote?) How funny is that?

https://motorpsycho.fix.no/comeonin/forums/topic.php?id=10650

supernaut
        Participant

Synchronicity. Weird but fun when it happens. For example I felt like watching The Prestige movie recently where Bowie has a small role. Doing so I realized I was wearing a Bowie shirt underneath, then went onto my balcony for a smoke and saw the Twin star constellation right in front of me in the sky and "twins" (supposedly, I have another theory there, just saying) are one of the main plot angles in said movie.

Johnny_Heartfield
          Participant

@ supernaut: You name it. Good old synchronicity. I have known the phenomenon for at least half of my life. Sometimes just an extension of our more unconscious thoughts in what we realize, sometimes outright spooky. Rationalists speak of "pure coincidence", believers try to find some meaning in it. I think it is something in between – with many different aspects.

Funny that it seems to happen more often in either psychedelic drug-induced or paranoid/mentally deranged states of consciousness. Some people say its an expression of a certain level / circuit of human consciousness that is beyond (or beneath) our every-day perception.

Spacebandit
            Participant

There might be something up soon on DIME. I strongly recommend NOT downloading that.

It sounds…so crappy…(hahaha). Ok, just a joke/poke/toke?

Probably my "Königs-Aufnahme". Don't think I could do better.

Sorry, I needed some time to "land" from outerspace graced with a monumental show

(none of the first seven songs are below the 10" mark) and the extra encore of 90+ min.

upstairs/downstairs the Forum. Big thanks to the Forum guys as well. Taperfriendly as you

would not imagine. Even got power supply. Woah. Tapers paradise!

Anything to complain? Well…maybe it was a westphalian sauna club towards the end of show.

But all that vanished within a few…miliseconds…

Punj Lizard
              Participant

@Spacebandit. Thanks so much. Can't wait. :cheers:

Blashyrkh
                Participant

Can someone upload it to motortrades? :)

Spacebandit
                  Participant

soon…takes a bit of time. should be good.

Share with everyone you love/like/trade or whatselse. But DO NOT SELL! –

otherdemon
                    Participant

Thx again SB for your recording efforts. You know it's appreciated :D

Well, my expectations for the album really rose after hearing the live version of Lux Aeterna!

Even if not as tightly played as could be (a world premiere after all), I have a feeling the studio version will be killer. Sounds more VDGG than Crimson though, IMHO (especially with that dissonant mid-section) but yeah, In The Court chorus.

Any opinions?

Punj Lizard
                      Participant

@spacebadit – Thanks again … seriously.

@otherdemon – I'm not really a VDGG fan so perhaps that's why my thoughts don't lean that way (and I'm not disagreeing with you), but to me it has 70s King Crimson written all over it – in a good way … a very good way. The musical language was very familiar from the word go. I was a bit worried that Bent's instagram messages about them going full-on prog might be an indication that they're heading in a direction that would be more technical and less soulful, but this one track has allayed my fears as it seems to have both that pastoral beauty and the discordant crunch found in the best Crimson material, but of course being infused with MP heart and soul (why on earth would I be even 'a bit worried' :D ). Love it. Can't wait for the album.

EDIT: I just listened to spacebandit's recording of Lux Aertana with the headphones on and … my jaw just hit the floor. :MPD:

otherdemon
                        Participant

@Punj Lizard: The reason I drew the VDGG comparison is because of Reine's mellotron in the beginning sounding like a saxophone (maybe this is the track on the album where Lars Horntveth plays?). And the sax would give a stronger VDGG feel overall.

Other than that, I agree about VDGG. They do have a unique identity and style of prog, but their chaotic, technical prog approach is quite demanding and does leave me often cold… But I do like selected tracks of theirs (especially from H To He, Pawn Hearts and Still Life) where they manage to pack some emotional punch 8)

Punj Lizard
                          Participant

@otherdemon – Interesting observation – I hadn't thought of sax but David Jackson's sax playing was quite different to Mel Collins' style as I recall (I only have a couple of VDGG albums – Godbluff and The Least We Can Do … – and rarely play them). You could be on to something!

I think it's mostly Hammill's voice that puts me off more than anything.

otherdemon
                            Participant

I agree that Peter Hammill's voice is an acquired taste. In some instances he can come off as annoying.

Love his lyrics, though. Nearly every other progger from that period wrote lyrics about fantasy worlds and la-dee-da. Hammill on the other hand wrote about human psyche and real-life subjects. I can relate more to that, to be honest.

Listening to Lux Aeterna. Eyes wet. How the fuck do they do it? Out of thin air, year in year out, but I guess this is some unparalleled shit, a whole new ball game. God bless'em. Thanks Spacebandit, you rule.

Punj Lizard
                              Participant

@otherdemon – That's funny and so true. For me it's nearly always the music first and that includes the musicality, texture and expression in the vocals rather than the lyrics. In some cases I don't really care about the lyrics at all.

Now, back to spacebandit's phenomenal recording of this Bielefeld gig – it's rare to hear an audience recording so good.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994