kjesso

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Participant

And one from Mojo, written by Andrew Perry:

Motorpsycho: Demon Box (4 stars out of 5)

Deluxe version of the punk/prog/psych Norsemen's 1993 breakthrough album.

How can these international bottom-feeders from Trondheim have had three unheard-of mid-'90s albums reissued lately, in a multi-disc splendour fit for rock giants? Answer: in Norway, and across Europe, this incredible trio full of exploratory spirit and with phenomenal chops, are rightly held in high esteem. Booklet essays explain how Demon Box was their last gasp on a domestic indie deal and they threw everything at it, recruiting insane techno fella Deathprod, and busting every frontier of their post-hardcore/grunge sound. Slayer and Napalm Death were clearly hot spins chez 'Psycho, and, boy, do they cook in that vein. Also revelatory: a primordial stab at Moondog', All Is Loneliness. The album is presented as a director's cut across two discs; two more collate contemporary EPs and outtakes (Groundhogs' Cherry Red!); on a DVD, a fearsome, virtually unlit set at Groningen's Vera Club. Months of succour here for any metal-leaning Anglo-American – if they only knew!

kjesso
      Participant

Rune Grammofon will also release it as a Limited edition of 2000 handnumbered copies.

From their web page:

RLP2170 – Motorpsycho & StÃ¥le Storløkken: En Konsert For Folk Flest (2LP/DVD/CD)

PRICE: 0,00 NOK

COMING

Last summer Motorpsycho, together with Ståle Storløkken, Kammerkoret Aurum and Sheriffs Of Nothingness performed a one-off special commission work in the mighty Nidarosdomen in their hometown of Trondheim. Luckily, they had the foresight to have it all filmed and recorded, and now we are very proud to be present it on 180g double vinyl, cd and dvd! Documenting an event that most likely will never be repeated, this is a unique album in many ways, one being that all the lyrics, sung by the 24-piece choir, for the first time in the band´s history are in Norwegian. The dvd includes the full concert plus a 65 minute documentary. The packaging is also pretty nifty with its 400g heavy duty cardboard and a 24-page LP-sized booklet. Please note that the Rune Grammofon edition is a one-off and limited to 2000 copies, individually numbered by hand.

Please don´t ask, as we do not know yet when we will start pre-orders.

Released 17.04.15

in reply to: Demon Box Slottsfjell #27376
        kjesso
        Participant

Great News.

And according to Dagsavisen today, they will release two new albums in 2015.

in reply to: Live-DVD #26866
          kjesso
          Participant

Very nice video, which made me look forward to the next tour even more.

And I like KK's hint of a smile at 2:09.

in reply to: Motorpsycho – Behind The Sun (new album 2014) #25969
            kjesso
            Participant

A rather excellent review in Mojo:

Norwegian psych-prog rocketeers celebrate quarter century in ecstatic style.

For most bands simply surviving 25 years is an achievement, but to do so while enjoying a run of consistently stunning records is virtually unheard of. That their latest album finds Motorpsycho sounding as wild and adventurous as ever is testament to the creative flame blazing bright between founder members Bent Sæther and Hans Magnus Ryan and relative newcomer Kenneth Kapstad. With assistance from Dungen guitarist Reine Fiske and string players Ole Henrik Moe and Kari Rønnekleiv, Behind the Sun is a freewheeling melting pot of West Coast harmonies, prog-jazz dexterity and power trio muscle. Whether melodic and mellow or blown out or busy, this exhilarating ride through rock's back pages offers irrefutable proof that these Nordic giants are currently operating at the peak of ther powers. (Andrew Carden, 4/5 stars)

in reply to: Motorpsycho – Behind The Sun (new album 2014) #25968
              kjesso
              Participant

A rather excellent review in Mojo:

Norwegian psych-prog rocketeers celebrate quarter century in ecstatic style.

For most bands simply surviving 25 years is an achievement, but to do so while enjoying a run of consistently stunning records is virtually unheard of. That their latest album finds Motorpsycho sounding as wild and adventurous as ever is testament to the creative flame blazing bright between founder members Bent Sæther and Hans Magnus Ryan and relative newcomer Kenneth Kapstad. With assistance from Dungen guitarist Reine Fiske and string players Ole Henrik Moe and Kari Rønnekleiv, Behind the Sun is a freewheeling melting pot of West Coast harmonies, prog-jazz dexterity and power trio muscle. Whether melodic and mellow or blown out or busy, this exhilarating ride through rock's back pages offers irrefutable proof that these Nordic giants are currently operating at the peak of ther powers. (Andrew Carden, 4/5 stars)

in reply to: Off Topic: Reine Fiske #26281
                kjesso
                Participant

If you were to recommend an album by Dungen, which one would you choose?

in reply to: Bergen, verftet usf 27/3 2014 #26290
                  kjesso
                  Participant

Setlist looks correct, Sjur, with one exception: Bent played 15 seconds of Young Man's Blues immediately after Stay Young. :MPD:

in reply to: Motorpsycho spring 2014 #25365
                    kjesso
                    Participant

Stickfrau Writes (on Stickman page) that a European tour is lined up for May and June, and that dates will be posted "shortly".

in reply to: Motorpsycho – Behind The Sun (new album 2014) #25700
                      kjesso
                      Participant

From Stickman: http://www.stickman-records.com/

I like the description of Fiske – the mercenart psychedelic halfbreed.

kjesso
                        Participant

The same video can be seen at Rockheim, the museum in Trondheim. (If I remember correctly)

E

in reply to: Tromsø gig interview + review #25229
                          kjesso
                          Participant

Nice interview; good concert review. It still pisses me off that I managed to miss this – I was at a conference in Tromsø that week, and didn't realize that Motorpsycho were playing there until I had returned home. Maybe I should visit this forum more often.

in reply to: In the Motorpsycho Family #24667
                            kjesso
                            Participant

@fillmore: what do you mean, "bring back g35"? are you suggesting g35 is dead? :lol:

in reply to: 27.06.13 – Ekstremsportveko, Voss #24656
                              kjesso
                              Participant

otherdemon: yes, Ãœberwagner sounded like that.

Some other points the video reminded me of: The stage set-up was quite traditional, with Kenneth in the back, Reine on the left, Bent in the centre, and Snah on the right (as seen from the audience). Reine only played guitar; no mellotron this time. And the five lamps from the video were present also this time-

ThorEgil: Kulturguffen is me, by the way.

in reply to: 27.06.13 – Ekstremsportveko, Voss #24654
                                kjesso
                                Participant

Oh, shut up. :twisted:

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 149 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994