21.04.22.Oslo

Home Forums General 21.04.22.Oslo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

The Wheel!

otherdemon
    Participant

2hrs 45mins

I think the setlist was:

Hell 1-3

Cosmoctopus

The Crucible

Cloudwalker

Like Chrome

LLM

Lacuna/Sunrise

United Debased

Starhammer

Plan #1

The Wheel

Fools Gold

Feel free to fill in blanks or correct errors.

Spacebandit
      Participant

Hamster>Plan>Wheel>Fool?

Are you kidding?

Häää? WTF, – so in german "schwer sowas zu begreifen"…VOLL TOLL.

boomer former helm
        Participant

Wow. How many surprises and how many true highlights in this set :cheers:

cloudhawker
          Participant

Good lord what a behemoth Motorpsycho is these days! And that Thomas fella! 8O

Highlights for me: Everything from LLM onwards. And The Crucible felt really pertinent, it is a song for the times we live in, it felt significant somehow.

The Other Anders
            Participant

As long as we don't end up with Plan #1 and Fools Gold becoming the last song(s) of every concert again. Here is two thoughts: Open with them, or ditch them for new stuff. Especially glad to see Lacuna/Sunrise in these sets, but why bring back Cloudwalker on an almost regular basis? It's far from their best.

Cloudwalker is in top 5 of MP tracks in Tidal. I think I can understand why.

suntripper
              Participant

From Michael Green – thanks – a nice Plan #1:

Always good when the lights synch so well with the music. How many (non-Motorpsycho) gigs have I been to where that is not the case?!

cloudhawker
                Participant

@The Other Anders: As I am only able to attend this one show it is not really a problem for me personally if Plan#1 & Fool's Gold are finishing off several shows, but I see your point! Judging from the variety in the setlists so far on this tour, I don't imagine this to be the case though. But if it happens? It's a pretty strong finish.

Devotional
                  Participant

The setlist is correct, @otherdemon. I'll try to share some thoughts about the concert, but it will probably end up adding more blanks than filling them. My head is still in the ozone.

The band wrote on Instagram that they would be on around 9:30pm, but actually took the stage 8:35. Hope not too many missed out because of this! How to describe the audience tonight? Polite and respectful (not a lot of talking during quiet bits), perhaps? But definitely not reserved. The evolution of headbanging hasn't come as far as most of the most progressive material here, so you can't expect a whole lot of movement, really. I enjoyed myself immensely on the middle of the floor downstairs.

The band were in a great mood from the get go – and it quickly became evident that Bent was in exceptional voice. Seriously, if you were there too – when was the last time you heard him soar like this? He nailed all the high notes with ease, and sounded pretty much amazing on everything. This was my first MP-show since 2019, and I was quite overcome with emotions when they started playing. I've missed that sound, and that experience so much. No earplugs for me, I wanted to take it all in. "Hell" has never made me cry before, but it did tonight. Pt. 3 had a really cool jam. "The Crucible" was heavy as fuck (I don't know how to put it more eloquently in my present state, sorry), and as @cloudhawker pointed out, felt sadly pertinent. For some reason, "Cosmoctopus"; a track I really like on record, is a bit of a blur for me looking back, although it definitely had some good and very intense moments. The mix took some time to get balanced, and Reine's guitar and keyboards seemed to be the most difficult to integrate, but when they hit the sweet spots, they were awesome. The drums were also fighting a bit with particularly the bass, which got better after a while. The sound was massive overall. Very physical, and just what the doctor ordered.

As with all MP-shows, just reading the menu doesn't reveal the ingredients. I'm not a fan of neither "Cloudwalker" nor "Like Chrome" on record, but these were solid, passionate versions that really elevated both songs beyond average.

The dynamics and elasticity of this band simply defies logic. This "Little Lucid Moments"-suite was a crazy, manic cat, with a mind-bending build-up/drum solo towards the end. Brilliant, super-energetic version, and I loved the twin guitars here.

Lacuna was really sweet and widescreen. By now the sound was great too, and the more mellow jamming felt almost four-dimensional at times, and speaking of tracks that are better live than on record: "The United Debased" was fantastic! As far as riff-rock goes, it doesn't get much more kick-ass than this. Debased Bloody Debased!

And "Starhammer"… The main body of the song was already the best version I've heard them do, but then they went into the faster/hamster/scooter-section, and holee… When Bent started that insanely fast groove, I thought to myself 'there is no way you're going to jam out over that tempo'. But of course I was wrong. They were really, really pushing it here, taking all sorts of chances. It was chaotic and overwhelming in the best possible sense.

By this point I knew that we would probably not get NOX'ed, and I was totally fine with that. There had been so many peak moments throughout the show that when Matt Burt filled the speakers followed by the most beautiful "Plan #1" ever, a brilliant night was rounded off in the most perfect way possible. Again, Bent's singing was just insanely good, and I loved Snah's tone here. I'm trying not to tear up just thinking about it.

Then everything went blank for me. I thought I was hallucinating, and turned around towards my friend, and just blurted out something along the lines of 'Is that…? It can't be. NOOO, there's no way… ' I know that I went home afterwards, and I went to bed, but I was still inside "The Wheel". And I still am. It was thunderous, magical, cathartic, beautiful… Talking about it feels a bit like trying to find a window into something that does exist, but I still can't fully bring myself to believe in. I just know that I was there inside it, and became part of it somehow. And after everything we've been through over the past two years, when Bent quietly and sincerely sang 'I still love you', it felt like a reconnecting of souls.

They came back for a "Fools Gold" that perhaps wasn't as good as the 2019-version, with Bent having some sort of bass-trouble – possibly the tuning, as he seemed to be browsing the frets a lot. Maybe he was still spaced out from "The Wheel". It didn't matter. It had a sort of damaged quality to it that made it a fitting closer to a mostly superb and frequently magical show.

I don't know what more to say really, just that I'm grateful, and that Motorpsycho are in many ways more important to me than ever. Looking forward to following the tour, and hope you all get to see them.

tkm
                    Participant

This is probably the best Motorpsycho gig at Rockefeller/Sentrum Scene I have seen in several years (I missed 2019). Audience was great but I don't understand why people feel the need to throw beer glasses in the air. Stupid behavior! Also some noise from people walking on empty plastic glasses from where I was (in front on the FOH). Never noticed that in gigs at Sentrum Scene/Rockefeller before.. Maybe it was just me not drinking yesterday :)

The Wheel was better at Blitz imo. But still fantastic yesterday!

Tomcat
                      Participant

Thank you for the reports – excitement and pre-happiness are rising :MPD:

trylleball
                        Participant

That setlist is one for the history books! Many highligts to choose from, but that Starhammer might just have been the best one I've witnessed – and that is saying a lot!

What a band :STG:

Be
                          Participant

Snah in the left side of the stage. Strange!

Tomcat
                            Participant

Guess it's because Bent is givin' Reine instructions here and there – it's been a while mp have been a fourpiece.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994