Leipzig Conne Island 16.10.2019

Home Forums General Leipzig Conne Island 16.10.2019

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Juergen
    Participant

The Crucible

Upstairs/Downstairs

Ãœberpilgrim

Dream Home

Granny Takes A Trip

August

Mountain

On My pillow (semi acoustic)

Mad Sun (acoustic)

Feel

Starhammer

For Mad Men Only

Psychotzar

Bonny Lee

You Lied

The Tower

Fool's Gold

3 hours 5 minutes

dongonz
      Participant

Well well well… hm… I am not sure about this concert.

They started brilliant with Crucible, Up/Down, Ãœberpilgrim.

Than came Dream Home… for me not the best live song and the first one tonight when i got bored by the two guitar freak out sustain shreddering with Snah and Reine.

Granny was cool but the the vocals… well the vocals. ^^

August was reaaly the best Version I saw so far. Very jazzy. BTW.. there were many nice jazzy parts tonight. Liked that.

Than it was Mountain and for me it didn't worked at all tonigth. Again endless two guitar shreddings and somehow it felt a bit out of tune sometimes (but this also could have been my ears hurting from the shredding).

Pillow, Mad Sun, Feel – very nice, I loved it.

Than Starhammer. I also liked it because of the jazzy parts.

Die Mad Man OnlY was new for me. … Reine – the best singer in the Band? What do you think? ;)

Ptzar – to much shredding in the middle part.

Bonny… don't know

You Lied – like always :) tight!

Tower – shredding… they can do much better versions of this one imo!

Fools Gold – like many times befor, epic song for the end of the concert

So.. over all, more yay than nay but not the concert I liked most. Maybe I've seen to many MP Concerts and I am to critical by now.. I don't know.

Reine: more noticable member of the band tonight then ever. Not sure if I do like that. At the keys and when he plays solo than it's cool. When he freaks out together with Snah than it bores me fast. (just my opinion)

Snah: Damn he is such a good musicion… but why he shreds soo much while he could give the song so much more content when playing distinguishable lines

Bent: no complains :D great playing, good singing. Yay :D

Thomas: tonight for me the best guy on stage! tight, jazzy, cool!

I know there were many who really liked the concert tonight a lot! So.. this was just my opinion :)

JERO
        Participant

@dongonz; although I'm having a blast with the setlists of this tour, and think that playing a 3 hour gig this intense when you are age 50 is truly olympic, You put into words the doubt I experienced at Paradiso Amsterdam…I mean the weak points of the shredding guitars instead of the melodic guitars (not bad in it's own right but maybe a bit much these days) and, alas, that thing about the vocals. I love the voices of Bent & Snah, but in concert they sometimes make your toenails curl up. Maybe the volume on stage is the problem, I don't know. They sang audible and in tune some other gigs I attended or watched. I love the jazzy parts too, a lot. Hengelo & Den Haag coming up, preparing to get shredded twice again!

Tomcat
          Participant

Lots of magic in there tonight, still buzzing…

Juergen
            Participant

The good news: This concert was recorded by a radio station (Deutschlandradio) for a future broadcast! The Program is called "Deutschlandradio on stage".

They will broadcast on Friday 18th of October (tomorrow!) Spidergawd's concert in Leipzig on March 27th 2019.

https://www.phonostar.de/radio/hardrock-zeitreise-unter-stuck-die-norwegische-band-spidergawd/v/151935/2019-10-18

We will probably have to wait for a broadcast a few months. Better late than never!

The last comprehensive radio broadcasts were aired in 2002 (Stockholm October 2002). A short one (only three songs) was aired in 2006 (Haldern Festival in August 2006). I can't remember a Radio broadcast after 2006.

fillmore
              Participant

A fantastic and mindblowing night at Conne Island! In what might have been my first genuine 3h show the band was on fire throughout, despite Tomas being sick. And though this concert didn't feature an outstanding long jam highlight like the 2017 Conne Island "Lacuna/Sunrise" or the 2010 Conne Island "Arne H" (both of course immortalized on "Roadworks") everything was performed with precision, consistency and a lot of extra sauce.

The improvisational highlights: It took them almost an hour before they would first cover uncharted territory with a very unusal jam on "August", taking it down and getting quiet all the way. Next up was a "Mountain"-jam the way I have never heard it before, effortlessly slipping into "PPP"-like sounds for a while before resuming and then they also extended the final bang. Wow! My notes simply say "THIS MOUNTAIN!!!". The next jam highlight was a stellar, intergalactic version of "Starhammer" and finally a sick Crimson-esque excursion in "Tower".

Other highlights included "Granny", a nasty "Bonny Lee", the oddly placed but rocking "For Madmen Only", a rearranged acoustic "On My Pillow" and an emotional and überepic ending with "Fool's Gold".

The sound was fantastic. The band played with precision, even in the shredding parts, which I loved. Though loud, but not too loud, the sound and show was less of an onslaught as some of the sets that I caught in the spring.

Many traveling fans in attendance, a very quiet audience, lots of tapers and a radio truck. Conne Island remains a treat! Thank you Leipzig and Motorpsycho.

See you in Berlin tonight!

dongonz
                Participant

Last time in Leipzig there were 'Songs for everyone'… These days it's 'For Madman only'. Next time maybe 'For Madams only'. :D well hopyfully not just 'Four Madams only'

TAF
                  Participant

@Juergen: Wasn't the 2011 Zappanale streamed live? And, more philosophically: does internet radio count as radio? :P

supernaut
                    Participant

@Jürgen

are you following Deutschlandradio regularly? would you be so kind to give us a reminder as soon as it's announced? :)

boomer former helm
                      Participant

My 2 cents: Incredibly good sound (i felt like standing in front of a giant high end stereo), great quiet and respectful crowd and unbelieveable jam highlights (darkstar anyone?). Especially during august, starhammer and tower. My personal highlights were the best dreamhome version by far (imho) and the unexpected madmen.

Juergen
                        Participant

Of course I will remind the broadcast (hopefull more than one broadcast).

@ TAF. Yes, the Zappanale 2012 was a webcast. I think there is still a difference in the sound of a webcast recording and a radio broadcaat but I might be wrong. It would be nice to hear the difference.

At least, the radio station put a lot of efforts in recording the concert. It was a truck with a mobile studio. According to the staff every Instrument was recorded on a different track. The concert recording will be mixed in the future.

Ercarnar
                          Participant

Oh, I miss a good Starhammer so much ♡ last time I heard it was during the "Behind the Sun" tour

supernaut
                            Participant

smells like roadwork!

nicoot
                              Participant

@supernaut That'd be a 5LP box set at least, but hey why not! :D

suntripper
                                Participant

@dongonz @JERO – See my comments on Motorpsycho autotuning their vocals?? thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5WsJJmbizA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGfyz99n2rg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994