2019-05-24 Schlachthof, Wiesbaden (DE)

Home Forums General 2019-05-24 Schlachthof, Wiesbaden (DE)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fillmore
    Participant

Really psyched for tonight! My first time at this venue. I heard the venue has a nice Biergarten. Is it open before doors, how do they handle it? Weather is friendly, so this could be a good place to meet. I am hoping for an acoustic set and a major "Is this still DREAMHOME?"-moment tonight :smoke: See you!

Johnny_Heartfield
      Participant

Tension is rising – also looking forward to tonight's gig. Some of my favourites were on the setlist in Hannover, so probably not tonight. But who knows – probably the first Chien instead? Or another fantastic You Lied – Hogwash – Black to Comm? Or something completeley different?

Sadly my time schedule is rather tight – arrive at Wiesbaden station around 19.30 – walk to Schlachthof 10 minutes, meet friend(s), search for good place front of stage left (my ears!!!).

Hopefully they start on time at 20.00 or shortly after – my train leaves at 23.38…

The other fool reference tonight – "Let's get some weed and listen to Xhol Caravan"?

(Krautrock band from Wiesbaden – recommended!)

Year 0

Triggerman

The Other Fool

The Tower

Blueberry Daydream

Stardust

The Crucible

Malibu

Greener

–> Eagles Son

–> Spin 3

Psychotzar

–> Hogwash

Schiff der Bekloppten

–> Feel

Lux

Punj Lizard
        Participant

Cool setlist. Hope you all had a great time tonight. Which of them were played acoustic?

Wulf
          Participant

Stardust and Blueberry

Punj Lizard
            Participant

Thanks, Wulf.

Tomcat
              Participant

It was Tomas' birthday today and they (with that in mind?) went into Jimi Hendrix' "Voodoo Child" within Hogwash. I mean REALLY?! Great night out – Schlachthof Wiesbaden: we'll meet again!

fillmore
                Participant

You know the band is in a good mood when they enter the stage with Bent's German intro "Hallo, wir sind MotorPsücho und ihr seid Wiesbaden!". And so our Norwegian heros proceed to perform a mighty fine concert, characterized by a mellow, psychedelic and patient vibe.

Assisted by a rather huge stage production and a comparatively moderate crowd of ca. 400 people we got a wide-screen, concert-DVD-like version of Motorpsycho in perfect sound with Reine way up in the mix — I have never heard him so well and prominent before. This made a huge difference for my experience as the focus was in the details and the interplay between the four. Starting with "Year Zero" they are already hitting all the peaks and it becomes clear this is a whole different band from the one I just saw a week ago: Devoted to quiet moments and detail of playing, taking it first all the way down to total quietness and from there VERY far out in every jam. And so we got outstanding versions of "Triggerman" and "Tower", the latter featuring THE jam of the night, a well articulated, uplifting, beautiful piece of wholly new music.

A lovely two song acoustic set refines the mellowy vibe. After "Blueberry Daydream" Bent announces it's Tomas birthday today, adding jokingly that's why they'll play more acoustic songs so he must not work on his birthday. The crowd and band then sing "Happy Birthday" for him. Another outstanding jam highlight is an almost 20 minute most epic reading of "Pacific Sonata", again with a far out psychedelia section of newly created music after the break. "Greener" is a huge sing-along before we enter the groove of "Eagles Son > Spin Spin Spin".

The mellow vibe however could only prevail until they unleash the fat and filthly combination of "Psychotzar > Hogwash > Voodoo Child (Slight Return) > Hogwash", another jammy, groovy highlight. An unusal three song encore rounds off this stunning concert and sends us home making plans for the fall already.

With two albums and two proper tours to support them 2019 turns out to be a year when you want to see as many gigs as possible in order to witness what Motorpsycho are up to these days :MPD:

Great King Rat
                  Participant

Thanks, fillmore, for the detailed and absorbing report! It seems indeed to have been a lot different from at least Hamburg, which I saw.

Johnny_Heartfield
                    Participant

Excellent gig – probably 8.5 out of 10 possible Motorpoints. Could have been 9 had not the sound turned to mud when they turned up the volume for "Crucible". Probably I was too close to stage P.A. once again – Bent's amp pointing almost directly at me. You know what you get…

I could have been warned when Bent introduced the double-neck guitars as true battleships: "Meet… Bismarck! And Tirpitz!"

Btw.: wasn't the Tirpitz sunk in Trondheim Fjord in WW2?

btw: Other Fool Reference was in fact Xhol Caravan this time – ha! didn't I tell you…

Even saw a guy with a huge "Xhol Xaravan" logo/sticker on the back of his jacket. Weird, but great!

The Other Anders
                      Participant

Just listening for the first time. Triggerman! Wow…

…and The Tower! Totally new improv.

Now Blueberry Daydream and Stardust. Got to love how they sprinkle this tour with the odd acoustic songs old and new, borrowed and blue…

Can't help but falling in love with this band. Again and again.

Quote:
                        Btw.: wasn't the Tirpitz sunk in Trondheim Fjord in WW2?

Further north, in Tromsø. Tirpitz and Bismarck were the largest battleships in the Kriegsmarine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994