Hovmod

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 23.09.23 – Verkstedhallen, Trondheim #41768
    Hovmod
    Participant

I dunno, guys. I somewhat agree with some of those points, but as it turned out, I had a great time regardless.
      Granted, there were a few external factors that contributed to my enjoyment:
      -I came alone and could move around as I pleased, pretending to be completely invisible.
      -I had high quality ear plugs, and for the most part they made it easier to make sense of the sound situation (which wasn’t stellar, I’m not disputing that).
      -Edibles peaked around Gullible’s.

That said, I liked the vibe on stage last night. I’ve seen Motorpsycho with almost every drummer, and Olaf brought something new. I remember thinking that he was deliciously *analog* (I blame the edibles), and that he was the most Gebhart-y drummer since Gebhart. He didn’t get lost that many times – again, I’ve seen most MP drummers on their first or at least early gigs, and they all got lost at some point – and when he did, they didn’t make a big deal of it and found a way out together. He’s not the freight train that Thomas can be, he doesn’t do 11- or 17-tuplets like Kenneth, but a lot of the time I would just bob my head and get lost in it and not think about him, which says something about his musicality. I also liked that he struggled to hold back the tempo on four-on-the-floory stuff like Überwagner. I appreciate metronomic accuracy, but I can get behind the enthusiasm.

I said I liked the vibe, and again it’s just a feeling, there’s no science in this review. I got a sense of transparency, of witnessing a band really trying to make the most of it. They struggled with their voices, with monitoring, with getting Reine Fiske plugged in, even Snah and Bent lost the beat at the start of Gullible’s, there were cracks all over the place, but it felt good, and it – hm – grooved. :D

I almost got emotional.

Perhaps I chose to see the glass as half full, but every now and then this felt like nineties Motorpsycho, and I will never complain about an evening where I get to hear Gullible’s Travails.

I have no idea what that last encore was, but the band coming back on after the applause ended and the ‘go home’ music played was BIZARRE.

I met happy people outside afterwards, too. It wasn’t just me. :)

in reply to: trondheim – 2018-12-14 #34696
      Hovmod
      Participant

2xShip of Fools in two weeks, I'm good!

in reply to: trondheim – 2018-12-14 #34695
        Hovmod
        Participant

Un chien og Hogwash, næmmen, da!

in reply to: 14.12.2013 – Byscenen, Trondheim #25635
          Hovmod
          Participant

Pure magic.

Anyone tape it? Please?

in reply to: 03.05.13, Darmstadt #24199
            Hovmod
            Participant

What a setlist.

I would have loved to be there. That's my kind of gig.

in reply to: Still live with eggplant #23916
              Hovmod
              Participant

I'm stuck on the other side of the planet (palm trees and beaches and all that) and have to listen to this in headphones and crap usb laptop speakers, but I have still had goose bumps and the occasional quivering lower lip from this.

It's not a top three album, but it's certainly beyond simply *good*. I think my biggest issue with it is that it's not the greatest album ever released by anyone ever in the universe, which is a feeling I have with most MP albums, at least for a few weeks of "honeymoon".

There are no songs on this that I imagine can become a bathroom break song when played live, and they all have potential to be the best song ever heard live ever anywhere in the universe. Maybe except Afterglow (which are words I would love to eat one day…) (Stoned glass, anyone?).

I like Ratcatcher, btw. Does anyone here really feel cheated because it sounds a little bit like a song on a 10 year old BOOTLEG they've played to bits? Pfft.

Best thing: Having friends who send me an mp3 version so I don't have to wait for weeks and weeks before hearing it (I am of course buying the LP).

Worst thing: I'm listening to SLWE.mp3 on this:

8664732416_7119fcbfd6.jpg

in reply to: Blæst, 2012-12-28 #23408
                Hovmod
                Participant

Here's my best effort. Please correct me if I got something wrong.

King Kong blew me away.

Year Zero

Starmelt/Lovelight

King Kong/Bomb-Proof/Cornucopia/Go to California medley (Not the right order, and there might have been even more songs plus something new? )

Nothing to Say (with hint of Echoes)

Un Chien (EPIC!!!)

Hogwash (with Halleluwah)

Starhammer

The Hollow Lands -> spaceout -> Into the Mystic

(Bent announced the first encores by saying they were obligated to promote the Blissard book/reissue, "…so here's side 1")

Sinful, Wind-borne

Drug Thing

Greener

's numbness

The Nerve Tattoo

Waiting for the One

Vortex Surfer

in reply to: Blæst, 2012-12-28 #23405
                  Hovmod
                  Participant

Cornucopia had a touch of Bomb-proof, too, iirc. A medley of quite some stature.

in reply to: Blæst, 2012-12-28 #23404
                    Hovmod
                    Participant

It sort of morphed into the Mystic.

in reply to: Blæst, 2012-12-28 #23402
                      Hovmod
                      Participant

Cornucopia started as King Kong.

Un chien was epic.

Snah was on fire. There was a Zappa vibe over much of his playing last night, imo.

Top five gig. Not one "Meh" song in the set. Greener. Mmmm.

VS is a perfectly acceptable choice of finale. :)

in reply to: Norman Records on The Death Defying Unicorn #22078
                        Hovmod
                        Participant

Haha. Awesome.

in reply to: 16.03.2012 – Sentrum Scene, Oslo (NOR) #21967
                          Hovmod
                          Participant

Thanks, TAF. Looking forward….

in reply to: Lost #22008
                            Hovmod
                            Participant

^that!

I skipped the Lobotomizer release party at UFFA, and have been kicking myself about it ever since.

in reply to: 15.03.2012 – Byscenen, Trondheim (NOR) #21892
                              Hovmod
                              Participant

:thumbsup:

in reply to: 15.03.2012 – Byscenen, Trondheim (NOR) #21890
                                Hovmod
                                Participant

Exactly what I thought at the gig! :lol:

Why the fuck doesn't he do that more!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994