MP Poll 2012: THE RESULTS!

Home Forums General MP Poll 2012: THE RESULTS!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

BEST COVER

The simple fact of having 22 different releases voted here gives an idea of MP's huge production!

The results are, uh, surprising?

Not sure, gotta admit that my estethic sense is equal to zero, so I've had my problems in saying which cover is the best… but you didn't, and the chart talks clearly.

Of 22 choices, only 13 reached 2 votes:

2 VOTES:

Angels and Daemons at Play

Demon Box

It's a Love Cult

Let Them Eat Cake

Little Lucid Moments

Soothe (Steel Box!)

3 VOTES:

Black Holes / Blank Canvas

The Death Defying Unicorn

Phanerothyme

Then, we have a huge gap to the top 4 positions:

4th position, with 8 votes:

BLISSARD

3rd position, with 9 votes:

TRUST US

2nd position, with 12 votes:

HEAVY METAL FRUIT (!)

AND THE WINNER, QUITE OBVIOUSLY IS:

TIMOTHY'S MONSTER (with 14 votes)

Nobody specified it, but I suppose everyone refers to the 3LP box and not to the CD version… Anyway, great exploit for the Heavy Metal Fruit, that actually has a very good cover which even contended the top position to the Monster! Surprisingly poor result for AADAP and Demon Box…

BEST NON-ALBUM

OK, some debate here about how to consider Child of the Future. I imposed my vision, and it became a non-album! Also, there would have been debate on the Roadworks too, but maybe I made my division between album and non-album too fast…

Well, we have a result anyway! 18 non-albums were voted here:

1 VOTE for 8 soothing Songs for Rut (uh, shouldn't it be an album? Oh well, not very revelant after all!), Haircuts, Roadwork III (or should they be together?), Into the Sun, Soothe, the Visitant Single, The Tussler (and this is a big surprise! I thought it would have won this one!)

2 votes to Barracuda and Manmower EP

4 votes to Ozone and Wearing yr Smell EP

5 votes to Mountain and Serpentine EP (Serpentine with the same votes of Mountain? Uh!)

4th Position ex-Aequo (6 votes)

ANOTHER UGLY EP

THE NERVE TATTO EP

3rd Position (7 votes)

IN THE FISHTANK

2nd position (9 votes)

STARMELT EP

AND THE WINNER IS…..

CHILD OF THE FUTURE with 12 VOTES!

I'm very surprised, and of course repented of letting the Child out of the albums :)

Infact, I think that, EXCEPT for the first position, the chart reflects my taste!

Child of the Future is good but DOESNT CONTAIN neither Wishing Well nor Flick of the Wrist!

OK, and now only the two main polls remain, just like "Best movie" and "Best director" at Hollywood!

Stay tuned…

BEST ALBUM!

Here we go! You had to choose 3 albums out of 16, and you all made your choices, so that we had a total of 75 votes.

Only 3 albums received 0 votes. No surprises, they are the podium of the WORST album poll:

Lobotomizer

Roadwork II

It's a Love Cult

1 vote:

Roadwork I

Roadwork IV

Black Holes / Blank Canvas (OK, we don't love it!)

2 votes:

Let Them Eat Cake

3 votes:

Heavy Metal Fruit (great cover, not great contents apparently!)

4 votes:

Phanerothyme (6 total votes for the 3 pop albums)

5 votes:

Little Lucid Moments

6 votes:

The Death Defying Unicorn (Hype effect or real value?)

Well, only 5 albums remain, and you all know which albums they are, don't you? So, we only have to sort them in order:

7 VOTES (Ex-aequo 4th position)

Angels and Daemons at Play

Demon Box (this album has lost some appeal in the last 10 years I think… young generations who don't love grind/grunge?)

Bronze Medal (8 Votes)

BLISSARD (despite the vote taken in the "worst" list)

Silver Medal (11 Votes)

TRUST US

AND THE WINNER IS…..

