Grimr

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: New first official Motorpsycho homepage #26077

Needs more merch! :D

in reply to: Still live with eggplant #23893

@Tomcat – sadly, I have no such connections. Given that MP have played the UK only twice in over 10 years, both times in London (a 400 mile round trip from where I live in Liverpool) and both of which I was lucky to attend, I gathered it's not straightforward for them. They are, unbelievably, little known over here. :(

Perhaps one day my wife will let me fly out to Europe for a MP gig. I live in hope. :wink:

in reply to: Still live with eggplant #23890

Well, my package from Stickman arrived in the UK yesterday, and a couple of listens in I LOVE this album.

I didn't know what to expect so soon after the big project that the UNICORN must have been. An album of scraps and outtakes, maybe. But EGGPLANT is one of the most consistent offerings for ages.

As for Reine Fiske's contribution. I have been a Dungen fan for a while, have their albums and seen them live several times. Fiske's playing is quite prominent and strident with Dungen, so I feared slightly how he would come across on a MP record. I need not have feared at all, as he sits niceley in the mix and compliments the boys really well.

Motorpsycho, year after year you continue to impress me. Now get your arses over to the UK (please? :MPD: )

Very interesting indeed. I have all of Dungen's albums and have seen them live a few times. Fiske's style is rather 'sonic', shall we say.

Reine Fiske from Dungen?

in reply to: The Death Defying Encores (a petition) #22457

Duly signed!!!

in reply to: 12.04.12 The Garage, London #22143

Yeah, I was hoping for a decent turn out, and I think it was pretty good. Would have liked even more though.

in reply to: 12.04.12 The Garage, London #22141

Managed to catch 'Into The Gyre' on my phone (sorry it's a bit shaky). You can view it here – http://youtu.be/KxkL3WfqX7M

in reply to: 12.04.12 The Garage, London #22139

"Focusing on something more positive in that vid: Looks like there was a decent crowd attending the gig? Anyone wanna guess how many?"

The Garage is only a small venue – capacity about 600 or so, and while it wasn't sold out, there was a good few hundred there, I'd guess.

in reply to: 12.04.12 The Garage, London #22136

Yep. That's him. As you can see, it was going great up to that point. The audience were just stunned at the end. I know I was.

in reply to: 12.04.12 The Garage, London #22130

Those two guys were definitely together. In fact, jacket man tried to intervene when smoking man was getting ejected.

in reply to: 12.04.12 The Garage, London #22124

This gig was terribly important to me for a number of reasons. Amongst them the fact that this will be the only chance I get to see them this tour, as I can't afford to travel to Europe – this trip to London from Liverpool, with overnight stay etc. cost me enough. Also, was the fact that this is only the third time in 10 years that MP have played a gig in the UK, and I wanted the band to enjoy the gig, leave having had a good experience of the UK, know that they do have some loyal and enthusiastic UK fans, and to be motivated to come back and play here again sooner rather than later.

And all was going well until one moment of twattedness right at the end.

The venue wasn't sold out, but the gig was respectably attended. The support acts went down well. I was pretty close to the front and thought the sound was OK, however the performance from the boys was brilliant. MP were really up for it, were getting good vibes from the audience and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. The playing was superb, and, let me tell you, anyone who has any doubts about TDDU as a record (and there are a few) must see it performed live. It is killer! Even my wife, who is more of a Phanero/IALC/LTEC era fan, and doesn't care too much for the new stuff, was mightily impressed.

The main set ended and the boys were swiftly encouraged back on to do a couple of encores. After a bit of light-hearted banter between Bent and the crowd, the first encore was a crunching version of 'Starhammer', the second was shaping up to be a storming version of 'Burn'. That's when that arsehole (and I make no apologies for using the term) threw a heavy leather jacket at Snah, knocking the mike stand over into him, and causing him to leave the stage. What should have been a rapturous climax to the show just sort of fizzled out, as the rest of the band concluded the song and then swiftly followed Snah off stage, and the audience stood there in disbelief at what had just happened.

I have to say that rather than the euphoria I should have felt at the end of this gig, I felt despondant. That this should be the band's parting memory of their one UK show was so disappointing for me, and I'm sure many others who were there.

As for the idiot involved – I don't know who he was, but he was making a bit of a nuisance of himself all night, bumping into people etc, and his mate had been ejected earlier by security for some misdemeanour or other.

If the band read these boards – maybe they do, maybe they don't – I would like to assure them that this was ONE fool, amongst many genuine fans and gig-goers who were thoroughly enjoying the show. He is not representative of UK audiences. Up until that point this had been a great gig. Don't let this be your abiding memory of the gig, and please don't let it put you off from visiting these shores again.

in reply to: MP Poll 2012: THE RESULTS! #21841

Pity I didn't vote. I picked up on the poll too late to really give at proper consideration, and I didn't want to make a half-assed effort. No big surprises – except for worst song being 'Composite Head'. Far worse songs can be found on the 'Walkin' With J' e.p. IMO.

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO – SPRING 2012 #20964

Can't wait to see the setlist from the first shows. I know they will do The Unicorn, but there will hopefully be some other stuff as well, possibly as encores.

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21308

Listened quite a few times now and I keep getting drawn back to Hollow Lands, Through The Veil, Into the Gyre and Into the Mystic. They seem to be establishing themselves as my faves at the moment. I must confess, I skip past one or two as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994