Sinus, Bodø 04.04.19

Home Forums General Sinus, Bodø 04.04.19

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Johnny_Heartfield
    Participant

So the madness starts anew. Picture some peaceful small furry animals gathered together sheltering beside the road and blocking their ears: "M… M… Motorpsycho are on tour again…"

Very interesting setlist – great for a rather short gig (in MP terms only…)

Can't wait to listen to the first live recordings of The Crucible after listening to the song almost every morning during breakfast. (The other days it's side one).

Finally overcame my MP abstinence period (last year) and ordered a ticket for Wiesbaden. Cologne is still too far away – couln't wait that long.

otherdemon
      Participant

Some visual evidence:

The Crucible

Punj Lizard
        Participant

@otherdemon: Cheers. Watching now. :D

boomer former helm
          Participant

wonderful!!

supernaut
            Participant

why so few attendees? 8O

GBD
              Participant

That's a very good question..

The Other Anders
                Participant

@Devotional: Superstooge was played quite a few times in 2017, and Hey Jane was played sometimes. Vortex Surfer is also still played now and then, so I don't think they have forgotten the existence of Trust Us. That said I would love to hear more songs from it too.

@supernaut: I have never been to Bodø for a MP concert, so I don't know if this concert had a smaller audience than usual, but it's a small town, so I am not surprised.

I find the setlist good. I am especially glad to see The Promise played again, got nothing against Go to Cal, and I am intrigued by Ãœberwagner>cover song.

Great video of The Crucible. I think this song draws musical lines back to Demon Box days.

Happy to see The Tower, as well as Dream Home survive. Would like to see more songs from The Tower re-appear, like Bartok and Cuckoo with its extended outro from fall 2018.

otherdemon
                  Participant

Found a setlist scan on Facebook, and they did indeed play Pilgrim inside Ãœberwagner!

Hoping it survives until Oslo, because the versions they played in 2013 were spectacular!

Spacebandit
                    Participant

Sure it was ÃœberPilgrim. The proof is up on Dime. Feel free to share FOR FREE!

The Other Anders
                      Participant

Hahaha! "Terrible setlist"? "Endure GTC"? Thanks to tapers extraordinaire Lars M and Spacebandit I just had my mind blown by a Starhammer worthy of Roadwork release. Before that a fresh, jammed out Go to California had me smile for 13 minutes. Back in the day we traveled for weeks to witness stuff like this. These days they reach the boiling point 3-4 songs into the opening night already.

Each to his own opinion, setlists discussions are fun, and following the setlist postings is like football season. But the result does not necessarily say much about the game, and the setlist does not say much about the jams.

JERO
                        Participant

@The Other Anders ; exactly what I'm thinking whenever I see the setlists (although it's fun); they could play 7 versions of 'star spangled banner'for all I care and still blow the roof off! Some MP concerts I went to didn't have a surprising setlist (2018: more The Tower, again) and yet could be a very special and surprising experience, as MP always guarantees adventure.

Devotional
                          Participant

Hey, Anders! Nothing makes me happier than hearing that people enjoy the concerts, and the excitement of "seasoned" psychonauts like yourself is always music to my ears. You are obviously right in that the setlist doesn’t say much (anything) about the jams. I’ve made that same point myself many times, and have had my mind blown live by tons of tracks I don’t particularly love the studio version of. But still – there are a few songs from ’00-’02 that are just really hard for me to get into, such as "Walkin’ With J", "Go To California", "B.S.", "What If…", "My Best Friend", "Neverland"… Of course I can enjoy them in a live setting, but it would have to go pretty "far from source".

I heard an interview with someone in The Doors (it may have been Robbie Krieger), who said that the studio albums were merely "maps of what we do live", and that same point can definitely be made about MP if you wish. What’s especially great is that it is also true for the "pop-era". So yes, we’re pretty much in agreement, although I’ll keep wishing and hoping for certain tracks before others, and some things just don't look tempting on paper.

Re: Trust Us, yes "Superstooge", VS and "Hey, Jane" still turn up every now and then. I suppose my post was mainly about the more rarely played tracks. The thought just struck me when I heard the interview about the new double-guitar/bass (not having to change between guitar/bass for Rad. Freq. ie.).

bionaut
                            Participant

'Go to California' is not a tune I normally get overly excited about on a setlist. This show, it blew me away. This is something Motorpsycho can do that no other band I have ever known can do. They can take a song you have set your mind against, and turn you around. I think it was the little 'Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida' tease on the bass that did it. Is that something Bent has done before? Wicked.

@The Other Anders – as an old hardcore fan I'm one of those who moan when he reads a setlist with titles he doesn't aprreciate too much. Whenever I see a title from the infamous "pop-trilogy", I feel like "Hey, if I were still a smoker, I could get out for a lot of smoking in this concert!"… and this concert has a tune from every piece of the trilogy! :D

Nonetheless, especially since Tomas is aboard, the titles on the list are less imprtant than ever, they all become "Jam veichles", to use a Phishead term… for hard it is for me to believe in a GoToCal that blows any mind, well, I'm sure it's how it is! Even the setlist from yesterday, with only a song from the 90s (Greener, not my favourite!), I'm sure it was a great concert.

Nonetheless (again), I'd like to dance and/or move my head to some even-time from the nineties a bit more than it's happening in this start of tour. And yes, there's especially a lot of stuff from their White Album Trust Us that I'd love to hear again and again (Rad Freq, 577, Psychonaut).

Ueberpilgrim? So I was right, though I thought I was wrong :)

It was interesting when they did it back in the Behind/Blissard tour, maybe a little too slow in the build up. Is this rendition identical, or has it some new "structural" change (I'm thinking of the many many different versions of Close your Eyes along the years…)

TraktorBass
                              Participant

@The Other Anders:

Quote:
                                Back in the day we traveled for weeks to witness stuff like this. These days they reach the boiling point 3-4 songs into the opening night already.

This is a very interesting point that I haven't seen mentioned before. Obviously they get better at improvising, reading and playing off each other year by year by sheer practice, but it never struck me that they must have been 'worse' at some point, I guess.

Are you saying that the really stellar jams were fewer and further between back in the days?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994