TIMOTHY'S MONSTER with 19 VOTES!!!!

Almost double the votes of the 2nd! 19 people out of 25 voted for the Monster which still remains the favourite MP album ever, as it was ten years ago.

Trust Us, in the years, has surclassed AADAP and Blissard, and I can only agree to this. Actually, Trust Us is MY favourite album, but the order of this poll is really satisfactory!

So Timothy's Monster triumphs as best cover AND best album. Couldn't do better than this

LET'S GO WITH THE FINAL POLL!

BEST SONG !!!

Yes, the final and mot-awaited poll is here. Hope you have ade your bets on the winner…

I want to publish ALL the songs voted, even though they are 86!

Let's start with the 35 songs that only got one vote:

B.S.

Beautiful Sister

Big Surprise

Birds

Blueberry Daydream

Devil Dog

Dr. Hoffmann's Bicycle

Fools Gold

Greener

Have Fun

How Was I to Know

In the Family

Into the Mystic

Kill Devil Hills

leave It Like That

Like Always

President Block

Serpentine

She Left on the Sunship

She Used to Be a Twin

Sideway Spiral

Sister Confusion

Sunchild

Sungravy

The 29th Bulletin

The Ballad of Pat & Put

The One Who Went Away

This Otherness

Timothy's Monster

Triggerman

With Trixene bla bla

True Middle

W.B.A.T.

Whip that Ghost

X-3

(Surprised by Greener having only 1 vote!)

17 songs received 2 votes. They are:

Feedtime

Feel

Giftland (?)

Junior (?!?)

Lighthouse Keeper

Mountain (!)

Nothing to Say

Ozone

Psychonaut (O_O)

Riding the Tiger

Stained Glass

Starhammer

Starmelt / Lovelight

The Ocean in Her Eye

The Other Fool

The Slow Phaseout

Ueberwagner

(I suppose you understood which songs are underrated in my opinion here)

10 songs with 3 votes:

30 / 30

Before the Flood

Cornucopia

Heartattack Mac

Manmower

Painting the Night Unreal

Radiator Freak (!!!)

The Nerve Tattoo

Through the Veil

Walking on the Water

7 songs received 4 votes:

Demon Box

Drug Thing

Flick of the Wrist

Hey Jane

Hogwash

Mutiny!

Wishing Well

7 more songs with 5 votes, then we'll reach top 10!

Gullible's Travails

Kill Some Day

Sonic Teenage Guinevere (argh!)

Suite: Little Lucid Moments

Un Chien d'Espace (ARGH!!!) What were you thinking about while you were voting?? ;)

Wearing yr Smell

Year Zero

And the TOP TEN here (while I'm still astonished that STG and Un Chien didn't make it!)

8th position ex aequo (6 votes)

The Alchemyst

Watersound

4th position ex aequo (7 votes)

Mad Sun

Plan # 1

Sinful, Wind-Borne

The Wheel

THE PODIUM:

Bronze medal (9 votes)

TAIFUN

Silver Medal (12 votes)

VORTEX SURFER

Gold Medal (18 votes)

…………

hehe, I won't tell, and anyway you all know!

A hint: it's not from "IT'S A LOVE CULT"!

Oh, ok, of course the winner is, again, THE GOLDEN CORE, as it was ten years ago, and it completes the Timothy's Monster triumph, which wins as best album and as best song.

No surprises for the winner, the big surprise is TAIFUN on 3rd position, more than the Wheel and more than some masterpieces which were actually underestimated here. Un Chien, STG, Giftland, Demon Box, Psychonaut…

Another proof of the scarce loce for the Baard times is that no songs from that trilogy got more than 3 votes (25th position!), while the Kenneth era is more considered (The Alchemyst with 6 votes, in top10). Lobotomizer is more or less lobotomized, with the exception of Hogwash; No songs from AADAP made it to the top 10! Blissard and Demon Box have one each (SWB and Plan # 1) while there are 3 songs from Timothy's Monster and Trust Us, reflecting quite exactly the albums poll. The best song from EPs is Mad Sun, in a great 4th position, though ex-aequo.

