Cologne 06.11.

Home Forums General Cologne 06.11.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    boomer former helm
    Participant

hmm, hard to say. but definately not all clubs in germany are like that. now way. in berlin i felt a bit like you, facing the fact that it was sold out and so nearly impossible to move to the bar or more in the center to have a better sound. but hamburg was great. very nice club there, good sound and nice steps towards the bar. loved it. it was less crouded, but still a big audience.

starclub (beatpol) in dresden is a great club too. missed them last year there, but saw a lot of great shows in this club.

btw. the only thing i have to mention is that in northern germany (and holland) one can only buy small beer bottles. everywhere!!! it sucks, here in south eastern germany it would never happen in a live music club. but that is my proble, i know… :D

Great King Rat
      Participant

I agree with the criticism of Gebäude 9. It was my first concert there and I also think it’s too narrow and too long. Yet I still found the sound quite good, at least where I stood, just in front of the soundman.

There are really good venues for concerts in (northern) Germany, though: The Forum in Bielefeld is a nice place (and MP shows there are traditionally very good), one of the best venues imho is the Schlachthof in Bremen where I’ve seen the best MP concert ever (for me)! I haven’t been to Hamburg this tour but I know the Ãœbel&Gefährlich which is a great venue.

Concerning the crowd in Köln i agree with you, too. People were a lot chattier than in Bielefeld, and the fact that you had to get out to get drinks certainly didn’t help. I also thought it was overcrowded which was a pity! They could easily have sold double number of tickets, at least in Köln. I can see why they tend to play smaller clubs, usually you get a much more intimate atmosphere in smaller places. Yet, if that’s what they want they should opt for a different place than the Gebäude.

Un.Chien.d.Espace
        Participant

i heard that the guys from the gebäude 9 sold 100 tickets more than allowed….that’s the reason it was that packed…

RvL,

I hear you loud & clear. Originally I had planned on going to Koln after Haarlem but circumstances meant having to choose between Koln & Brussels and really it was no contest as soon as I learned the Gebaude 9 was sold out; I imagined it would be pretty much the kind of experience you described.

But Germany itself is a huge country with a tremendous array of clubs, from sweaty broken down broom closets with obstructed views and crap sound to nicer clubs with great views and brilliant acoustics, so no need to write off an entire country based on your less than fabulous Koln experience :-)

Last time I went to a show in Deventer at the B-huis it was great. It’s more of an old fashioned type of “youth center” like the Vera or Doornroosje, fewer and fewer of those around nowadays. Wide room/stage, so no worries about being jammed into an overcrowded long, narrow room. Sound was good. Can’t vouch for the smell; ever since the smoking ban took effect in clubs it’s like instead of smelling just one nasty odor (smoke) there are dozens of nasty odors to assault the senses (someone next to me in Haarlem smelled like a laundry hamper stuffed with dirty clothes). Oh well. Take a small piece of cloth, put a few drops of lavender or eucalyptus oil on it and keep it within close reach for huffing if the ambient stench gets too much :-)

Seriously, Burgerweeshuis next weekend? I’d say go for it.

You don’t sound like a grumpy old man, just a more discerning concertgoer, I can relate, definitely! 10 years ago a sold out Gebaude 9 would have been bliss, today it’s not appealing. C’est la vie. We’re lucky that we live within an easy train or car ride from various different motorvenues, though :MPD:

Hovmod
          Participant

Hehe – gigs in Holland are “abroad” too, mate.

My 2 Cents on this: I am living in Ruhrgebiet, I find my way to Cologne quite often, and Gebäude 9 is a favourite place since I prefer “alternative music” and smaller bands/places. Regarding motorpsycho, Cologne has the “Luxor” (former Prime Club) which they played in the earlier years, and the “Live Music Hall” which is far biger (1000++) and was clearly underfilled last time. Coming to the point: Gebäude 9 is quite a nice place when not overcrowded. And this is what goes with nearly any venue anywhere – keep the amount of visitors to maximum so people can still enjoy themselves. They obviously did not do so for mp this time, that is always a pain :( But I can recommand you coming over to Cologne again in May: the “Gloria” is a former cinema with steps/balconies going downwards towards the stage and I think this is one of thr greatest places in Cologne. It will be much more enjoyable!

Like King Rat mentioned – Schlachthof Bremen is pure magic… no need to be afraid of Germany’s people or venues in general (I witnessed great and not-so-great dutch crowds and venues; my Deventer tickets are on my desk and I hope for a nice personal tour final – hope for a “Tilburg”-audience rather than “Utrecht” if you know what I mean ;-)

Be
            Participant

I still can’t believe they did not play in bremen between Berlin and Hamburg!

Great King Rat
              Participant

Just what I think, Be! And it seems like Red Mosquito would have loved it as well, it’s such a great place for concerts! Next time back to the Schlachthof, MP! Please!

There were some MP posters in the Gedäude announcing a show in May 2010 in the Gloria! Anybody know that club? Is it any good?

i´ve never been there before, too.

gloria

I actually like the shabby style of Gebäude 9. It is certainly not what you would call cosy and also the relative length is unfavourable. Anyhow, so far I have only experienced fantastic gigs in there and MOTORPSYCHO was definetely one of the best! I even like it much better than other venues in Cologne, such as Live Music Hall (cold and unkind) and Paladium (annoying posts all over the place). However, the best MOTORPSYCHO gigs in this area I’ver ever experienced were the ones in zakk (Düsseldorf)!

In Gebäude 9 I was in the front and there it wasn’t actually particularly packed. Also the sound was pretty good, even though it wasn’t perfect. Looking forward to the gig in Gloria!

Holle
                Participant

I like gebäude 9 very much.

it is a pure rock club in an old plant.

these are my favourite places.

I saw some other’s concerts there and all were very good.

sound was realy good, where I stood.

it was packed, yes. to packed? don’t think so, it was sold out.

where I stood was enough space to move, dance ( I don’t dance on mp concerts,

but some other people around me)and to stand comfortably.

I stood in the 8,9 row.

but the crowd nerved sometimes.

a bit to much talking and to much rude persons their.

but the concert was awesome.

looking forward to the gloria gig, too.

(and of course to the schlachthof gig)

Hi RvL I think I understand what you trying to say.

Last saturday during the Mp gig at Brussels, it wasn’t easy either, people constantly going for drinks, chatting and the have to go for a piss because they have small “vesica urinalis” :roll:

Most of the times I enter a MP concert I go alone, let the magic come and that isn’t always easy, you’l have to be aware what kind of people you’re surrounded with, the less they talk the closer I get :lol:

may’be you’re also a bit saturated…20th MP gig, there ought to be special celebration for such things an announcement by Bent or something :wink:

my first motorpsycho gig, i was impressed, took two pictures with my mobilphone. my favourites this evening: 577, Year Zero, greener and the monster impressive version of Kill Devil Hills

Motorpsycho Gebäude 9 - 2

Motorpsycho Gebäude 9 - 1

Cologne 06.11 on Dime.

surftex
                  Participant

So, the recording is up on dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=275688&hit=1

It’s my first torrent. I hope it works.

I still think it was a great concert with perfect sound (in front of the soundboard).

The only annoying thing were the very talkative people around me.

Gebäude 9 is my favourite venue for concerts in Cologne. In my opinion it was not overcrowded. Friends of mine had no problems to walked through the crowd and enjoyed the second half of the concert in front of the stage. I also had no problems to buy a beer and get back to my place.

Maybe it doesn’t look nice inside, but the sound is always good and the stuff are very friendly.

Hope you all enjoy the recording.

If someone wants to do a remastering please contact me for the original file.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994