suntripper

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 387 total)
  • Author
    suntripper
    Participant

Guess you already know Tinariwen? If not, check them out. You'll be glad you did.

in reply to: Motorpsycho VHS archive #36599
      suntripper
      Participant

Thanks Mark and Bernie!

@knoot – I was already very grateful to you for this and all the other gems you uploaded so this is an opportunity to tell you so. Did you film this one? If not, then thanks must also go to the guy who captured this gig.

I think the duplication was always going to be a possibility with this stash. Better two copies than none!

To my ears the Vimeo version sounds a tiny bit better but that might simply be down to Vimeo having better sound than YouTube.

Again, though, massive respect to anyone who goes to the trouble of selflessly and freely sharing what they have rather than hoarding or trading.

in reply to: Kingdom of Oblivion – reviews #38675
        suntripper
        Participant

Reckon the OpenAI Jukebox must have needed a lie down in a darkened virtual room after this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0fBm2sK4jg

in reply to: Motorpsycho Tribute Series #39465
          suntripper
          Participant

Thanks Ratmaus. Now that cover of Lacuna/Sunrise was a version well worth doing. It brings out the fragile beauty and occasional majestic grandeur of the original and complements it rather than attempting to replace it. I should have known I would like it as I discovered, part way through listening, of the involvement of Nicklas Barker from Anekdoten. I was not aware of this project, Kosmogon, and certainly anything inspired by Manuel Göttsching is going to get my attention anyway.

What I'm hearing of their album I really like. As the Motorpsycho Tribute Bandcamp page doesn't seem to link to their Bandcamp page, here it is:

https://kosmogon.bandcamp.com/

in reply to: Motorpsycho Tribute Series #39461
            suntripper
            Participant

Can't say I'm loving this, but anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jn4yQYn0do

in reply to: OT but not really: Spotify #39553
              suntripper
              Participant

And as for 'Sir' Tony Blair…? Well, maybe it's best said with a Gibson ES-295…

https://youtu.be/g5pfhp7060U?t=2552

in reply to: Short interview with Bent for laut.de #38489
                suntripper
                Participant

How are things in the state of Denial, guys?

in reply to: Interview #39554
                  suntripper
                  Participant

Thanks for posting. A good read.

in reply to: Kingdom of Oblivion – reviews #38674
                    suntripper
                    Participant

@TraktorBass: Yes! I thought Reine too! Mind you, Reine is positively hyperactive compared to this guy!

I agree these reaction videos can be a bit underwhelming and there's no doubt the best music takes time to be fully appreciated. However, I still think it's worth linking to them – partly just to document them, but as much for the comments below as anything. Also, as Johnny says, they might be doing a job.

Many thanks, though, for linking to the brother listening to 'Close the Edge' – that was a great watch! Over 400k views! He is very entertaining and I loved watching him being blown away! It's difficult to get your head around the fact that he is listening to music made half a century ago – and it still hasn't been surpassed! Well, except maybe by…

(Ever seen a drummer more keen to get to the end of a song?)

in reply to: Kingdom of Oblivion – reviews #38669
                      suntripper
                      Participant

Just another reaction video – The United Debased accompanied by some of the most understated air guitar you'll ever see.

7:08 "What does this remind me of suddenly?"

Erm, I think it might be 'Crazy Horses'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQVSTfhoRo

in reply to: OT but not really: Spotify #39550
                        suntripper
                        Participant

To return to the theme of the thread – what happens with the likes of Spotify and EMI, diversifications, mergers, big fish eats little fish, the questionable morality behind the actions of the big corporations and how easily we are all caught up in this web – I present some relevant and, I hope, interesting viewing.

First, a quick 2 minutes on BlackRock:

Now, a deeper dive – a 1 hour film called 'Monopoly – Who Owns the World?' What follows is someone else's summary.

A handful of mega corporations — private investment companies — dominate every

aspect of our lives; everything we eat, drink, wear or use in one way or another. These

investment firms are so enormous, they control the money flow worldwide

While there appear to be hundreds of competing brands on the market, like Russian

nesting dolls, larger parent companies own multiple smaller brands. In reality, all

packaged food brands, for example, are owned by a dozen or so larger parent companies

These parent companies, in turn, are owned by shareholders, and the largest

shareholders are the same in all of them: Vanguard and Blackrock

No matter what industry you look at, the top shareholders, and therefore decision

makers, are the same: Vanguard, Blackrock, State Street and/or Berkshire Hathaway. In

virtually every major company, you find these names among the top 10 institutional

investors

These major investment firms are in turn owned by their own set of shareholders. One of

the most amazing things about this scheme is that the institutional investors also own

each other. They’re all shareholders in each other’s companies. At the very top are

Vanguard and Blackrock. Blackrock’s largest shareholder is Vanguard, which does not

disclose the identity of its shareholders due to its unique structure

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNg3Vnfu4Pk

in reply to: OT but not really: Spotify #39547
                          suntripper
                          Participant

@Norman: What an unpleasant little post! I simply sought to tease you, in good humour, with a few questions. Why did my post touch a nerve? Rather than engage in an interesting discussion, you just come back with the ad hominem attack. What do you hope to achieve with this style of yours?

in reply to: OT but not really: Spotify #39544
                            suntripper
                            Participant

Democratic governments? Hmm…Do you know of any?

How much harm has been done spreading 'liberal democracy' around the world?

So you believe the fairy stories around bin Laden?

Who are the real victims of data mining, do you think? How is it 'justified'? What is the true objective? Who benefits?

There's your homework, Norman!

in reply to: OT but not really: Spotify #39541
                              suntripper
                              Participant

@Johnny: Ha! I think the conscience beat you to that one! See the other thread (you know, <i>that</i> one).

@supernaut
                                : Don't worry! I'm not going to try to take this thread in that direction! I just can't resist a little bit of fun sometimes!

As far as Ek is concerned, I'd rather he'd invested in <i>the</i> Arsenal rather than <i>an</i> arsenal. Perhaps he could put a rocket up Martin Ødegaard!

Seriously, as an Arsenal fan, if I was uncertain about his designs on the club before, what you have revealed would make me completely against. He would not get my money – just as Murdoch does not get my money (no Sky in my house). The decisions we all make as consumers make our world.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by suntripper.
                                in reply to: OT but not really: Spotify #39537
                                suntripper
                                Participant

Obviously, that was a quote from the Sex Pistols' 'E.M.I.' and not in any way a reference to people standing in line for their third (fourth? fifth?) shot of graphene hydroxide.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 387 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994