OK, that's it… quite late here, I suppose the second Trondheim concert is going to an end, and want to see some comments.

Please, fill this thread with your comments!

Good night!

wow, BronYAur! thank you for all the work! it´s really interessting to see what other people think.

have to read it few more times.

Sjur577
    Participant

I had already forgotten what I had voted for, so I had to look up the e-mail I sent you:)

While there aren't too many surprises, I had thought there were more than me who held the lyrics from Trapdoor in high regard.

I'm honored to get the best vote as well!(Motorhead Mama)

All in all, great initiative and good job! Let's do this again when the boys have released a couple more albums!

supernaut
      Participant

wow, it really puzzles how many times I disagree with the results… 8O

Walking on the Water best bass? Well it's a jumpy, upfront bassline but my picks were Cornucopia, A Shrug and a Fistful and of course the übermighty Mutiny. Actually I should have picked She left on the Sunship. I always have this one ringing in my head… and love to play it myself.

Ah but best drumming for LLM, yes absolutely! :)

Composite Head as worst song, there I'm pretty much in line with you all. But the raunchyness and the superb chorus and the Pagey solo in Diana? The beauty and subtlety of the Mirror? The restrained and abbreviated build up in Close Your Eyes as if it was a knowing nod from and to the band's mastery in just that?

Worst Album, well yeah they're impossible to pickup so one is tempted to go for the odd ones like RW2. But I didn't, I took Blissard instead. Because I can't critize RW2 for what it is, and what it is is a great, bold and far out "fusion" album I very much enjoy. Experiments like these is what this band is about.

Blissard then has too much repetition on it. Half of the songs are in the same tempo and Fool's Gold and Nathan, as pretty as they are, feel like filler material for an EP. They had a couple of amazing songs there but not quite enough for a full length record. Wasn't there a deep band crisis anyway during the time of this album? And SHAME ON YOU who voted for BH/BC! And the Love Cult, poor little unwanted pretty album. Ãœberwagner! Custer! Carousel! Mirror! Otherness! And one of their greatest songs, Serpentine! A record with so much heart in it!

Wanted Live Song: yup, more material from Demon Box would be nice. A DB only performance for its 20 years jubilee would be very welcome.

Best Live Song: uh, Hogwash? Very surprising, but yes, considering the 2002 version. I always want them to play anything whatever and Taifun! The moog! The moog!

Best Lyrics: hehe you romantic (and a bit very self aware) folk went for the VS but dismissed the Love Cult above? For me it's Taifun for its imagery (well the whole Unicorn then, too), the LLM suite (fantastic!) and the very sharply written Kill Devil Hills. This is Bent (I guess) in best form as a writer, following the likes of Pete Townshend.

Best Cover, ah there I'm with you in place 2 & 3 and to even out my worst album vote, here's to Blissard. :)

Best Non Album: Child of the Future, absolutely agree! And I'm glad now it's been running in this category, otherwise it wouldn't have won anything.

Best Album: Timmy and Trust, well yes I picked them, too. For nostalgic reasons mostly. I don't want to say they really are better than later works. The all present stubbornness about and glorification for the 90ties albums worries me a bit though. LLM and TDDU are top 5 DAMMIT! :mrgreen: Or are we all just retro nostalgia nerds babbling about the olde times?

But Phanerothyme before the Fruit? Wow, you surprise me there!

Some surprises in the Best Song poll. I didn't expect Taifun and the Alchemyst this high. Makes me happy. But not one vote for the Nerve Tattoo?

And oh nearly forgot, best drummer:

is of course

him: (hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpee6O7va8A

supernaut
        Participant

oh and completely forgot to THANKS bronny for this huge work! :)

Elvin
          Participant

Good job BronYAur!

Fun reading the results.

