2018-11-14 Schüür, Luzern

Home Forums General 2018-11-14 Schüür, Luzern

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    supernaut
    Participant

Hallo! Sind Zürcher hier, die für die Rückfahrt einen Autositz frei haben? Ich kann als Dank dafür mein +1 auf der Gästeliste offerieren. :)

Oder wo schläft dort ein Jugendherbergeschlafsaal-unkompatibler Mensch zu vernünftigen Preisen?

pfnuesel
      Participant

20181114-225405.jpg

Wulf
        Participant

Bartok instead of Fools Gold as Encore

supernaut
          Participant

There's two kinds of MP shows. One of them being the great fun amazing intense ones. The other one, rarer by nature, is the out there one. The big one. The one that answers my question why I keep going to see them. This one was one of those. They don't really differ in playing or sound quality, I find these matters mostly on the same outstanding quality. For me the difference comes with the setlist. And look at this one!!! One fat big number follows another. Even without The Wheel and Starhamster from previous shows, it was still monolithic. Heartattac Mac almost got to Chien's extremes in its noise section, Cuckoo was heavy, August a blast (including Reine getting some lead guitar spot, too), Ship was nuts with sound changes (Bent brought along a mean fuzz pedal, both for bass and guitar), The Tower had a headspinning jam, PPP was graceful, Plan#1 is what it is and Taifun of course came as the extended RWV version, with double bass pedal rumbling by Bent and Snah simultaneously.

But the high point: Lux Aeterna! Holy smokes! Didn't some write it feels like fitting within The Tower's (the album) vibe? I'd say it would have been an amazing stand out track on TDDU! Jesus, these bold Crimson Court vocal harmonies and then that bass break down gear shifting into complete madness. Can't wait for the new album. Tomas has definitely arrived in the band if I may be so bold to state something like that from my outside consumer's point of view. I mean, they totally gelled. He's it, period. I got the impression he plays more wild and versatile by still being completely within the music than on last tour, where he was more of a "solid and reliable" drummer? But I might remember it wrong, having still been Kapstaded in my head back then… Anyways: YAY! to Tomas!

I'll see them again tomorrow and maybe Bern, too. Three in a row. But I don't even expect it to be the same massive behemoth like this one. Hmmm maybe Starhammer and The Wheel pop up again, though.

The Schüür venue btw is wonderful. Hope they liked it and will play there again, it's a great room, like a big shed's attic. Wooden and comfortable. The crowd was very attentive, first I thought there are way too few people waiting in and around but suddenly it was quite full. Surprisingly, considering they play three shows in a row almost within walking distance in this small country.

supernaut
            Participant

btw it was kind of short. 2h15min maybe? But absolutely perfect. There was no need for anything after Bartok. And I even got the last train ride home.

(speaking of walking distances…)

Kid A
              Participant

TomasIsTheStarhammer

The Other Anders
                Participant

Wow! Thanks for the report, and thanks to everyone sharing their experiences and thoughts here in the forum. It's appreciated.

I know what you mean about those out-there-shows. Although sometimes you can't even tell from the setlist, I agree that this one looks intense and "out there". Great to see The Tower not as the last song, I hope they keep playing it for a long time to come! The new song. All-time-favorite Heartattack Mac almost reaching Un Chien's extreme. I have had similar experiences with this song, like a mini Chien. PPP is always welcome, and then Bartok for the encore! What a way to go out! Did they do something extra to it? Longer mid-section? Alternative ending? Or was it just like a ton of bricks delivered to your doorstep at midnight? BAM, there you go. Goodnight! 8)

I envy the setlist with Year Zero, PPP and Taifun being personal favorites of mine. Nevertheless enjoyed the Erlangen concert very much. Have fun!

Punj Lizard
                  Participant

@supernaut – Listening to a couple of the recordings from this mini-tour (Bielefeld and Erlangen) I kinda know what you mean about Tomas. He sounds loose (in the good way), relaxed, confident, unencumbered. I'm really getting off on his playing on these recordings. I'm glad you had such a far out show. :)

supernaut
                    Participant

Anders

Quote:
                      BAM, there you go. Goodnight!

:lol:

I think so. Don't quite remember any extended jamming or improv in Bartok, so it probably was not very different than usual. Also the encore break lastet about 5 seconds. They probably were so energized they wanted to go back on stage immediately to rock out one more. Hence Bartok and no Fool's Gold I guess.

Anonymous

A review from a friend of mine. First mp show for her and it totally clicked.

Everyone into music knows..Music can give you everything. Hope, love, strenght..music can be an anchor and a last resort. I knew all that. But tonight I learnt that music can be so much more. I went to see Motorpsycho. I thought a great live show is what was waiting for me. But I was wrong. What awaited me was a complete rearrangement of every last molecule in my body and mind. I am reborn. I have seen tons of amazingly good shows. But this was a whole new level. I cried. A lot. Not out of sadness, but because I felt so liberated and understood and whole. I am not who I was before this Motorpsycho concert. I am changed, I am new. Enlightend. Reborn. If you should ever look for god.. I found something greater tonight.

otherdemon
                        Participant

@pj: So she liked it then? :lol:

Beautiful words! I'm pretty sure I felt something similar when I discovered

Timothy's Monster in the mid-90's. I just wasn't able to articulate it like that

back then.

And Triggerman > H.Mac > Plan #1 > Taifun looks like a fantastic row of songs!

supernaut
                          Participant

That's why I keep dragging friends along to see them for their first time because for me, like for the most of us, that first time is sadly way gone and it's an empathic illusion of some sort of being back there again, too.

Punj Lizard
                            Participant

@pj – Thanks for sharing. Wonderful.

marc
                              Participant

I absolutely agree with Tomas being an integral part of the band and that they already turned into a really strong unit! Listening to the recording, it is really impressive what he is doing. Still, neither Kenneth nor Tomas (so far) managed to master the "simple" beat. There is not the slightest bit of doubt about technical proficiency/musicality, but to add brilliance and soul to a simplistic, stupid motor-beat is something you probably cannot practice. A prime example being A.S.F.E.(admittedly a bit unfair with Tomas being new to the band). On record and also live, I think you could hear and see that Tomas doesn't know how to handle that silly fucking beat and it is all a bit drum machine-like :lol: Geb would be grooving/punching the shit out of it without unnecessary ornaments and just the right amount of variation and dynamics. If that approach somehow would make its way into Tomas' play every now and then, i would be really happy.

Sorry for that brief relapse to nostalgia. I am grateful for MP being the band they want to be.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994