Grünspan, Hamburg, 27.6.2015

Home Forums Setlists Grünspan, Hamburg, 27.6.2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Year Zero

Forget it

Augusto

Hell 1-3

Through the Veil

Entropy

Fool's Gold

Waiting Game

On a Plate

Serpendoom

Sail on

You lied

Starhammer

> Hallucifuge

> All is Lonelieness

Vortex Surfer

Great King Rat
    Participant

Just back from Hamburg. All in all, a good show. Last one I saw was in Bremen a year ago. Back then I was surprised by how tight and straightforward they played, I had never seen them like that. They've kept this tightness but there was a good deal of jamming again, starting with the end of Year Zero that saw a monstrous (though not too long) jam with Kenneth going berserk. Fantastic opener. The choice of songs following was ok but didn't completely thrill me. The more recent songs just don't touch me the way the ones from the '90s do. Also, I've attended MP shows that offered more new or rarely played stuff; Sail on seems (to me) the only song they ever play from BHBC in recent years, Serpendoom has been on board the last tour and You lied… well, it's a classic and I enjoyed it a lot again but I wouldn't mind at all hearing sth else from AADAP instead…

However, it was a good show with a great (though again: proven and tested) finish: All is loneliness ended the main part of the show with Bent and Snah conducting the audience singing the chorus over and over again (which I've also seen two years ago at Krach am Bach-Festival; a new tradition when AIL closes the set?). The crowd kept singing it during the short pause and were still on it when the guys re-entered the stage, that was quite cool. Bent took over again and brought it to a halt so they could perform VS. Which they did absolutely on spot, as always when I was there, I guess it's just one of the best songs ever to end a show with.

So, yeah, good show, quite enjoyable, very solid. But I've got a feeling that I know what to expect from MP-shows these days – and I've never thought THAT could ever happen!

Awesome show, guys! :MPD:

All Is Lonelieness –> crowd kept on singing –> Vortex Surfer blew me away

Thank you for the great experience.

:cheers:

:STG:

Tomcat
      Participant

"But I've got a feeling that I know what to expect from MP-shows these days – and I've never thought THAT could ever happen!"

I wanna second that. But:

New album, new (full) setup, new surprises – looking forward to that :-)

Be
        Participant

I completely agree with Great King Rat. New songs are not bad, but I have been visiting MP shows since 1995 or so and back then I was much more overwhelmed by their shows. For me Sail On and U Lied were nice, because I really love their shorter and catchier songs a lot.

To me the jamming is at times almost a bit generic (Kenneth being all over the place, Snah noodeling away), e.g. from Hell through to Entropy it felt a bit like one song, especially because the vocals were very low in the mix where I was standing.

For my taste a show like Hamburg 2013 fits much better. Back then the Blissard songs shone like diamonds and added diversity to the jammy parts.

And I am glad, that Vortex Surfer still gives me goosebumps even in the 40 degree surrounding up in the balcony.

Spacebandit
          Participant

Well, back again, too. Marvellous show (at least on the tape). What I read before is just

"complaining on a high level". I think it was a great show with some surprises (Like the

Hell->Whale) but somehow I can't hear Waiting Game on the tape…Maybe I'm just a fool,

but after a 14 min. Fools gold they went straight into On a Plate. And I never left my

first row place beneath Snah's feet. Now it's your turn. The recording will be up on Dime

in a few hours, so just compare and listen to what me and the mics did yesterday evening.

If there's one thing I'm sure: "There's nothing like a Grateful Dead show". But a MP experience

comes very close…

Great King Rat
            Participant

I don't remember Waiting game being played either, maybe they left it out…

@Spacebandit: I didn't mean to sound ungrateful earlier. I've seen so many brilliant MP-shows for which I'll be thankful forever. And I've written according reports on those shows. But I also can't ignore how I feel during and after a show. Also, I don't think I was complaining, it's not like I said, this and that was crap, please do it differently, I wrote I wouldn't mind hearing sth else, which is a different thing, I believe. In the '90s and 2000s they've really raised the bar in terms of variety, innovation and surprise, and that's probably what pushed my expectations up, too… Well, maybe first and foremost, it's a matter of taste.

@Be: I was up on the balcony, too, and it was indeed very hot, so I went out twice to catch some fresh air, which I normally don't do. However, one of the bouncers said, it was still ok, sometimes when it's really hot outside, it's apparently dripping from the ceiling. :D

@Tomcat: I guess you're right there. Now that you point it out, I remember Bent saying sth like It's only the three of us, we don't have keyboards or other stuff, so that's how it looks and sounds like tonight.

boomer former helm
              Participant

@spacebandit: thanks again for the recording. i am looking forward to hearing it :-)

They definitely played Waiting Game. Maybe in a different order than I posted it right after the show…

Be
                Participant

"we all tend to overplay anyway"

Even Bent says it! 😊

otherdemon
                  Participant

Thanks a lot for the recording, Spacebandit!

The live version of The Waiting Game is simply superior to the COTF one!

boomer former helm
                    Participant

I like it very much too

Great King Rat
                      Participant

Btw, among a few old albums (f.ex. AADAP & Blizzard, both coloured vinyl) they were selling EN KONSERT FOR FOLK FLEST containing 2 LP, CD and DVD, apparently the thing is limited to 2000 hand-numbered pieces. I got no. 1723, so if they're selling them in order (no idea if that's likely or not), there a still a few left!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994