Prog Magazine 121 – July 21

Home Forums General Prog Magazine 121 – July 21

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ThorEgil
    Participant

Double pager with Bent in the summer issue. Don't wanna spoil the fun and your beach reading, but he's talking about the Kingdom of Oblivion and new stuff. Lotsa new stuff! :cheers:

Johnny_Heartfield
      Participant

Lotsa new folky stuff? Hardly any electric guitars? Sounds promising for a change!

Wonder when they did the interview – no mention of Ny Lang or Ny Halflang, talk about songs that last 7 minutes at the most. Obviously developments overtake the "official" MP outings once again ;-)

pabernard2002
        Participant

If someone is interested, I have good quality screenshots (from the Prog App) for this interview.

PM me / or pabernard@gmail.com

boomer former helm
          Participant

Could someone please write what the "lotsa new stuff" Bent actually talks about?

Johnny_Heartfield
            Participant

Prog Magazine 121 (Excerpt):

"With the band unable to tour, they’ve been pouring their energies into working their way through a backlog of songs that have been waiting to be hammered into shape. “We did a little rough count of the demos a year ago and we had 70 songs, I think,” says Sæther. Some are 20 minutes long, others around two minutes, but there’s a wealth of unreleased material, a situation that Sæther blames on their 2019 album. “I think The Crucible fucked us up a bit,” he says, “because that was only three songs, not the usual 10 that you’re used to getting rid of. We got a bit constipated, so now there’s enough music for another four [albums], I guess. The key is to not ever stop writing, never say no to the muse when she comes knocking and just document whatever it is that comes. Then when you have the time and possibility to work it out, you can put it out of your head and down onto a hard drive and free up more space for even more songs.” What all this means is that, even as Kingdom Of Oblivion is still fresh from the oven, Motorpsycho are already busy recording in their rehearsal space.

“Now it’s 18 songs and the longest one is seven-something minutes so it’s kind of normal, almost,” says Sæther. “I still haven’t wrapped my head around quite what it is yet and we don’t know what we’re going to do with it. It’s enough material for two albums. We’ll see. We haven’t started mixing them yet and we don’t really know quite what to do with them but at least we’ve kept busy. It’s a good way to stay focused and it gives us a purpose when you can’t do anything else.”

The direction of the new material sounds like a shift away from the riffage on Kingdom Of Oblivion, with Sæther describing the mood as, “extremely folky, very quiet, very sparse. Most of it is acoustic, there are a few electric guitars in there but not a lot, not a lot of out-and-out rockers, no riffage. All these little things fell out of us and we needed to document them.”

The ever-shifting sound of Motorpsycho is not something that the trio explicitly discuss among themselves. Instead, it’s just a natural part of their creative journey and the expression of a hunger for fresh musical experiences. “Usually, we go through phases where we focus on stuff and when we feel like we’ve achieved whatever it was that made us go in that direction, we naturally go elsewhere,” says Sæther. “We don’t really want to repeat ourselves and we never really had any big hits, so we’ve not had any pressure to repeat ourselves either, which is a big thing. That’s usually what happens, if you have any kind of success, the label wants you to do the same thing again. If you don’t really have any big success, you don’t have that pressure, you’re more free to do your thing. When you release an album a year at least, like we do, it’s more or less documenting the process. It’s just pottering along and then whatever we releasenow is what we were into last year.”

boomer former helm
              Participant

thank you very much :)

Punj Lizard
                Participant

Thanks Johnny H.

dongonz
                  Participant

:) that sounds fantastic. Seems like I finally get the acoustic album i wished for some years now. seriously… they became so good with their acoustic stuff over the years, that it has been time!

Punj Lizard
                    Participant

I can't believe it's been three months since this article ran with news of freshly recorded material but here we are in the middle of October and still no announcements regarding a new release. Are the boys waiting to release a new album to coincide with a spring tour? My impatience gets the better of me :lol:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994