Paradiso – 22/5/10

Home Forums General Paradiso – 22/5/10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Rune
    Participant

Here’s Snah’s setlist:

WBAT

KILL SOME DAY

CORNUCOPIA

VISITANT (BS = “world premiere”)

BONGANOID

W.L.DIANA

STARHAMMER

YEAR ZERO

PPP

PILLOW

SHRUG

X-3

ARNE H

C’MON IN

LONELINESS

MANMOWER

GULLIBLE

The last hour and a half was fantastic. I don’t know why. Band and sound just clicked, I think.

What the fuck is Arne H?

GT is soooooo much better live than you think. Really!!

Yep, amazing kick start! Damn, much better than thought. It seemed band couldn’t wait for playing, that’s why they really enjoyed playing tonight. Bent was dancing a lot! Haha! With Kenneth they streach out their ability more and more. Really good. It seems their playings are much more complexing than before, they still learn a lot. This is the first one!? Oh, can’t imagine about others after that…!

TAF
      Participant

Great setlist! Hope someone recorded this so we’ll be able to hear some of the new songs in all their live glory. :)

Could “Arne H” actually be “Arve H”, after Arve Henriksen from Supersilent?

Great setlist! And you got Kill some day!

Hyena
        Participant

arne h (as in hassle) must be bomb-proof, right? but what is visitant? from the new 7″? and was that on sale?

and i love it that they seem to be making boinganoid a standard, love that song!

edit: my bad, just saw on stickmans website that it indeed is the new 7″. had totally missed that. was it good?

full title of 3rd track on HMF is “The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond (For Arnie Hassle)”, which is then abbreviated in the setlist to Arne H. They played this song indeed right after X-3, so there. :-)

Last night certainly set the bar for this little tour stratospherically high!

I’m so glad they were back in the Paradiso, it is the perfect club for them. The crowd energy was excellent. Lots of old-school psychonauts came out of the woodwork for the show, and it was lovely meeting some new folks, too.

From Starhammer onwards, the planets were in blissful motorpsychedelic alignment.

The drum ‘n bass version of Manmower was bizarre and enjoyable, the rumbling drone made me think once again that their extended stay at last year’s Roadburn Festival sparked some new creativity energies.

They are totally practicing for Oya, that seemed quite clear, with the Timothy’s songs getting some new angles here & there. A Shrug & a Fistful even taking on a reggae vibe in the beginning–love it, definitely not opposed to the addition of some Bad Brains-esque “Rock for Light” era touches! Maybe by the time they reach the shores of the Duna Jam site they’ll be playing a largely TM set.

Ha–yes, Hyena you called it! The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond (for Arnie Hassle). The new songs sounded so much better live than on LP; not that I don’t like the record but Starhammer is the only song I immediately took a shine to. Last night everything, even X-3, took off magnificently.

Snah’s singing was excellent last night, and like someone said about the Bergen gig indeed looked quite mad from time to time, a man possessed! Kenneth was a blur most of the time, watching him drum is like trying to discern the beats of a hummingbird’s wings in flight.

My only two criticisms: sometimes the lights were over the top, less would have been much more; ok some songs or at least certain passages are well-suited to a big rawk stadium laser light show type of spectacle, but mostly not. The other thing: Bent has got to figure out how to sing Kill Some Day! It was a big screaming mess in Deventer, and it was a big screaming mess vox-wise last night, too.

All in all a fantastic night in the big A!

It started and ended on a really funny note. First, we were treated to a cover band faithfully churning out Phil Collins’ “Against All Odds” as we made our way across Leidseplein.

Later, near midnight when we headed home, there was a hairband called “Rattlesnake Shake” rocking the square and most of Leidsestraat looked like Bourbon Street during pre-Katrina Mardi Gras.

Then, having finally made it to the station, our train left only to grind to a halt a few minutes later between Amstel & Bijlmer. After waiting a bit, the conductor announced that we were experiencing a delay due to the huge masses of people swarming the Bijlmer station, so please be patient, bear with us, etc.

Huge masses of people? Why? Ajax wasn’t playing a match, so what was going on? The Jonas Brothers at the Heineken Music Hall? Will Smith signing autographs at the Pathe Mega Bioscoop? No, it turned out “De Toppers” had just finished their latest soldout show in the huge football stadium, and now thousands of overexcited dutch suburbanites of all ages dressed in white wearing stupid plastic headbands with two LED-illuminated white plastic globes were storming the train.

If you don’t know what De Toppers are, consider yourself lucky. If you feel either morbidly curious or just a bit masochistic, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmLBOQCI-w

supernaut
          Participant

toppers, jesus H F christ!! m1831.gif

looking so forward to Berlin.

Mark
            Participant

Please don’t tell the non-Dutch what De Toppers are, it’s so embarrassing.

Great setlist! Don’t know Visitant (apparently a 7″ reading above) and Bonganoid (what is this???). Suppose C’mon in is Come On In from Demon Box?

What about the merchandise? New shorts, goodies, 7″?

Looking forward to tonight in the Effenaar!

Oystein reports:

Several t-shirts for sale, even one with a skull on it, hehe, psychedelic style on some others. They also have the good ol vinyl bag, and a winter jacket (wrong season :-P), plus a beige hoodie. LPs, 10 inches, DVD, CDs and the new 7 inch.

Even buttons :-D

Shop till you drop!!

Leslie adds:

Nothing in white, unfortunately, otherwise we would have blended into the Toppers crowd beautifully. And what about some cheap plastic novelty headbands with blinking novelty fruit shapes? :MPD:

“The Visitant” is the title of their new single, released on Stickman. The merch guy said it was for the tour only, but if some copies are left after the tour, they will be put up on Stickmans site. “Bonganoid (I.C.U.)” is the B-side of the “X-3” single, released a few months ago by Rune Grammofon. And “C’mon In” is indeed the Demon Box track.

I can only concurr with all above messages. It was a cathartic concert; hard-rocking, moving and awe-inspiring. Snah was a man on fire, Kenneth was groove personified and Bent locked everything in place. Humour, drama and – at least from a musicians’ point of view – a perfect display of musical prowess. We didn’t want them to leave, seldom have I heard such a roar from psychonauts after the encore. I’m sure they wanted to play more, but time and Paradiso’s policies were against them. As Crackpot Idea said in the car on the way back home: “Nah, I’m not going tomorrow. No need to.”

Pics on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasvdr/

Pity I didn’t see any of you there, I looked out for you all, but of course got carried away by the music and dancing around. Better luck tonight, I hope!

Greetings,

Thomas

Un.Chien.d.Espace
              Participant

all is loneliness was the best i’ve ever heard from them live…OMG!

supernaut
                Participant

@ Un.Chien: Oh yeah, that was beautiful, the tension in it was so great! That one and “A shrug…” were certainly big highlights for me!

@ supernaut: I wasn’t even aware they had made a new Taurus, so I couldn’t believe it when I saw it sitting onstage. Thanks for the info!

Greets & only 7.5 hours until the Effenaar!

Thomas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994