The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Home Forums General The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

@punknotyet :D :D ha ha. Thanks. There have a been a whole bunch of great reviews and comments here. I always find other people's reviews open my ears to new aspects of the music and make me listen a little more attentively and sometimes more critically (which I reckon is never a bad thing as long as it doesn't get in the way of the pleasure of listening itself ;) ). And today is a new day, and oh, what's that coming out of the speakers? Yep Psychotzar, soon to be followed by … well, you already know. :D

@boomer If you shout loud enough I might hear you across the peaks and valleys ;) Have a great trip. :D

@supernaut A friend has sent me files via dropbox, so once I get it onto my mp3 player, I'll be taking it for a walk among the local hills :D It feels perfect for the views you get around here, especially with the snow-capped peaks that rise into view behind our house. We're in Dharamsala, where the Dalai Lama lives – I think even he might appreciate Lux Aeterna ;)

marc
      Participant

@punj

Although i don't share the enthusiasm, thanks for the review! a pleasure to read. Safe travels!

Punj Lizard
        Participant

Thanks marc

Kid A
          Participant

After some more spins and streams, it´s time to reflect again on the record. It definitely grew in some regards, and it´s remarkable, that an piece like The Crucible can cause earworms :wink:

When I reflect my first impressions and opinion here in the forum, I realize what happened: MP did a fair share of pieces that stretched much too long with no real direction and much to much uninspired noodling, Gullible´s Travail is a good example.

And the track The Crucible seemed to do the same, so I automatically shied away from it. But after some listenings I have to say, that the quality is much more higher, there´s a reoccuring theme, that guides us through the track and each part has a reason and works for the greater good of the whole piece. Brilliant. Love album, will listen

Punj Lizard
            Participant

Snah – the final resolving section of the crazy jazzy part of Lux Aeterna (6:30-8.26) – you f*cking rule!!

shakti
              Participant

Agree with Kid A above. I have been able to give it several good rounds with headphones today, and can safely conclude: they have delivered again. In fact, the average quality of this album is perhaps the highest they have ever achieved. The production, arranging, playing and writing quality is sky high throughout. There is (hardly) no wasted moment. Everything makes sense and carries some kind of charge and excitement, even the noise section in The Crucible or the wig-out in the middle of Lux Aeterna.

Every band member carries his weight and then some. Snah delivers big-time. Particularly love the solos and twin guitars in Psychonaut (his attack reminds me a bit of my hero John McLaughlin) and the desperate playing at the end of the Lux Aeterna mid section as singled out by Punj Lizard. His playing there has much of the spirit of his 96-98 kind of playing – less noodling, more screaming and going for it, nevermind the occasional flub. Bent is Bent, what more to say? And Thomas? Get out of here. I didn't find his playing on The Tower timid at all (as suggested by Bent), just listen to how he propels Ship of Fools to ever higher heights. But he is absolutely possessed throughout this album. Is this the best drumming ever on a Motorpsycho album? Very possibly. It's hard to surpass Gebhardt in overall impact, he was such an integral part to their most iconic albums and a supremely musical drummer, capable of ESP-like ensemble playing which is crucial to the Motorpsycho experience. Kenneth introduced new levels of virtuosity and power. But Thomas somehow magically resolves those two.

The songs themselves this time are all excellent. All the themes are memorable and moving. The sound of the record/production is also superb IMO.

So overall, am I back-pedaling as I suggested I might be doing? Not really. The *overall* impression remains; this is an excellent album, but not one which will crack my top 5. Probably top 10. I love all facets of Motorpsycho, but most of all I love the Motorpsycho that displays everything all at once, all the time. And they need a double album to do so. This one is simply too short. But I know they did that on purpose, and I dig that too. It's another leaf on the (beatiful) tree. I also love the Motorpsycho that pulls something entirely new out of the hat. I'm not sure I am hearing that here. On The Tower, there were several moments where I caught myself thinking "this doesn't sound like anything else they've done before, yet it's sooo very Motorpsycho". And lastly, I love more than anything the Motorpsycho that reaches for the stars and gets there, getting to heights that other bands aren't even capable of imagining. Such heights as The Wheel, The Golden Core, S.T.G., Un Chien d'Espace, Vortex Surfer and…dammit…Ship of Fools. No such moment here, but it's almost silly to even mention it. I feel greedy and unthankful. Shame on me.

It's a killer album. Love it. Can't wait for the next one.

Johnny_Heartfield
                Participant

'The Wheel, The Golden Core, S.T.G., Un Chien d'Espace, Vortex Surfer and…dammit…Ship of Fools'…

I could easily add 'The crucible' to this favourite list – I think this is a superb composition, never a lenght in 20 minutes…

As for 'Lux Aeterna': still think the track could do without the very last chorus and end on a silent note – but that would probably be like removing the spectral rainbow from Floyd's Dark Side Cover and leave the white ray alone. So be it with all transcendental pomp and glory – also a great piece.

shakti
                  Participant

Nah, Lux Aeterna is great with that last drum fill and chorus again. A very obvious nod to In the Court of the Crimson King, but that was kind of ovious already, so why not spell it out loud? ;-)

Ercarnar
                    Participant

I agree with most of what has been written, but one thing really makes me disagree

I think Gullible's Travails is my favourite track, no wasted moments there in my opinion, not even a second. It all builds up until it explodes, it's just a different type of improvvisation.

Punj, I really love the fact that there is somebody with such a strong enthusiasm as you in this forum. I usually don't write a lot because I feel like a child getting excited for small things. But I see I'm not the only one :D thank you. Also, listening to prog rock on himalaya is like the most badass thing I can think of :D

Is it me or does that noise-section in the title track (10-13 min) sounds like it's inspired by the recent Starhammer performances? Like it a lot tho, of my favourite sections of the album!

… which is inspired by møster stuff, check it out :-)

supernaut
                      Participant

title track is a masterpiece and worth the album purchase by itself.

Punj Lizard
                        Participant
                          Quote:
                          His playing there has much of the spirit of his 96-98 kind of playing – less noodling, more screaming and going for it, nevermind the occasional flub.

Yes, Shakti! This!

@Ercarner – Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I should reign it in. Among all you long-time fans I feel a little naïve, but then I think, fuck that, this band is so freaking amazing. My old-time favourite band Yes were basically spent after 10 years, with the odd occasional moment of inspiration, but how MP continue, album after album, year after year, for thirty years (THIRTY YEARS!!!) to still put out immense albums like this just beggars belief. And with the way they play live I remain constantly in awe.

boomer former helm
                          Participant

@punj: greetz to dharamsala, remember it back from 2000, so i might get the right direction for a nice loud motorpsychodelic scream towards you. hope see you later this year on a show somewhere again!!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 232 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994