2018-11-12 Beatpol, Dresden

Home Forums General 2018-11-12 Beatpol, Dresden

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    boomer former helm
    Participant

@Guybrush Threepwood, I just got a message from Wulf that you want to join us tonight for a Pre-Beer/Dinner in Neusadt area. Due to the fact that "Bautzner Tor" was already fully booked, I reserved a table for 8 people (we are 6 now) in "Altes Wettbüro" at 6:15 PM. We will go by taxi to Beatpol afterwards.

See you there tonight, or just contact me back through the Forum if something is unclear.

marc
      Participant

Dream home

August

Starhammer

S.T.G

Ship of Fools

Feel

A Pacific Sonata

Triggerman

Bartok

Lux Aeterna

The Wheel (Massive!!!)

The Tower

2:15

Bit of a mixed evening, to be honest. The crowd was in the mood and the band as well, but somehow the magic didn't happen (for me). Sound was very good and well-balanced most of the time. They started off strong, but after Feel they ran a bit out of steam it appeared. Pacific Sonata is a beautiful song, but does not carry such a long jam. Triggerman was a nice choice, but also lacked a bit of energy. Bartok is a solid rocker, but there already was quite a lot of mid-tempo riffing at that point and i had hoped for something else. Well, the new song reminded me a bit of Court of the Crimson King with that bombastic chorus. The song structure was a bit messy with many different parts and harmonies…too much for my ears to judge after one listen. Which leads to the definite highlight of the evening: The Wheel. Wow! With the first notes it was as if you switched on the room. There suddenly was magic going on 😀 Brilliant, massive version! Clocking in at 2 hours after the main set, I hoped that maybe they go for something epic like un chien. Tower was solid, but didn't do much for me. All in all, not a bad, yet a weird concert….setlist-wise/mood-wise. I dont think they were in a particular bad mood, but for some reason they didn't get 100% into it and didn't make the jams take off to celestial heights as usual.

Side note: Bent sported a nice Melvins-Shirt.

fillmore
        Participant

Dresden 2018 gave us a great show played on a very high level throughout. Motorpsycho and Reine Fiske are a well oiled unit. Together they can give the material new twists, explore little playful pockets of improvisation at every turn and generally give each song the jam treatment. I, too, had the feeling the band peaked in the first third before "Feel". Particularly "Starhammer" is the most pronounced psychedelic highlight of this set. Absolutely amazing how the band can slip into weirdness within the blink of eye, with a snap of Bent's finger and they are way out there. A burning Floydian free form space that built to a blissed out peak graced this amazing version. Other highlights included tenderly executed versions of "S.T.G." and "Pacific Sonata", the latter stood particularly out from other renditions. "Lux Aeterna" is interesting, and indeed all over the place alternating between insane riffing, poppy verses and proggy parts, yet it seemed like a well developped and tight version. Good sound, singing and energy, audience unfortunately not of the quiet variation. All in all, also considering the short lenght, I would give this concert 3.5 on a scale of 1-5. Was good seeing some of you, a real good night out there with Motorpsycho on the road :-)

TraktorBass
          Participant

Is it just me or is there alot less variation in the setlists the last year?

s_edelman
            Participant

True, hardly any surprises.

I've seen 5 concerts this year, I am getting to know these Towersongs+ pretty well. It gives some extra to it as well though.

The odd songs (like STG Sunday) feel like extra-treats.

marc
              Participant

Probably just a matter of feasability with 2nd guitar currently being a revolving door. I really enjoyed the stuff Kristoffer contributed, but I think Reine fits the character of the band better and I hope he's not too busy with Dungen and able to stick around for a bit. They usually rehearse during sound check, so there might be some gems popping up on the remaining dates.

supernaut
                Participant

so that new song is a long one with all these changes in it?

Kid A
                  Participant

It is, if you consider it is played without any extra jamming. But nevertheless a lot of breaks and changes within a short time.

Regarding the setlists, I think it comes with the nature of the in-between-tour. Next year will see a lot of new Stuff apparently.

I’m glad that I got two quite different sets this year, being in Bremen and Bielefeld. One spaced out, one more straight. Missed Manmower in Bremen, got it on Sunday. And glad to got not another round of Chien this time. Got my share in the past 20 years :P

dongonz
                    Participant

It's funny reading your comments. Actually it's exactly what I thought as well. Solid concert, but it didn't freak me out like the last ones i've been to. I stood second row in the middle and there the sound was blurry. After the Herzberg Gig, when i also stood in a similar place, this was a little bummer for me. There you couldn't hear much of the vocals but all the instruments where sooo freaky clear. I missed this yesterday. And than… ok, the audience… i got pissed once in a while of the guys behind me, talking very loud all the time. I told to my girlfriend, she have to say to me: Hasi, du bleibst hier! ….. Sorry… insider ^^ No seriously… everybody should have fun and who am I to say that they have to shut up. …. In the end, mixed emotions towards this evening.

Spacebandit
                      Participant

…hell…a WHEEL…I was hoping for that in Bielefeld (my only show of this short tour),

but that was not to be. Anyway…BI was magical and I hope to get my ears on this one as

well…for those who know me…WHEEL…woah!

Be
                        Participant

@Kid A: There was no gig in Bremen 2018! Which is a crying shame! Schlachthof is always an exceptional place for MP.

elNibi
                          Participant

The comments confirm in a way what I'm thinking from some time: the new songs are much more complex from a compositional standpoint and are not bad, but despite this sort of "compositive refinement" all in all the good old 2 chords THE WHEEL is still on another planet!

I know it it impossibile but I hope they can go back to the simple and massif song concepts at some point.

dongonz
                            Participant

Well, don't get me wrong, I like the complex sound structures. I think, it gets harder to surprise us with something really extraordinary since this is what the guys are doing for many years now. In some way, all the late stuff goes in kind of a similar direction. I would love them to do a Jazzy album again, or something entirely acoustic… don't know. Well… something different

Kid A
                              Participant

@Be: 2017 of course. Time runs by…

boomer former helm
                                Participant

i think the show was really great. i was surprised actually by the new quality level of the jams in "tower" and "starhammer" for instance. the new song is amazing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994