Kinda predicable about timmy and the golden core, the 90s in general getting top votes. But I don´t think just nostalgia. It´s because there where some real magic going on back then people, magic!

Agree that the worst categorys where the funniest. Some people really didn´t vote in this?

Poor Love Cult, I quite like it, but voted for it myself.

Next time we should include the "other" albums aswell, so my vote for Barracuda won´t get disqualified hehe

Here´s my current worst MP album/minialbum/EP/whaterver:

Barracuda (crap)

Tussler 2 (dull)

Child of the Future (meh)

otherdemon
            Participant
              Quote:
              Blissard then has too much repetition on it. Half of the songs are in the same tempo and Fool's Gold and Nathan, as pretty as they are, feel like filler material for an EP. They had a couple of amazing songs there but not quite enough for a full length record. Wasn't there a deep band crisis anyway during the time of this album?

Nope, there wasn't a band crisis during the time of this album. BUT they fucked up badly when they recorded it in the ABBA studio in Stockholm (some of the songs were recorded OUT OF TUNE!) so they had to remix/re-record huge chunks of Blissard in Oslo (plus they recorded Manmower in its entirety there)

I really like Blissard, but the two crap songs at the end should've been replaced with stuff like Flick Of The Wrist and Mad Sun, for example (which they recorded around that time)

I was actually surprised that I was sorta in sync with the majority of the lists. Except the worst album list: 4 votes for Phanerothyme??? I was close to having it on my best album list :? And why didn't that awful turd 8 Soothing Songs For Rut win that poll by a landslide? 'Uninspired' isn't even enough to describe it…

Ah well, polls are great fun :lol: And thank you to BronYAur for doing a good job putting the poll together!

Very interesting reading! Thank you for this.

I froze when voting worst album. To me they all have been "Oh my god this is the best album ever" at some point in life.

Except maybe Lobotomizer. So in retrospect i would have voted that.

harry
              Participant

It seems I'm an average fan :-(. My voting is very similar to most of the categories.

Except for the Tussler(s) omission here. I love them, but most of you don't share that love it seems.

They should have done better in the non-album category. And also the bassline in Cassie is one of the best ever! Am I right or what?? Well, I don't know anything about bassplaying but I love that stuff.

mefisto
                Participant

otherdemon wrote:

"I really like Blissard, but the two crap songs at the end should've been replaced with stuff like Flick Of The Wrist and Mad Sun, for example (which they recorded around that time)"

Fool's Gold a crap song??? Are you serious? One of many highlights on a brilliant album, I think. 8O

Of course taste can't be discussed, though :wink:

Also a big thanks to BronYAur for making all this work! Excellent!

otherdemon
                  Participant
                    Quote:
                    Fool's Gold a crap song??? Are you serious? One of many highlights on a brilliant album, I think.

Of course taste can't be discussed, though

Well, it's crappily recorded. Even more crappily recorded than the Bent livingroom ones. And it just feels like a total anti-climax after Sinful, Windborne—> Manmower.

And Nathan Daniels isn't even a Motorpsycho song, just a Deathprod experiment.

So even though I like Blissard a lot, I think they blew it just before the finishing line.

otherdemon: You sure there wasn't a bandcrisis around Blissard? I distinctly remember reading an interview with Bent from around that time, in which he lamented the fact, that he was the only one writing stuff for the band and Snah & Geb weren't really pulling their weight. Could be wrong though.

BronYrAur: Thanks for all your work! "Ocean in her eye" was played recently in a kind of pop-version, totally unrecognisable and for me with no relation to the original whatsoever. Completely forgot about The Tusslers, but then I don't consider them a part of the Motorpsycho canon. And I must have blocked out "Composite Head", otherwise that would've made my "worst song" list. Must be that it's the last song on that whole horrid album, but otherwise it would've been all three worst songs from the same album and I do hate "Mirror & Lie" more. A lot more actually. :wink:

grtz, T

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994