Bartok

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Ole Paus & Motorpsycho Gud bevare landsbyen min #36869
    Bartok
    Participant

Love it! Nice roadtune, rolling along. Very TITS agree, didn’t expect the country vibe at all. The guys do a nice job (of course), even sweet background harmonies:) and Thomas, great. Nice w something immediate once in a while. Reminds me of the early 00s MP. I really get that this must have been an adrenaline rush for Paus, going from the more, hm, slow, to this.

in reply to: Ole Paus & Motorpsycho Gud bevare landsbyen min #36868
      Bartok
      Participant

👌

in reply to: INTO THE MAELSTROM documentary (2019) #36783
        Bartok
        Participant

What a TREAT! This is indeed just what I’ve been waiting for; getting the guys to speak! Great insights & great production, 6/6, thanks! I know this is the premiere tonight, but anyway, please: More!;) We need more oral history regarding MP, this is important stuff you’re doing. Thanks for the hard work Bernie and Sam, all the best! ❤️

in reply to: Ole Paus & Motorpsycho – Operaen Oslo Feb. 23 2020 #36376
          Bartok
          Participant

For the Norwegians: 15 minutes into the podcast «Krisemøter» with Ole Paus (13 September), he shares some beautiful words about the recording process with MP in France, very in awe of their commitment and musicianship. This album might be good little nugget, I hope to catch a show.

in reply to: Ringnes 2019 #35854
            Bartok
            Participant

Hi all, there were some great videos of Feel and N2S and a jam on the Facebook page (In the MP-family) but they seem to be gone! Does anybody know what happened? And, are there more? Such a great setlist, and GREAT “stage”! Like the old days. Whoever picked up Tomcat’s ticket is a lucky guy! Hopefully the video’s will turn up on Bernie’s page🙏

in reply to: Spring 2019 tour – what were your highlights? #35742
              Bartok
              Participant

As I missed the tour and had to experience it through the forum I think reading the Avellino setlist gave me the most goosebumps. What a perfectly composed set list. Old and new, long and short, mellow and heavy, and Coventry Boy, mmm. The Wheel. I’d love to see MP in a theater-setting. I’d also love to see them in London, saw them in a pub in Camden in 00 or 01, it was really special in such a small intimate space. Though I think bigger spaces gives the sound more room, more air. Anyway, seems like a special tour, happy for you guys who got to witness this. MP is such a gift that keeps giving, thank you Bent, Snah, Thomas and Reine. Will dive into Motorpsychodelic Clips in the upcoming days, thanks Bernie✊

Edit: And the 2019 iteration of Fools Gold – mindblowing, the gentleness, the tides of sound 🧡

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #34025
                Bartok
                Participant

Gong – wow. I’m now a gonghead. Thanks!

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #34019
                  Bartok
                  Participant

✨ WOW ✨

This is great stuff, thanks!

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #34017
                    Bartok
                    Participant

@punj : I guess the IG comment is correct as it must have been posted by Bent, today ✌️ But any reports from the gig would be nice!

Didn’t know about the Om riff before your link, sounds great! Lucky you who will see this tour, amazing setlists. The Other Fool seems to be a standard for this tour – interesting. A forgotten gem IMO, will be nice to hear how it develops during the tour.

Motorpsychedelic Clips : Bring it on! You’re doing great work! Can’t wait to keep up w everything. 2019 is indeed another good MP-year, and it’s just starting ✨

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #34011
                      Bartok
                      Participant

@Punj – This just out on MPs IG:

oh, and for all those out there who are into the statitics of it all:

t-man, other fool > om riff > alchemyst, stardust, the C,

greener, p-tzar > hogwash

> bartok, lux // the T

in reply to: 12. April. Hulen, Bergen. #35214
                        Bartok
                        Participant

This makes me so happy! Great footage. Finally Stardust, what a gem, and bedroom eyes. Wow. Hoping for more than just one note of The Crucible! But thanks! Lucky people who were there. Looking forward for more goodies ahead 🙏

in reply to: A newbie's MP journey (response to Bartok) #35060
                          Bartok
                          Participant

And Punj, thanks for the reply, I’m abs *not* aware of all their references (and yes they abs referenced stuff before LTEC) – they’ve always been standing on the shoulders of giants and contemporaries. And they’ve always made it their own. Since the very start. I guess I’m just not a fan of a lot of what they’ve been referencing and exploring the last decade(!) but I still feel it, feel them, feel Bent! and Snah! and now Thomas!, feel an urgency, feel their exploration, even if it’s changed. This is what makes them unique (unlike Yes as you explain them): there’s no laurels in sight! Only exploration, and I guess we all drop in and out, according to our inclinations, but there’s always *something* there.

in reply to: A newbie's MP journey (response to Bartok) #35059
                            Bartok
                            Participant

@Kid A

Haven’t caught up w this thread before now, but, man, you’re telling my own story with MP much more eloquent then I could myself. Spot on. I’m with you on just about everything. And yes, that moment after IALC, after the “pop” records – GEB leaving – the heart of MP in many ways (sorry Bent!) – and after the last record, yes, it really was a crush. It’s good they soldiered on. And I think, as you point out, it’s important to read this in the context of the time, of our commitment to this band, the three piece, the triangle, of the expectations of each record, and of their releases up to that point, and their significance. After that I really feel it was a different time. And, yes (my username being a testament) I also returned to this forum after the Tower. My old account I left in, hm, 2009. The Tower is really an echo of everything I loved, with a new patina.

And even though I’m somewhat on the fence about the Crucible, I’m sure we’re in for some great new things.

Let the good times roll indeed!

