05.10.2023 – Katalin, Uppsala

Home Forums General 05.10.2023 – Katalin, Uppsala

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tomcat
    Participant

Premier show of the new incarnation of motorpsycho – let the news come.on.in :stg:

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Tomcat.
      otherdemon
      Participant

Setlist, courtesy of MP’s Facebook account:

real again
        mad sun
        maypole
        dank state
        feel (Reine on mellotron)

chariot of the sun
        sentinels
        serpentine
        the promise
        starhammer
        patterns
        the tower
        united debased
        cosmoctopus

hotel daedalus (reine on mellotron)
        uberpilgrim (reine on guitar)
        rock bottom (reine on guitar)

boomer former helm
        Participant

Surprised that Reine joined them on stage. Just with the mentioned songs propably?

Be
          Participant

The promise could reside in the vaults for my taste…

pfnuesel
            Participant

How was that show? Setlist looks a bit… underwhelming?

supernaut
              Participant

I like that list a lot. No Whip that California and Promise Debased Cosmoctopus instead!

suntripper
                Participant

I love The Promise! I want to put it on a compilation with other post-Geb punchy, shorter numbers, as best showcased on Child of the Future. I hope they make more of them!

Johnny_Heartfield
                  Participant

Still the core setlist of the Norwegian shows, with a few welcome stalwarts slipping in. Another chariot – hooray! The Tower is back, as is the Lurker. Starhammer, yay!

I guess Ueberpilgrim and probably Rock Bottom will vanish as the tour winds on without Reine. We’ll see – I’m positively curious…

Krist Rampage
                    Participant

Me too! But, I am really hoping for some more long jammy songs as the Wheel.

grindove
                      Participant

My report disappeared after a little edit? New try:

2,5 hours. “Ship of fools” on setlist (last in main set) but not played.

Although I’ve been looking forward to this I kept my expectations low. I mean, first gig with new drummer. Tomas shoes aren’t easy to fill. Also, there’s quite a chunk of music to learn. And that’s the “easy” part. Then there’s the communication thing playing in this band – good luck! But hey, I enjoyed the concert and really had a great time!

In parts sort of messy, but – actually – I don’t mind! My impression is that a certain amount of energy generated from being on the edge. I tend to like that kind of excitement :D Something tells me that Ingvald will be awesome a few shows into the tour.

Some struggling with vocal harmonies here and there, but nothing that ruined songs for me.

Low points: “Real again”, “Maypole” and “Dank state” – I really can do without those songs. Not saying they are crap, they’re just not my cup of melodies – just like many of the tracks on “Yay!”, unfortunately. That partly includes “Hotel Daedalus”, where I’m not too fond of the vocal melody, but it hit me yesterday how great its instrumental part becomes live!

“Feel” was better than ever, probably due to it following “Maypole” and “Dank state” ;)

I loved “Chariot…” (incl some mishaps?), a chaotic “The promise”, “Starhammer”, “The tower”, “The united debased” and watching Bent play chords – yes, both feet – on the Taurus while keeping fingers busy nailing pretty intricate bass lines.

But the two main highlights for me was “Mad sun” (a song that’s amazing in every form) and “Cosmoctopus”.

As usual, I was hoping for no covers. I want 100% Motorpsycho! But still, there’s no way I can’t enjoy “The pilgrim” or “Rock bottom” :)

Yes, nice to get some Reine! Only on one song, is what I heard aforehand, so, cool surprise! Also, I heard they wanted to play for three hours, but the venue didn’t allow that. And no, sorry, I can’t confirm this – it was just someone telling me :/

Summary: great show! Would definitely see a few more on this tour if I had the opportunity.

https://i.postimg.cc/CxFJCSWn/2023-10-05-uppsala.jpg

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by grindove.
                        Krist Rampage
                        Participant

Thanks for the report!

supernaut
                          Participant

Bent play chords – yes, both feet – on the Taurus while keeping fingers busy nailing pretty intricate bass lines.

Haha!

On a geeky note, I didn’t even know it’s possible to play chords on the Taurus. But so it’s possible on the Taurus III, then… My Taurus I is monophonic only.

Of course there’s the magic of being a tight knit live band, as we saw in the latter years of the Kenneth and Tomas eras and all the way through the Geb times, but come to think of it: the idea of witnessing a positively energetic but somewhat “shakey” Motorpsycho due to a new drummer is quite intriguing. Accidents and spontaneous saves about to happen throughout. :stg:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994