Leizpig, Conne Island 07-06-2010

Home Forums General Leizpig, Conne Island 07-06-2010

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Juergen
    Participant

A long show (2h 40 min.) in a nice venue.

The Other, Other Fool

Vanishing Point

Whole Lotta Diana

Greener

Starhammer

The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond

Year Zero

Mad Sun

Mountain

Hogwash/Halleluwah

The Golden Core

Cornucopia

Sparks

High Time

A Shrug & A Fistful

X-3

Come On In

The setlist said “Gullible’s Travails” instead of “Come On In”.

“Sparks” introduced “High Time” (instead of being played as a “High Time”-Outro). Maybe “Vanishing Point”, “Sparks”, “Hogwash” and “High Time” were tour debuts (as long as the Duna Jam setlist is unknown it is hard to speak about premieres).

Wow, what a setlist! I would LOVE to hear sparks once!

Holle
      Participant

wow.

for me the best setlist at least on this tour, so far.

to bad that I didn’t had the time to go to leipzig.

did anyone record this one?

fillmore
        Participant

People, this was one show for the history books! More later!

Damn! I really envy you guys, Alex! Yep let us hear about more in detail PLZ!

boomer former helm
          Participant

the show was great, but the sound sucked a bit from where i stood (nearly no guitar) bomp roof was the best version i heared so far, with a long hawkwind-style space middle part with no drums and strange keysounds. very far out. good show with a lot of surprises.

btw: nice that you guys are able to recognize the setlist. thanks for this. :cheers:

My god. How I wish for an autumn tour of Norway! Hope this was recorded! :MPD:

Holle
            Participant

^^ not only for norway, I hope :MPD:

now my journey to hamburg starts

supernaut
              Participant

leizpig, lol.

Holy crap, look at that setlist: The Other Other Fool – Vanishing Point / Greener / Mad Sun – Mountain – Hogwash (feat. Halleluwah) – The Golden Core. Now I remember why I’m not reading the setlists anymore now: too frustrated I wasn’t there! :lol:

Enjoy all of you lucky b*stards!

Greets,

Thomas

fillmore
                Participant

GOING BACK TO LEIPZIG AFTER TEN YEARS

My god, where to even begin to review this show? Like I told you before this was truely one for the books! It found us grinning widely, high-fiving, yelling, singing and rocking along and being ultimately blissed out already after the first hour of the show!

Conne Island is a lovely left-alternative culture project in the south of Leipzig with a professional concert hall for 500-900 people. It fills up well but not to capacity, lots of space for everyone to move and see well and an excellent sound made for a perfect setting to experience a laid-back and revitalized band (after a lovely experience at Duna Jam and one off day). Add to that a appreciative crowd, ridiculously low prices for alcoholic drinks as well as an anbundance of soft drugs and you have yourself a picture perfect Motorpsycho show!

It starts out with “The other other fool”. Anders comments next to me: “Oh, there it is”, noting our first wish fulfillment for today. This is a very laid back version, they take it down completely and Snah’s bluesy noodling is the icing on the cake. Great vocals and swinging heads everywhere! “Vanishing point” takes me by surprise and they deliver this as a cool blues rocker.

“Whole lotta Diana” opens the flood gates to this nights monster jam, a mix of swirling psychedelia, burning solos as well as a lot of improvised space — everything neately and smoothly segued together into one magic Motorpsycho cake! They nail all versions by providing their playing with that certain X-factor that is really hard to pinpoint! “Greener”? Sublime! “Starhammer”? Just great! “Arnie H”? Well, this version clocks in 20 magnificent minutes. The first part of the jam is a structureless space out of which they sculpture something that resembles a melodic movement, with strange keyboard-like sounds, some delays and low register drones by Snah. The band is lit with indirect white light from behind, everyone holds his/her breath and this moment lasts for maybe 10 eternal minutes — the towering psychedelic highlight of the entire show! From here on they enter a more structured and upbeat jam powered by chaotic fills from Kenneth. Just when it feels right to go back into the coda Snah decides against it and forces the band into several rounds of additional jams that go on and on and on, making us — yet again — lose our orientation of place and time! So far out I could see the proverbial dropped jams and shaking heads in disbelief all around me.

“Year zero” and “Mad sun” are magic! The former is of course not different from other shows but still it is refined with that little extra thing tonight. The latter is a moving moment and it finds me rediscovering the much adored lyrics and shouting them out! Slow beginning and then a great build up to a storm of emotion!

Just when everyone thinks this couldn’t possibly get ANY better they dive into an unbelievable “Mountain -> Hogwash” combination that takes the entire hall along for the ride! Up and down, one solo after another, one wave of picture perfect jamming follows the next one only to be interrupted by a carefully articulated “Hallewujah”, complete with a build up from VERY quiet noodlings all the way up to a rocking part which features the lyrics! When the hog comes back and squeakes its last breath the hall truely explodes and screams and the applause is simply deafening! At this point everyone inside the buidling understood that this was IT! You can see how the band feels flattered and they let Conne Island wash away with the power of the “Golden core”…

And that was the the two hours main set! Can you believe that? We hardy couldn’t because it was so good it was beyond our comprehension…

The entire first encore is segued together as well. “Cornucopia” doesn’t dissappoint (no “Other one” this time though) and the following “Sparks” finds Kenneth nailing it, what a surprise in the setlist department! To think that they can break out this complicated piece of manic instrumental jamming just like this is mindblowing! The segue into “High time” was just so logic (but still unexpected) and we all scream along with this rocker.

“Shrug and fisty” is a crowd pleaser and when they take it down in the middle the entire hall — again — screams and yells in delight which gets the recognition of the band. Kenneth stands up and bows, the lights go on, they wave at us, extending this moment for a little while and then they say thank you — a magic moment of mutual appreciation and LOVE between band and crowd! “Come on in” brings back the urgency of our youth and it is a fitting and emotional closer of this epic, exceptional show that ranks among the best I ever saw.

We all agreed afterwards on the extraordinary magic that happened tonight and to many ears this show is an instantly releasable “Roadworks IV” because it simply cannot get better than this!

Conne Island did not let us down and neither did Motorpsycho! Wahnsinn! Thank you all! See you!

Alex

The Other Anders
                  Participant

I have got nothing to add, Alex. You nailed it. This is exactly how it was. Thank you.

er… what is sparks?

supernaut
                    Participant

Sparks is from The Who’s “Tommy”.

Great read, Alex, thank you.

Be
                      Participant

Nice setlist, but I read “noodeling” all over the place. So I hope for a tight rockshow tonight in Hamburg and for The Golden Core, of course.

@Alex

“proverbial dropped JAMS” is a nice (freudian?!?) typo :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994