And – yes – those heavy psych-pop shows from the early 00s, with an at that time mature MP, I guess captured on various YouTube videos: just amazing, and a somewhat nice final sortie for what had been.

in reply to: A newbie's MP journey (response to Bartok) #35050
                              Bartok
                              Participant

Wow, man, thanks, that was MORE than I asked for!

Its so impressive you were able to take all this in, their entire discography, in such a short time! You deserve a medal! And you’re so spot on regarding their process, and their “verdensanskuelse” I guess we would call it in Norwegian, this World View, Weltanschauung. And how this translates into those moments of true MP–BLISS! Which I’ve had my share off over the years. Since I’m a Trondheim native (though long since emigrated) I literally grew up with these guys in my neighbourhood, and saw them many times at Samfunnet and Veita and Svartlamon, and even Tussler at various small and even smaller locations. I think those years were somewhat magical, also because MP were really a part of the zeitgeist, they were relevant, they were ever-evolving, they were so inspired, focused, ambitious and possessed, and again: They were a *part* of culture, they were young but at the same time so old, there was some alchemy there that is hard to describe. With Deathprod, with those ever changing songs, like Plan#1, that feels as natural as the tide, it builds and falls apart, builds and falls apart, I used to think that this was the real essence of Motorpsycho, the way they could manipulate noise, master it, make it ebb and flow, and within this structure, within this chaos, be able to let theses beautiful melodies thrive and breathe. That they sung about feelings, and ice-skating, and girls, and dogs in space. No irony, no nostalgia, just pure nowness, freshness. I still think many of those songs sound so fresh, as if they were channeled to the band, and not over-elaborated. Again, possessed. My memories of walking around the parks listening to Trust Us the summer of 98 is one of my fondest memories. Even back then people were afraid: How can they TOP Angels & Daemons? How can they top Un Chien, Starmelt, PP&PP? Then came the first single, Ozone, and Bent said something in an interview about this being their new sound, and fuck, we were so worried. Then came the record, and of course it was great. I think their trajectory is really intertwined with my own, as they made the biggest impact when they were most desperate and everything was at stake, as they were throughout the 90s. And thats how it feels being a youth, so for me it all gelled so perfectly well. And theres something about albums when you’re young, they become markers of time, and important, and I guess thats also a contributing factor to why I’ve felt that the later stuff just comes out almost too frequent, with too much of the same. Not that thats a bad thing: Its a good thing, but sometimes a frustratingly good thing.

Anyway.

I couldn’t at all understand why they wanted to do pop albums, as we all knew that within all their songs were the sweetest pop-songs. Of course, the records that came out were also great, but also sad, because it sort of ended this magical unforced period of what must have felt like pure FLOW. Then came all the winks and nods and references to the 70s, which I think started in LTEC. A lot of it is great, but sometimes too many references (to the wrong stuff) IMO. Too nostalgic. I don’t know. (The irony being, I guess, that *I’m* so nostalgic myself, when it comes to MP, hehe.) BUT – and this I must be clear about: I really don’t wanna come across as negative in any way shape or form, so (mis-)understand me right: MP knows best themselves whats right, they’ve been self-described sonic scientists since the early 90s, and they’re still out there, exploring, which is GREAT.

Anyway, I think I moved on after early 2000s, as in: I moved on from MP being so dominant in my own soundtrack, but I’m still so curious about what there’re doing, about how they’ll change, develop, expand, etc etc. Its a pleasure to be a part of this *thing*! I still spin every new album a lot, and try to catch them whenever they’re in town. Live they’re just amazing. And as I’ve said countless times before, these days I think I appreciate their “unofficial” output the most, like TDDU (which I LOVE), Konsert for folk flest (which I like), and Begynnelser (which I adore). Looking forward to this summer! As for their “official” output, I find a lot of the music very impressive, though often a bit too intellectual/ technical, and that a lot of nerve gets lost on the way, with the polyphonic vocals and whatnot. But, from reading all you guys, I really understand that this whole genre, PROG, which I’ve really never had the stomach for, is what they’re about these days, or this last, eh, decade, so no wonder I’m struggling with a lot of this stuff. And the west coast pop-stuff, hm. But the great thing is that theres something for everyone, and MP are cooking up this new brew, which never fails to make me dizzy, in one way or the other.

And again, Punj, great to read your post!! Thanks for taking the time! Sail on!

in reply to: The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019) #34513
                                Bartok
                                Participant

Slightly off topic, but, Punj, I *really* appreciate your devotion, and I have a question I’ve been wondering a lot: How do someone who discovers MP in 2017/19 navigate in their massive backlog of albums? This level of quality is almost unprecedented IMO. Where do you start? I think I’ve asked this as an open question before without any answers(?) so I’m asking you specifically since you’re the only new guy on this forum as far as I know, and as you’re so eloquent about everything. I think I would just about give up by reading their Wikipedia. Or feel intimidated. As you say, 57 min pr record, that’s about more than a whole day of songs(?)! Where did you start? When did you go back to the 90s? I remember you writing about finding it hard to make Blissard open itself. What about TM? Or TU? Or DB? The records we oldtimers consider their canon. Or their “pop-period” LTEC–IALC? I guess the Kenneth albums must have hooked you. What do you consider their “best period”? Which ones stand out? I’m asking cause I so often find myself disappointed about the direction of their records since 2008, and I get so tired of myself comparing them to the 90s. Maybe I’m fading out as a fan. But that’s OK, and natural. But yes, as a “newbie” how do you relate to this whole thing? How do you read the latest MP decade compared to the two previous? Just post a link if you’ve answered this before✌️

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994