Jaga Jazzist – Royal Festival Hall, London, 2017.11.19

Home Forums General Jaga Jazzist – Royal Festival Hall, London, 2017.11.19

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

Having been blown away by my first Motorpsycho concert (London, 3 weeks ago), and then sent stratosphere bound by the second (Köln, 1 week ago), I now have a MP-related gig of a very different kind coming up: Jaga Jazzist at the Royal Festival Hall in London. I'm not familiar with their music beyond having watched a few YouTube videos and listened to one or two albums on Spotify. It all looked and sounded very jazz-trippy so I'm looking forward to an immersive experience this Sunday. :D

Tomcat
      Participant

Wow, at Royal Albert Hall!

They are creating a cosmos of their own, breathtaking and mindlowing – so many musicians onstage and things to watch and hear – at the same time you might like to close your eyes and just let yourself be lifted up direction space: enjoy the concert lucky you ;-)

marc
        Participant

Have fun! They are a blast live. I got into them with their 2006 release "what we must". i think it is their most rock-sounding album. Lots of guitars, psychedelic and organic. The last album is also very good.

Punj Lizard
          Participant

@Tomcat РActually it's the Royal Festival Hall Рdifferent venue, but one of very high repute indeed. I will defintiely be doing some eyes-closed sound surfing, which is a pretty normal state for me at most gigs. I spent much of the K̦ln gig with eyes shut! Just listening to the recording of that gig now Рwow, I almost can't believe I was there! (BTW Рare you on Facebook?).

@marc – Thanks. Really looking forward to it. And I'll be in the company of my London/UK MP friends. :D

Tomcat
            Participant

Ah, I see – Royal sounds just right anyway ;-) Will check your adress, be careful btw that you don't get spammed posting it I full in a public forum ( I think bots can grab it).

Punj Lizard
              Participant

@Tomcat – Good point. email address deleted. I just wasn't sure how else to do it as there's no PM system here on this forum. :(

kjesso
                Participant

Punj Lizard -> just use a ¤ instead of @. Most of us here are bright enough to know what to do.

And enjoy the Jaga concert. They are a marvellous, marvellous band.

ThorEgil
                  Participant

[img]https://i0.wp.com/thoregilphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ThorEgilLeirtr%C3%B8-Jaga-12-.jpg?fit=800%2C767[/img]

You really have something to look forward to! One of my favourite bands, and I have been lucky enough to see them twice this year. At Molde Jazz Festival with Pat Metheny, some more pics here to give you an idea about what you will see if you open your eyes ;)

And also at the Pstereo festival in Trondheim where I spent the whole concert on the stage behind the band – some pics here. Quite an experience!

Wow, now I'm envious! Jaga Jazzist and Pat Metheny! How did they sound together?

Like Motorpsycho Jaga moves a lot of air during their concerts. Have heard them last december in Dortmund.

Punj Lizard
                    Participant

Thanks everyone. Looks and sounds like it should be quite the experience.

ThorEgil
                      Participant

Jaga and Pat Metheny were great. They played several of his tunes, so it was quite a treat. But everything nevertheless sounded very much like Jaga.

He also played two concerts with acoustic groups. His patented "closed in a box" guitar sound didn't work that well together with acoustic instruments in my ears.

Punj Lizard
                        Participant

Well … this was a great gig. I had only heard Starfire a couple of times and maybe one other album before the gig, so most of it was basically unknown to me. I attended in the company of the three friends who got me into MP, and all four of us thoroughy got off. The gig was held in an auditorium which is generally used for 'serious' music and the sound quality was basically as good as it gets. However, as the final gig in the 2017 EFG London Jazz Festival, a lot of people left during the first two songs, seemingly unaware of what they had let themselves in for.

Opening for JJ was Sinikka Langeland, also from Norway. Her beautiful music came across to me, in parts, like a genteel, folk Magma. It was mesmerising and gorgeous, with the band and singers performing with brilliance and feeling.

An excellent review here: https://www.ft.com/content/dda23d3a-cddd-11e7-947e-f1ea5435bcc7

Similar was true last december when JJ played the final gig of the Dortmund Jazz Festival. Maybe most of the jazz afficionados were a bit tired after a week of concerts. Crowd could have been a bit larger. But the ones that attended were quite enthusiastic!

BTW opening last year were the two guys from "Aiming for Enrike". They played not on the stage but on the floor surrounded by the audience. Also quite an experience

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994